Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 06:41PM

My daughter's best friend married (unknowingly) a gay man. They had a couple of kids.

Not long after the kids came, they got a divorce--but strangely, he was mean to her regarding their marriage, maybe because he felt she had forced him into it?

To me, this was a strange way to act. Certainly, it wasn't her fault that they married--the decision to wed was made by both of them.

I suppose maybe he married her trying to convince others he wasn't gay.
-----

Also, in my 'home' Ward, a gay man married the most beautiful and sweet girl in the Ward. Again, I suppose he did so to try and make the switch from what he was, and wanted to be able to act accordingly. (They had no children.)

One time I was walking in Hollywood where I had just seen a movie with my husband, and where a lot of gay persons hang out.

While there, I noticed a very tall young man dressed in woman's cloths--including high hills--very sadly walking along, alone. Also, he was in need of a shave. I'll never forget the sad, lonesome look he had on his face.

Even in the little town of Thatcher, Arizona (where I was born), contained a young man who preferred to play with the girls, rather than the boys. He sat with us playing with paper dolls (and making paper cloths for them). We all knew he was 'different', but the general feeling was "So What"?
---

And last, a lesbian lived next door to me (where I live now), with a non-lesbian women. We were good friends. She told me she joined the LDS church because she loved the Tabernacle Quier's music. (Even though she, her self, never went to church.)

My Conclusion? It takes all kinds of people to make a world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 06:49PM

> We all knew he was 'different', but the general feeling was
> "So What"?

Hopefully one day adults will be as wise as little children.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 01:19PM

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 06:53PM

Did they go and change their name again?!?!?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 06:56PM

Mormon Tabernacle Queer. I love it.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 07:31PM

One of my missionary comps married his boyfriend right after it was legal here in Utah. I guess we could say he was a pioneer in the effort. But saddly he just died recently. The family did the funeral in Mormon style. Not a pleasant thing, can I say.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 11:02AM

Being laid to rest in a fashion that gives credence to considering your union with the one you loved an abomination is just place desecration of the dead. But Mormons never really think about the wishes of the dead.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 11:44AM

"So-and-So is going to be so grateful when he wakes up on the other side and realizes we put his garments back on. You're welcome!"

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 08:58PM

I'm working on getting a lifetime of scrapbook material actually INTO scrapbooks since I have lots of time on my hands during this pandemic. I'm working on my school years and I'm in the thick of high school memories. I found my diary that I kept during those years, and boy, howdy, has it been eye-opening!

Of course, in the 60's when I was in high school, homosexuality was not on my radar. The things I wrote about my boyfriend's actions toward me and others was just chalked up to him being insensitive or mean or childish or even righteous(!). I ended up marrying him and you all know the rest of THAT story!

Reading those things now, however, the RED FLAGS were everywhere!!

All these years later, I just hope and pray that every LGBTQ young person feels able to be open about their orientation and not have to hide who they are.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 09:10PM

I'm so grateful that I was born right-handed!

I don't think I could have handled the stress of being 'different'... the looks, the pity, the anger, the eye-rolling...

You know that look the teacher gives left-handed students trying to write sitting at a right-handed desk? Do they still have those? I would have just curled up and died!!

I'm a weak man, I admit it...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 09:45PM

1967---Six years before homosexuality would be declared to be NOT a mental disorder. Closets were our bomb shelters.

This girl I liked to dance with french kissed me after the Sadie Hawkins dance and I started to laugh--which hurt her. I knew then that I'd rather go to hell than even try anything further. If you don't crave someone's flesh then blending of body parts is at least funny if not kind of gross. I had no doubt that hell was my destiny anyway but at least by avoiding girls I was putting it off for a while. I also knew even then that it just wasn't fair to the girl, but . . .

Of course I still believed if I just served a faithful mission that God would make me straight. That is part of the indoctrination. So many of the guys thought if they just got married that God would make it all right. And so a lot of that happened. Young and dumb we all were as we considered ourselves very wise. Just do what is right and Heavenly Father will bless you. Worked my butt of on the mission. Luckily, found out later I didn't need fixing. The Mormons and society in general needed fixing.

Hope that girl found a nice guy who "wanted" her.

I like that the OP is nodding to the fact that there are as many kinds of gay people as straight people. Both have myriad ways to screw up their lives or the lives of others. Or not. A lot of people get it right sooner or later. Wish all would.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 10:02PM

It's easier now at least in some places. At my kids' schools children come out all the time and are accepted as who they are. I likewise have a Mormon friend whose son is 12 and recently announced he was bisexual, so my fried and her husband stopped going to church. Just not worth it, they decided.

When people are free to come out without adverse consequences, they are also free to contemplate their sexuality and avoid all the guilt and the deception of themselves and others that in more conservative societies is a tool of survival. The frequency with which non-hetero people marry mistakenly, etc., will consequently decrease--and with it, unnecessary suffering.

Assuming, of course, that society doesn't turn back the clock.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 01:21PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.