Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 10:13PM

Length: 1 minute, 40 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUHP6ot-JPg

[It is about all the different kinds of Jews worldwide: Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Mizrahi, Ethiopian, etc.]

I thought your BF might find it of interest too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 12:05PM

I watched it and I believe that we could all gain insight from watching it!!!

Date: August 11, 2020 02:38PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I watched it and I believe that we could all gain
> insight from watching it!!!

It is SO difficult to try to explain the enormous variety of Jews in words, and here it all is, totally understandable to everyone, in less than two minutes!

Thank you, thedesertrat1!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 12:29PM

I had no idea there were so many different groups from so many countries. Such a wide variety.

My boyfriend's ex-wife's family came from Germany BEFORE WWII thankfully.

Date: August 11, 2020 02:57PM

In words, the variety of Jews worldwide is frequently incomprehensible--sometimes even if the "audience" is Jewish! :D

About German heritage: If, as I very strongly suspect, I do actually have Jewish forebears, they are absolutely from my paternal side (so they "don't count" when it comes to determining Jewishness)...and they are from so far back that it is unlikely that records either still exist, or that the specific information I would need could be found in those records. (According to my paternal grandmother, her ancestors were among the Jews sent to the Crimea by Catherine II. I do have family photographs from that period--formally posed, with everyone dressed in clothing from the early 1800s--and these photos are plainly from the Crimea (the writing on the paper "frame" is in Cyrillic, and identifies the location).

When my Grandma's ancestors came to America, they settled in what is now South Dakota (where my Grandma was born) and began farming. After Grandma married Grandpa, they moved to eastern Washington (Yakima area), had two sons (both of whom, as it turns out, are my "father" ;) ), and then--when both sons had graduated from high school, the family moved south, to Southern California--where my Dad met my Mom (a fairly recent arrival from Oklahoma; it was Depression time, and her family was part of that westward migration towards the Pacific Ocean), where (regardless of my actual paternity) I was subsequently born.

Grandma, when she was telling me her family story, had no idea that she was, simultaneously, telling me that her family were likely, ancestrally, Jews--but it made perfect sense to me, even back then.

I will likely never know "the truth," but it's kind of nice to know that the possibility exists.

Date: August 11, 2020 12:32PM

Denver and I can't remember what organization he is a part of. His wife converted.

His daughter is active, too, but lives far from a Jewish community on an island off Vancouver.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 01:11AM

During my time in Social Security, I had to take a claim from a Sephardic lady who spoke LadiƱo. It's close enough to Spanish to be workable. She had been in one of the Nazi camps and had a number tattooed on her arm. At the end of the interview, she threw her arms around me and said I was the first adult female she had been able to communicate with since coming to America, outside family. It was a remarkable experience.

Date: August 12, 2020 01:59AM

This is a beautiful story, catnip.

Thank you!

Date: August 12, 2020 02:26AM

Tevai, That is quite a story, the moving around, etc., but I guess many of our relatives here in the U.S. moved around like that. It could so easily be lost in the shuffle what the heritage is. I think it wouldn't surprise many of us to find out we had other genes in us that we have no clue about.

It would be great if you could find out, but I think you already know you have a Jewish heritage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.