Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 08:02PM

My grandmother, born in 1890, was a married adult with 4 children before she was allowed to vote in this, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The fight for women's suffrage started at near both the same time and same place as Mormonism: Seneca Falls, NY, 1848. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Palmyra.

Amazing that it took 70 plus years to get women the vote, and it was not a gentle battle. Neither major party ever endorsed the suffrage amendment before its passage, and only one presidential candidate endorsed it - Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 when he ran under the banner of the Progressive Party. BTW, it was the the Republican Senators that passed the amendment. They used to be the progressive party once upon a time, and the other party was the party of Jim Crow and no vote for women. Ironic, that.

Anyway, a toast to suffrage. It was a long slog for what now seems like such an obvious wrong that needed to be changed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 08:22PM

Here's something I didn't learn about in school - the Silent Sentinels who demonstrated in front of the White House for months on end around World War I. These women were heroes. My grandfather had a cousin who was part of this. If you don't know about them, prepare to be shocked at what they endured. https://www.nps.gov/articles/national-womans-party-protests-world-war-i.htm.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 09:06PM

thx 4 voting the right way ~

OK now ~

thx 4 getting back in the kitchen and making ziller a sandwich ~

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 09:18PM

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 09:50PM

Mike Lee probably told him about "spirit prison" but he misunderstood.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 10:17PM

Did he grab her p...y?

Posted by: moremanyME ( )
Date: August 20, 2020 06:46PM

I hope not. Poor puppy. Bad boy!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 20, 2020 07:13PM

A Susan B. Anthony Museum spokeswoman says Ms. Anthony would reject the pardon. She would consider accepting it as an acknowledgement of guilt. She didn't consider herself guilty of wrongdoing in the face of egregious discrimination.

Many suffragettes on hunger strikes were force fed, a violent tactic and most unpleasant. I'm thinking of women in the UK. Not sure if that happened in the US.

Worthy of admiration and massive thanks, these strong tough female activists.

It was 1929 before women were considered "persons" and thereby able to become senators. The first female senator was appointed in 1930. In 1918 some women were permitted to vote federally. Some women were allowed to vote prior to that in some provinces. The process to full enfranchisement was arduous. We just got our first female federal finance minister this week. Our finance minister in Canada is viewed as 2nd in command behind the prime minister. We've had one female PM in our history but that was by default, not a full official federal election.

Still a ways to go but things seem to be moving in the right direction. Slow though eh?

Posted by: The Olfactory Fiend ( )
Date: August 18, 2020 10:48PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 12:01AM

When I studied in school about suffrage in the USA I was shocked to discover my highly educated, highly intelligent grandmother could not vote until she was married and 26 years old. I had always thought suffrage came about much earlier.

Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 01:08AM

My family's from California where a state-wide suffrage measure passed in 1911. One of my grandmothers registered in 1912, the other in 1916. https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/celebrating-womens-suffrage/california-women-suffrage-centennial/. Other states had woman suffrage before 1920.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 01:30AM

As a territory, Utah was #2 (1870) after Wyoming (1869)
As a state, Utah was third (1896) after Wyoming (1890) and Colorado (1893)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 01:12AM

My German-born Grandma, who got her American citizenship by virtue of being married to a Canadian who had served in the U.S. Army during WWI (he was made a citizen too) proudly voted in that first election. She was born in 1887.

She continued to vote for the remainder of her life. She considered it the duty of every American, and she took it very seriously.

This Grandma was probably the most "maternal" figure in my life. She was the source of nurturing, guidance, being there when I needed a shoulder to cry on. My own mother was not even a contender for the job.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 09:33AM

The first thing I was required to do when I moved to the US in 1970 was register for the draft.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 03:56PM

You can be proud of this. In France, women only got the vote in 1945, mainly due to their strong representation in the resistance (including by my late MIL).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.