Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 09:06PM

In keeping with the conversation topic of the Equal Rights Amendment, please keep in mind this was said just literally last April in the LDS conference. So what has been said here is not some thing from hundreds of years ago this is now. And as a woman, I personally think we should all be horrifically offended by this and realize that this religion will never change regarding its attitude on women and make our choices accordingly.

“Seeing women as vital participants is not about creating parity, but about understanding doctrinal truths.

Rather than establishing a program to bring that about, We can actively work to devalue women as God does.”

12:28

https://youtu.be/BXtGRuFITPA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 09:21PM

“I have a hard time with historians because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting. It destroys. I could tell most of the secretaries in the Church office building that they are ugly and fat. That would be the truth, but it would hurt and destroy them. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting.”

Boyd K. Packer, Faithful History: Essay on Writing Mormon History, p.103,

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 11:01PM

Who’s running the church, Homer Simpson?

So Mormon history is fat and ugly. Instead of working out and getting in shape, it’s better to not look in the mirror.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 12:01PM

Brutality of truth
Truth is brutal. It is non-compromising to circumstance. It is what it is and not what we may want it to be. It will withstand scrutiny. Truth is devastating to the liar. They can be called to account for their lies and will almost a;ways become belligerent and violent when exposed. However truth will not be thwarted. It will force it's way to the fore and demand attention.
People are generally taught that a little white lie is acceptable if it saves hurt or embarrassment. But is it worth surrendering your personal integrity to tell one?
So if I always tell the truth as I see it I will need to be prepared to accept the behavioral consequences it engenders.
Many times people will ask you if like the dress, skirt, shirt or whatever they are wearing. I always answer “Do you really want to know or are you seeking my endorsement of your choice? If the answer is “I want to know” then you are obligated to say yes I like it or no I do not like it. Coupled wit “Would you like to know why?” the brutality of the truth can be lessened.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 10:15AM

Mormonism is not for you.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 10:25AM

You consistently confuse your opinions with "the truth." There is a galaxy sized hole between what you think and what is matter of fact. Little white lies hide opinions more than "the truth."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 09:25PM

I watched the opening and as my gorge began to rise, I fast-forwarded to the 12:28 mark...

How sad.

I have a 15 year old TBM granddaughter, so I partake of the sadness. One of her older brothers escaped the cult, so I have a basis for hope.

Posted by: written address ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 10:28PM

It must have been a Freudian slip. The written version of the talk says value, and not devalue:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2020/04/34bingham?lang=eng

Date: July 28, 2020 01:48AM

They don't need revelations anymore.

They will just wait 100 years and add them in the editing room.

No wonder the Book of Mormon reads like an 1830s action movie.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 01:34PM

All I can say in response is WTF?!..... This is the reason I left the church in the first place.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 04:06PM

Anyone else notice this, that they always seem to put these valley girls (Utah style) in top positions, The SAHTW in the big outshining houses up on the bench, beauty parlor every week, with the nails done, the tanning done, book club ladies where they gossip half the day. Always going on trips and cruises. None of these women have had to work full time (unless it's the token single) and even then it's always in management. Not the blue collars or mechanic inclined. These republican housewives are usually the ones who shame other's of their sex who can't quite be as special as desired.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 10:08AM

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 06:34PM

The LDS church has long sanctified the submission of women. It has been a calculated effort over decades to ensure women continue to put in hundreds of thousands of hours of free labor, without which the church organization would crumble. Privileged white men want to maintain power and manipulate “divine revelation” in order to do so. Nothing new here.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 12:05PM

Date: July 28, 2020 10:35PM

When is the last time that you saw a smart, charismatic female in a lead position anywhere in the church?

Sheri Dew is the only that even came close despite lacking all of the aforementioned qualities. And that was probably because she was related. The brethren dislike people who think for themselves and women who do they especially despise. It undermines the whole pay pray and obey concept as it asks people to take perspectives outside of the one dimensional evil vs LDS world they constantly want to promote.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.