Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helpingmom ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 05:06PM

Hi all, I realize that this isn't an LDS website, but I am trying to find a livestream LDS church service for my TBM mother in Utah.

I am non-Mormon and live outside Utah and have no idea about the situation with LDS church services. All the churches in my area are livestreaming services, but I wasn't able to find any LDS ones listed online that she could watch.

I would rather not contact the Mormon church as I would prefer not to be proselytized. :)

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions! Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 07:55PM

To the best of my knowledge, no mormon services are being streamed. Perhaps a few wards are holding some meetings via Zoom, but those would only be open to ward members or others with the proper ID codes.

That kind of livestreaming would necessarily be at the ward level, and would take up resources ($$) that the church frankly doesn't want to release. That's why it's all home church this, home church that, bishop has to OK sacrament at home etc. Streaming another ward's services would compete with local control.

Your local non-mormon churches are streaming because they have some measure of autonomy. In contrast, mormon wards can't really do anything without authorization from above.

You'd think the top mormon leaders would be at minimum recording weekly messages of hope and comfort, but they seem to be unable to clear even that low bar.

Best bet is to have TBM mom contact her own local leaders to find out what if anything might be available for her.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 08:23PM

Just have her watch conference talks on Sunday...at least the choir numbers would be decent.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 08:43PM

Found one...might not be in her Stake but perhaps close enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8f7Kj1yiE

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 09:35PM

The Mormon 'church' isn't welcoming.

It doesn't want people looking at it or talking about it.

That's why there is no welcome sign or worship hours posted at any brick & morter cult box anywhere worldwide.

They want to get you in the back door and act like there is no front door.

LDS (mis)leaders watch the people. Not the other way around.

It's called deadstreaming (because Mormonism is never live). Mormons aren't allowed to live, or associate, with any living people.

They are waiting to be mainstream before they livestream.

That'll never happen.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:53AM

My TBM Mom had access to her ward's service emailed to her. The church was very careful in restricting access to known members.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:51AM

I may be wrong, but I think that there church has chosen those EXACT words for a specific legal reason. I think it allows the property owner (the church) to retain its legal rights to eject/remove anyone from their property for any reason at any time.

I shared my story of being a RM, parked under a shade tree in MY assigned stake center at lunch time. A sheriff pulled up (the gate was open) and inquired what I was up to. I spoke the truth with a bag of fast food and was told that the church requested that NO ONE was to be on their property. I protested and told him, "But sir, I am a member of that church." And he told me to get permission in writing because he had been requested to keep people out. And why didn't the church lock its gate?

Posted by: helpingmom ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 01:37AM

Thank you all for your suggestions! I was genuinely surprised that there seemed to be no LDS church services being livestreamed/posted, particularly for those who are shut-in at this time. The churches in my area are livestreaming on Facebook and Instagram, which is easy to access and free.

I found a Facebook page for a ward outside Utah that listed information about online services, so am giving that information to my mother.

Thank you again for your assistance and also for explaining about the local control aspect, which helps explain why wards in her area may not be willing to livestream.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.