Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 05:30PM

Just my observation: God seems to pick prophets who are not well-spoken. Perhaps this is just a play to pick "the everyman" the mass majority of us can relate to. If so, why does God need a salesman? Seems manipulative. Perhaps God just wants us to hear his word from someone who is just like us and not some well-learned scholar. If that's the case then God clearly wants us to like his message, or at lest be receptive to it...sort of like someone who is trying to sell us something.

Apparently God showed Joseph Smith how to translate from a completely different language - mind you, one that didn't use any recognizable alphabet...but yet no grammar lessons came with the amazing linguistic ability. Hmmm...

Clearly God doesn't seem to care about grammar. I'm sure that is because his ways are higher than our ways. Still, if he were truly interested in effectively communicating his message he would have taught JS something about proper sentence structure to make sure HIS meaning was properly encoded via his "translator". Something so important (a matter of eternal life or death) should have been handled better. Perhaps God doesn't like to deal with the minutia of how his messages are processed prior to releasing the content to the masses.

Really the same could be said for the Bible. If the word of God is so important to...God then why allow all of the meddling with it's messages or at least the way they are encoded? Why not divinely inspire the translators so that they get the story right?

Seems odd. An Omniscient being would be aware of how much confusion HIS divine word is causing and take steps to correct it or at least mitigate the damage caused by errors in translation.

Perhaps God is a rube who has done well and likes the "Dumbed-down" way of speaking much like politicians who imitate local dialects to win over voters.

Perhaps the whole thing is a lie made up by people who wanted the easy way through life by duping others rather than going to school and learning how to make their mark in the world through knowledge, understanding and the application thereof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 05:33PM by praydude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GOD ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 06:24PM

You know too much, mortal.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 06:44PM

I love it when you deign to address us!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 07:38PM

God has lightened up a lot since George Carlin passed.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 11:07PM

Maybe we're the stupid ones? I mean, he IS God, after all.

God: Love one another.

Human prophet: Ah! I see! So, that means strict rules of behavior, yes? No stealing, no murdering, no lying, because these things are against your mighty word. And those who disobey are obviously going to be punished, right? I'll tell them, God. I'll tell them. Burn in Hell, all the phonies.
Some folks are just not going to accept that, you know. There have to be repercussions here, Lord. So, I have your permission to stone and slaughter those who disobey, right? Awesome, thanks, God. I won't let you down. We'll keep the world pure from all those hateful sinners.
There's gotta be some sort of reward for folks too, you know. I know I won't wanna do all this work for nothing. You love us, right? I mean, you love me, in particular, right? So, you'll come down here and kill yourself on my behalf, won't you? Just to help me out and so I don't feel so alone with all these sinners and phonies around. You're the best.

God: ...

God: *sigh* Whatever. Just be good.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 02:14PM

Your words are pure gold. I don't want to live down here with all the phonies either! We should stone them all to show god's true love!

This sounds like King George in "Hamilton"....

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 02:39PM

Listen, it's not what He said, it's what I heard. Down with the phonies!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.