Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 03:09PM

I want to begin this by declaring my prejudice. Even though I’m a devout atheist I have the greatest respect for the Salvation Army. I like the way they handle their Christianity. If I ever wanted to make a suggestion to the stupid (meaning impervious to logic, truth, honesty, and integrity) Mormon leadership, I would suggest for them to model themselves after the Salvation Army. Instead of having a multi-billion reserve, the Salvation Army would have used the funds to help the widow, orphan, poor, homeless, etc. My second suggestion for the Mormons would be to re-read the Sermon on the Mount, given by their “namesake” and see if they could possibly aspire to at least manage to meet the criteria offered by, not to make it too tough, at least 50%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 03:26PM

+Bridman:
devout atheist? What's that?

~~~~iceman9090

Date: July 27, 2020 03:38PM

Devotion to the Infinite Nothingness.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 03:41PM

> devout atheist? What's that?

Devout atheists are like devout Mormons but with more time, more money, and more friends.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 04:03PM

Do I need to show my Devout Atheist card ?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 04:07PM

No. Any credit card will do.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 08:12AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 08:14AM by caffiend.

Date: July 28, 2020 08:14AM

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 11:47PM

A Thinking Heathen, Even I Sin Too

Date: July 27, 2020 03:48PM

+Lot's Wife:
Ok, so I am a charismatic atholic atocostal atheist.
All flexible joints will be bent into a L shape!

~~~~atheist

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 06:21PM

I’m not a devout atheist, I’m more of a Christmas and Easter kind of atheist.

Actually, on those rare occasions when someone asks about my religious orientation, I describe myself as a born again agnostic.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 11:49PM

Only problem: Salvation Army is a giver, while Mormonism is a taker.

Deal Breaker

Date: July 28, 2020 07:59AM

+ufotofu:
"Only problem: Salvation Army is a giver, while Mormonism is a taker.

Deal Breaker"

==Aren't you being unfair to the LDS. They do various charity work.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/latter-day-saints-provide-disaster-relief-to-tennessee-tornado-victims

"Latter-day Saints in Cookeville, Tenn., cut a fallen tree on Saturday, March 15, 2020. Volunteers also helped repair damaged homes and distribute hygiene kits during their weekend of service to help people impacted by the deadly tornadoes."

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 12:52AM

Hey Birdman. I agree with you about the Salvation Army. My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. On the front lines the Red Cross would go to the soldiers and ask them to pay for blankets they were handing out. The Salvation Army gave them blankets without asking for a dime. My dad was so thankful for their aid during the war that my mother has given generously to the Salvation Army for years. I think I will start donating more to them now that Mom is gone. They always thanked me sincerely every time I made a donation. The Mormons never thanked me, ever. They only wanted to know why I didn't give more. And now I find it is all sitting in a billion dollar fund doing nothing. Wow. I'd love to see what the Salvation Army could do with that money.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 03:08AM

Birdman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Instead of having a multi-billion reserve, the
> Salvation Army would have used the funds to help
> the widow, orphan, poor, homeless, etc. My second
> suggestion for the Mormons would be to re-read the
> Sermon on the Mount, given by their “namesake"

ummmmmmmm MORmON gave the sermon on the mount ?????

Date: July 28, 2020 08:13AM

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7)

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 11:30AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 11:59AM

I have mixed feelings about the org because they do many good works, but have also had some bad marks over the years.

Date: July 28, 2020 09:24PM

Their so-called "good works" are ultimately financed by taxpayers.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 12:05PM

Is there evidence that they have refused help or service to groups or individuals based solely on their lifestyle, color, politics or anything else?

Date: July 28, 2020 12:11PM

If you read the article, the organization is trying to practice non-discrimination with regard to delivery of services, but it's been an ongoing struggle. The struggle emanates from their church doctrine which disapproves of homosexuality.

Date: July 28, 2020 05:30PM

What is the reality of that struggle? Have they refused anyone charitable service because of it or are they condemned for their beliefs rather than their actions? If the history of "saying one thing and doing another" means they still offer charity to anyone despite things, life styles etc. they disagree with, that is one thing. If they say they discriminate against no one and yet do, that is another. What are they actually being criticized for here?

Date: July 28, 2020 05:47PM

Yes, in the past the Salvation Army has refused charity. You may wish to read the attached article, in which some examples are given. I mentioned their beliefs because those beliefs do seem to have an occasionally negative impact on their charitable efforts.

I should add that it's not just this article, I've been aware of this issue for many years. My mom loved the Salvation Army and thought that the organization did wonderful work. I was disappointed to learn that the SA does not have a completely stellar reputation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 05:48PM by summer.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 12:27PM

I'll wait for the Salvation Space Force to bring the [[good news]] iron kettle to the Moon Quakers.

Date: July 28, 2020 12:46PM

I want to offer a brief explanation. My original post was guided by the great Yahoo. Under ITs guidance and inspiration, I put down ITs words. Then the post was denigrated by people replying totally off topic. In the middle of the night Yahoo whispered to me not to get discouraged because they would eventually respond “on topic”. I would have written down all IT said but it was dark and I didn’t have a pen.

Then I saw some of the other posts that question my original conclusions. I again called upon Yahoo and again IT whispered to me in the middle of the night. Learning from my past experience I had a flashlight, paper and pencil handy. The voice said “engrave this in your heart”. I bore down heavily on the paper and inscribed ITs words. Unfortunately, I bore down a little too hard and my pencil lead broke. But luckily, I remember what was said – in essence.

