Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 09:36PM

6th temple in Utah County. Good grief. I lived in Orem for nearly 30 years and never had a problem getting to the Provo temple when we had ward temple night. It made me laugh to read that the guy remarked it was very near a high traffic area on the freeway so it would be a beacon for thousands of drivers. gag me. And no angel moroni? what is that about?

Sure is a good thing they have all this temple building going on...what else do they have to spend that $100B on in the rainy day fund? How about homeless shelters in Utah County. Back in the day they would NOT put a shelter in the county because it would attract more homeless...no lie, I was on the board of that organization for awhile. They even gave people bus passes to Salt Lake just to get them out of the county until the mayor in Salt Lake put a stop to it.

Here's the link if you want to read all about it.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/09/05/latter-day-saints-break/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 09:37PM by gemini.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Honorus ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 10:35PM

Maybe the omission of a Moroni statue is a quiet admission that the BOM is bogus. Eliminating Moroni might become the standard of the future as the Church seeks to be accepted by mainstream Christianity.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: September 12, 2020 10:05AM

Old Joe couldn't keep straight if it was Moroni or Nephi that appeared in his room.

But good grief! So many handshakes so little time. What on gawd's green apron could possible cause the need for yet one more IHOH (International house of handshakes)?

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 11:35PM

God is smiling at bringing the temple to every saint especially in an already populated mormon area that doesn't even have temples operated at pre covid capacity which wasn't much either.

Temples are becoming subway sandwich shacks for the saints.

Soon mormon celebrities will be able to have their own temple in their dressing room closet.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:49AM

I think the lack of Moroni is a tribute to Nelson's return to Christ rhetoric. It's his way of "marking" or distinguishing his temples or renovations from the Hinkster.

I most definitely believe that Nelson is still envious of GBH.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 02:47AM

I'm wondering about that as well -- if Moroni is getting a downgrade. Although I think your average Christian would just figure that it's the archangel Gabriel.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 04:00PM

Gabriel will warn you
some early morn you
will hear his horn
root-ty tooty tootin.
It's not far away
lift up your head and say
there's gonna be a great day

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 04:04PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 04:15PM

Maybe in the mid-80s the GAs thought they'd get a jump on any future Elder Martin Luther and start making the necessary changes to remain solvent...i mean relevant!!

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: September 08, 2020 06:25PM

My question is this temple was announced just a year or so ago and they are breaking ground to build.

What temples in other parts of the world have not had a ground breaking yet but have been on the list to be built longer than Orem?

Date: September 08, 2020 08:31PM

The most notorious "When's it going to be built?" temple would be Russia. I don't believe a site has even been 'revealed'.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 02:45AM

High-end builders are hard to find in Russia. The Moscow Temple will come right after the Trump Hotel.

Posted by: anon 4 this joke ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 05:06PM

It will be the Crimea River Temple.

"Deals were made; expenses were padded; pockets… were lined."

Date: September 10, 2020 05:39PM

Yet another crime in the Crimea. . .

Posted by: logged off for the day ( )
Date: September 08, 2020 09:02PM

According to

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/construction/

the Harare Zimbabwe temple, announced in April 2016, is at the moment the "oldest" temple to have been announced without seeing a shovel. Not only has the g-break date not been set, the official temple site hasn't yet been revealed / announced / whatever.

Second place goes to Nairobi, Kenya, announced April 2017.

Date: September 10, 2020 05:34PM

Maybe the church should just go ahead and announce a temple on Mars. lol

Date: September 12, 2020 12:31AM

I propose that a temple on Mars has a better chance at being built than does the Russia Temple. And certainly Mars will have a site named before the Russia Temple.

Date: September 12, 2020 12:54AM

Ah yes, the Muskville Temple. Bring your temple clothes and a canister of oxygen.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 04:00AM

Good grief, I'm sure the mormon temples they already have aren't at full capacity, what a waste of money. You know the big 12 just want to flaunt LDS INC and what a big company it is.

All current mormons giving their 10 percent, see what they are doing, just wasting your money.

Date: September 10, 2020 05:34PM

They can't seem to think of any other use for all that money they rake in.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 03:13PM

This house is next door to Orem Temple location

Im guessing the TSCC bought this monster, any realtors able to check who bought it?

Square Footage: 21,998

Bedrooms & Bathrooms: 9 bedrooms & 20 bathrooms

Price: $19,500,000

This 20-acre estate is located at 1886 S Geneva Road in Orem, UT.

2nd house down in the article.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/25-of-the-biggest-homes-for-sale-in-utah-county-right-now/collection_1a486a1b-ad68-51c3-bcff-0c5d88a65c5a.html#2

Date: September 10, 2020 05:43PM

That is a spectacularly ugly house.

Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: September 11, 2020 11:39PM

20 bathrooms good lords ... I'm dealing with my own house right now and just fixing a leak under the kitchen sink is enough of a hassle not to mention all the other maintenance (had some roof issues last year). I can't imagine the upkeep on something like that (electric, water, property taxes) seems like more work than it's worth. Even if you're loaded and can hire professionals I wouldn't like the idea of various workers going in and out of my house all the time for one dang thing or another.

Date: September 11, 2020 11:44PM

If you have to ask who will fix the sink in the 20th bathroom, you cannot afford the house.

Date: September 12, 2020 12:32AM

20 bathrooms!

That's a pisser!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 06:26PM

What took 'um so long? (I don't know why he was selected in the place.)

Also, think about how long this change will take before someone will no longer tell their grandchildren, and great-grand children, etc.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 06:34PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...a high traffic area on the freeway so it would be a beacon for thousands of drivers.

That's usually the goal. The temples are like the flags planted by explorers. They proclaim, "The Mormons are here! We're somebody! Quit ignoring us!"

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 11, 2020 01:14AM

Temples seem to be about keeping the mainstream Mormons occupied with good works so as not to wander away into some less desirable philosophy or religion. If you keep them busy enough you can keep them from thinking about anything else. Just like missions. They aren't for finding converts but keeping the hard core Mormon families steeped in Mormon tradition so they do not stray.

If they cannot grow the ranks they can, maybe, hold onto the solid Utah Mormon base. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 11, 2020 04:55AM

Exactly. The church wants to retain it’s tithing base. It’s biggest concern is retaining members vs recruiting new ones.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 12, 2020 06:23PM

I notice that quite a few of them are being built in close proximity of active railroad tracks. I suppose they like the additional noise to wake people up in the endowment sessions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.