Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skywarp ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 01:35PM

I live with serious depression and living here has made it a hundred times worse. The weather, my TBM family, feeling like an outcast every day because of my sexuality/race (esp in my ward). I've wanted to get out of here forever and recently an opportunity to move to a new state for maybe 6-12 months came up (very low rent w/ family). I could find a job there and if I like it, stay permanently and find my own place or get roommates.

The only problem is covid. It's the worst timing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 02:16PM

I recommend securing the job first and completely researching the area to see if it will be a better fit... then make the leap. A change of life can improve your depression greatly. You are probably going to live the same covid lifestyle in your new location. Consider how you will get there as well, as many states have restrictions and quarentine new incoming residents/visitors.

RMM

Date: July 26, 2020 02:35PM

That's a good idea. I've been there a few times and I really like the area. The people I'd be staying with live in a cool neighborhood and it's easy to get around. I was researching jobs yesterday to see how easily I could start applying.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 02:20PM

Do you mean that you have purchased a ticket ?

Date: July 26, 2020 02:36PM

No sorry it was more like "I found a way to get the hell out of heere."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 03:14PM

Is it safe to say that if things didn't work out, you'd be able to return to glorious Utah?

If that's the case, I would absolutely go for it!

Because you already know you could put up with the worst that could happen, having to return to Utah.

Life is nothing but a risk and sometimes being proactive rather than reactive is a good thing.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 04:57PM

I second this advice.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 05:05PM

I third this advice.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 03:35PM

Check the cost of housing and utilities there to see if you could eventually make it on your own, or with roommates. I agree with Recovered Molly Mo that it's best to secure a job first, especially with the pandemic. Apart from that, it sounds like a good opportunity.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 03:43PM

I will agree that getting out of Utah is important. More important is what you have lined up. House? Apartment? Job?

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 04:56PM

Skywarp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only problem is covid. It's the worst timing.
>

No. The (there is not only one, if that's how it's looked at) problem is, like you said, scatting where you are. Leaving there and going there is routine. That's it!

True, it's ALWAYS going to be the worst timing. Had we all seen it coming we could have planned...

COVID is going to be everywhere - and nowhere - at once, for a long time. Nothing much one can do about it that isn't already recommended. We'll assume you are driving (not planes/ airports, buses, or by 'car pull' or train)? Wash sometimes but get extremely dirty at others. Think great thoughts and big ideas and ignore all the petty stuff, as you can.

Fresh air. Walks. Meditation. Yoga. Exercise. Sports. Whatever floats your boat. If you don't have one, get one. Maybe you don't need one. Or fly, at least in your dreams. Travel. Trip (let go, trust!). That's one of the best things. Even trip out (West) once in a while. Everybody does it. Main Thing: be free as you can or want to be.

It's going to affect someone or it's not. We can only do what we can do. We're only part way around on this roller coaster and the scarier parts may not have come yet.

It's tough.
Stick it out!
Stay cool.
Be YOU!

Go East, West, North, or South Young one, and THRIVE. You are alive, as you strive (to exit MOOtah), as this is your life!

Live, and Love

P. S. Beck - Wow (single, 2016)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCkhPTU13w

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 05:59PM

A new locale can do wonders for morale. At the same time, this is an akward time to make a move. Cool neighborhoods aren't so cool at the moment. My own daughter wanted to secure an apartment over the summer in town in the cool area where the company she had interned with last summer, and who had offered her a position starting after she finished her masters degree (which she did in June).

The position was to start this August (after this summer's interns finished up), so even last Fall she wanted to go ahead and get moved in over the upcoming summer (which we're living through now, and much has changed).

Anyway, I understand the excitement about living in town and on her own, but I pointed out that neighborhoods aren't cool when you really can't be out and about anyway (and fortunately she agreed).

I would have encouraged her to wait and see, even pre-Covid. It's not a horrible commute, with an express bus stop not far from our suburban home (she rode it all last summer for the internship), but figured there was no rush to disagree with her. I even encouraged her to be open to other options--the offer could be her baseline.

Anyway, fast forward several months, mid-Covid, when I decided to talk to her about it, and she and the potential roommate had already agreed to wait (so, easy for me). But since then, she's also been "furloughed" before even starting. To be more specific, they want her to attend two weeks of in-processing training, but then not actually start until some point later in time. And one of my concerns--jaded from the software industry--is that sometimes you may end up not liking the new job, or it may not work out long term. Better to be cautious, and stay home until everything is really somewhat steady at the new job.

Sorry, I've gone a little off track.

My point is that this is a much more difficult and uncertain time to move than usual. Move's can be great, but the uncertainty factor is much higher at this point in time.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 06:44PM

You can buy anything in this world with money - including freedom.

I would secure a job first before the move as your own money will make you less dependent on anyone including a domestic donation-seeking terrorist organization.

Who care about covid? Take precautions as would where you are but just live your life. Waiting till things are perfect prevents you from enjoying the future now.

BUT get a job first. Money buys many tickets out of there.
Do not deceive yourself you need a job first. Then the rest will follow.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 06:48PM

I advise being willing to offer these nice relatives a generous rent. Have some money saved up it may take time to get that first paycheck. Some businesses only pay monthly, or may not even pay when training a new person for a few weeks. And make sure you've got a reliable car that's not going to break down everyday.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 08:25PM

"Some businesses only pay monthly..."

Who the hell does that?

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 01:35AM

None of your business.

Just kidding Beth.

Huggers :)

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 02:40PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 05:45PM

In my career, I moved about 15 times, all to different living condition from extra small towns to large metro areas.

Most places and people were different, but if you went with the flow, it wasn't too hard to make friends and learn things of the new area to like and appreciate.

To me it was state of mind and I've made great friends and memories that has enriched my life.

Just think of what the missionaries do, but with the freedom to come and go as you please.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.