IT said that those that did not agree with my original post simply did not know how to pray with a sincere and humble heart. The true order of prayer requires eight people leaning forward to form the sign of the tent. Unfortunately, some of you may not be able to find 7 friends.

Yaba Daba Doo

Date: July 28, 2020 02:51PM

It's weird when the responses to post take a direction you didn't expect, isn't it?

I agree with you that the Mormon church could learn a lot from the Salvation Army when it comes to delivering charity work. They could learn a lot from the Catholic church, or the UMC Methodist church, or a bunch of other churches. Sadly, it's just not what the Mormon church is about.

Date: July 28, 2020 07:51PM

Since it had gone the route of humor I was just trying to follow suit. My post was not an indictment of anyone. I hope that I didn't give the wrong impression nor was it intended to denigrate the poster who had quite seriously shared his personal feelings.

As to the Salvation Army, no organization is perfect and I respect organizations that acknowledge that fact. The organization that I take extreme umbrage with, the Mormon's, see no flaw in their organization. The only flaw that they acknowledge is in some human error made by one of their "well intentioned leaders" and then only if they are caught in some corner.

Date: July 28, 2020 08:31PM

Yes, the SA has at least acknowledged their problems and made an effort to improve.

Date: July 29, 2020 10:37AM

I think that with tens of thousands of volunteer workers there will always be those with independent ideas who will inject their own views into the application of the mission statement.

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 05:34PM

I used to regularly contribute to the S.A. But, I don't anymore because of their discriminatory beliefs and practices towards LGBT+'s. But, I still admire all of the charitable service they provide to those in need.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 06:08PM

Me too. Plus I HATE that bell ringing thing they do at every doorway I need to go through for two months straight.

I'll contribute to the poor other ways that don't involve Jesus, discriminatory views or annoying noises.

I do appreciate their efforts to help those in need. I think they do more than a lot of others who claim to be charitable.

Date: August 11, 2020 07:20PM

Is this the same salvation army that wants gays to be killed ?

Date: August 11, 2020 11:19PM

Are you shooting from the hip or do you have real evidence that the Salvation Army wants gays killed? If you are going to take the time to answer my question please don't give me some You Tube yokel spouting hate. What I would expect is some official statement coming from the Salvation Army leadership about wanting gays killed.

This is all news to me and I am open to being wrong but it bothers me to be confronted with unsubstantiated accusations such as your comment.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 11:59PM

But I wanted a Youtube yokel...

Date: August 12, 2020 02:12AM

Disappointing and I don't mean your response but the Salvation Army. Even though it took place in Australia and was a response of a PR person for the Salvation Army in Australia it still is very troubling. I always thought being poor was the qualifying criterion. I didn't know that being a murderer was better than being gay. Christianity is strange.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 02:24AM

I hate the Salvation Army.

Same old bs and nothing, NOTHING, is freely given. They roped my cousin into their army of lunatics. Cult. Cult. Cult.

Posted by: otowndrone ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 10:57PM

I want to begin this by declaring my prejudice. Even though I’m a devout non believer of the LDS church I have the greatest respect for the LDS church. I like the way they handle their Christianity. If I ever wanted to make a suggestion to Salvation Army leadership, I would suggest for them to model themselves after the LDS Church.

Headline: LDS Church giving $5.5M in cash to relief agencies to help against coronavirus (including the Salvation Army):
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/04/30/lds-church-giving-m-cash/

Headline: LDS CHAPEL DONATED TO SALVATION ARMY:
https://www.deseret.com/1988/6/20/18769143/lds-chapel-donated-to-salvation-army

Headline: Salvation Army continues to meet need with drive through food distributions (the LDS Church being one of their sources for food donations):
https://www.newfrontierchronicle.org/salvation-army-continues-to-meet-need-with-drive-through-food-distributions/

Headline: Salvation Army and Partners to Provide Food Boxes for Mother’s Day (with the LDS church as a partner):
https://bigislandnow.com/2020/05/08/salvation-army-and-partners-to-provide-food-boxes-for-mothers-day/

How about assistance to Catholic Charities:

Headline: Church Receives Recognition for Its Help With Catholic Charities in Houston:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-receives-recognition-for-its-help-with-catholic-charities-in-houston

Headline: Catholic Charities partners with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to serve the community:
https://todayscatholic.org/catholic-charities-partners-with-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-to-serve-the-community/

Headline: LDS Church donates 40k pounds of food to HPFB, Catholic Charities:
https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/lds-church-donates-40k-pounds-of-food-to-hpfb-catholic-charities

The list of donations made by the LDS church to outside organizations goes on and on so I am calling "foul" on Birdman for his misguided post.

I applaud the Church on it's turning a near financial collapse in its early years to a multi billion dollar organization that it is today!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 13, 2020 09:39AM

IMO, religion shouldn't be about multi billions of dollars. Religions should be expected to routinely provide charitable services. It's the least they can do considering, you know...Jesus and their tax exempt status for charity.
Charitable donations shouldn't be a small percentage of their vast investments.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 13, 2020 10:12AM

I suppose its rather easy to applaud the Mormon church when your focus is money and you can easily turn a blind eye to the lies and damage it does.

The idea that a small charitable donation is worthy of applause from such a despicable entity is very telling.

What's next? Food drive by the Klan?

All the worst organizations use a small donation as a distraction and as proof that they aren't really that bad. Give me a break.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.