Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 05:06PM

I have been defining those things which are indicators that an organization might be a cult.
The folowing is one of those indicators

This is one of the key indicators that you are involved with a cult.
Don't stop to think. Just do as you are told!
A cult will always attempt to control the mind of the member to the point where they respond automatically to the wishes of the leader. Never mind that the request is inappropriate or even jepardous the leader must be followed.
An example would be the leader says “Mrs. Do and so needs her lawn mowed. You go do it.” Not asking for volunteers. Just assigning “you” to go do it and seriously expecting you to perform as directed.
Usually this would be accompanied with a smile but not necessarily so.
Many times this is labeled a calling. Since the leader is “called of God” when you are asked to do anything it is as if God himself were calling out to you to do it. And surely you would not say no to God would you?
This method of continuing your voluntary submission to “other” mind control becomes so much of your response repertory, that is your automated responses, you would never even dream of thinking about it so that you could make an informed decision as to whether or not it is in your best interest to accept or reject the “calling”.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 13, 2020 11:30PM

One day as we sat down to dinner my step mother got a call from the relief society president desperate for someone to take a meal to a neighbor.

My step mother promptly took all the food off of our table. Scooped it into tupperware and walked across the street.

When she got home she made us sandwiches.

Dad very calmly but forcefully told her that will never happen again.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 12:59AM

How does this help my recovery ?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 14, 2020 09:15PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does this help my recovery ?
It might help you to better recognize the attempt by organized religion to pursue mind control

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 15, 2020 10:07AM

Cults have a long list of identifying factors, but for me the defining of a cult comes down to one big red flag flapping crazily in the wind of common sense.

The member is expected to get all "truth" from one sole source--the cult. Anything else is suspect and should be disregarded as false solely on the cult's say-so if the cult chooses. Any viable information you may find can only be accepted if the cult gives the okay. This is also called relinquishing your integrity.

"When the prophet has spoken the thinking has been done."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.