Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MySnoutIsGone ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 04:30PM

On their website, FairMormon states
“Joseph's mind was simply induced by the Book of Abraham into a revelatory process in which he could bring forth the words of scripture that he felt impressed to.” and
“Alternatively, Joseph’s study of the papyri may have led to a revelation about key events and teachings in the life of Abraham, much as he had earlier received a revelation about the life of Moses while studying the Bible.”
https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Book_of_Abraham/By_his_own_hand

In my previous postings, I called attention to Paul Osborne’s analysis of Figure 6 of Facsimile 3. Paul stated that the head of Figure 6 seems to have been changed from a jackal’s head to a human head. This and the incorrect restorations of Facsimiles 1 and 2 make it difficult to buy into FairMormon's theory that studying the papyri led to revelation. On the contrary, Smith deceived his followers by fraudulently claiming he translated the Book of Abraham from the altered and incorrectly restored papyri.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 07:01PM

Joseph's mind was simply induced by the Book of Abraham into a revelatory process in which he could bring forth the same level of bull excrement that he put forth in his other books of “scripture.”

There you go, FairMormon, I fixed it for you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 07:03PM

Every time an opportunity came up for JoJu to make shizz up, he was equal to the task.

He was one heck of an ignorant farm boy!

Posted by: Exalted Pervert ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 08:00PM

Humm....

I heard a rumor that during the pandemic, more misshies are proselytizing on the internet.

Is this one of them?

Date: September 24, 2020 08:11PM

We can only hope.

And he/she better keep the screen in view of his/her companion so that he/she can save her from the likes of you, Exalted Pervert!

Companions don't allow companions to learn the truth!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 08:42PM

Or seminary is back in session in Utah County.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 09:51PM

+MySnoutIsGone:
"Is it troubling that Joseph Smith and his contemporaries may have assumed an autographical nature of the text? Not necessarily, there is a lot of the papyri that we don't currently have. This may easily resolve the issue. Another potential way to approach the issue is to consider notions of prophetic fallibility."

==Why don't they have the papyrus?
I checked it out. While the golden plates was hidden away since the jewish god thinks that it is valuable and should not be left in the hands of mere humans, the BOA papyrus is left with Joseph’s wife who sells it to one guy who in turn sells it to another and finally it is given to a museum.

Does that make sense? Nope.

The reality is that the BOA papyrus comes from a real culture and therefore, it makes sense that it exists.
The Golden Plates does not exist and does not come from a real culture.
The caractors map is garbage. No such characters have been found in the wild.

“Another potential way to approach the issue is to consider notions of prophetic fallibility.""

==Another one is that Jo Smith is a regular human.
If they were truly honest people, they would list this possibility as well.

They try to present themselves as scientists but they haven’t read page 1 of their science textbooks.

~~~~iceman9090

Date: September 24, 2020 10:51PM

> The caractors map is garbage. No
> such characters have been found
> in the wild.

As was his wont, JoJu knew it was easier to steal ideas than to come up with something brand new. I think he did this with the 'caractors'.

My link to the background on this theory, which is not mine, is now lost, given that PostMormon(dot)org is out of business. Maybe someone can fill it in.

There was either an Irish or Scottish order of priests and this order created a secret language. Many of the characters match those in the 'caractors' note that what's his face took to Prof. Anton.

At some point the 'caractors' resemblance to the 'secret language' was noted, and at the same time, there was alleged to be 'proof' that a sample of this 'secret language' was in the possession of a relative of Joju's, then living in the Detroit area, and some alleged proof that Joju had had access to them prior to or during the multi-year fabrication of the BoM.

I hope this stirs the embers of someone's memory...

As I was shotgunning Google, trying find a trail to follow, I found this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon_Transcript), which has info that was new to me, specifically that the famous horizontal line of 'caractors' is not what the extant literature describes as having been prepared by JoJu.

Rather, Joju is said to have prepared a paper with the 'caractors' drawn in vertical lines. And one of the forgeries sold by Mark Hofmann to the church was such a described document. Check it out...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.