Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 01:10PM

give me your thoughts about the patriachal blessing

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hujo ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 03:33PM

I'll be posting about mine soon.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 04:23PM

As a convert, I didn't have a clue in hell what it was about. But the members held it up as a major goal so the missionaries took me to the patriarch's house where I got mine shortly after baptism. To my utter shock and amazement it included my favourite Mormon scripture (Men are that they might have joy) - I assumed God meant women too. I quite liked the idea of that as a life promise. One of the missionaries, who knew it was my favourite verse from the BoM nearly fell out of his chair, he told me later. So that ensured a greater strength of his testimony for the foreseeable. I tripped over the fact a while later that, in fact, the stake missionaries (RMs) were friends of the patriarch and they knew my favourite scripture and I put two and two together (finally) and realized they must have told him about me, including my favourite verse. That really hit me hard. It was so unnecessary, so conniving, so disappointing, such a charlatan tactic.

So, yeah, not a fan of PBs. And that whole spiel. And Mormonism, come to think...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 04:24PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 04:26PM

I've had more successful readings from my Tarot deck.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 01:00PM

LOL Heidi

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 05:35PM

I once played poker with a tarot deck.
I got a full house and 4 people died.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 05:43PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 11:41PM

Date: October 12, 2020 11:53PM

Relax ! It's an old Steven Wright joke.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 04:37PM

It ruined one of my good friends. She was very overweight. The patriarch(imo) judged her by that and said NOTHING in her PB about posterity, mother in Israel etc. even though he included it in all of the rest the blessings we girls got during that group trip we had made to his house. She was crushed. She completely emotionally shut down and never even entertained the thought that she would get married. She is now a homebound, elderly, single, virgin. I hate TSCC

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 04:39PM

Got mine as a kid. Reread it recently..100% horseshit and mindless drivel

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 04:45PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 05:06PM

I calls 'em as I sees 'em!

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 05:14PM

Patriarchal blessing = patriarchal bullshit.

Date: October 12, 2020 12:34AM

rubbish

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 01:26AM

It’s a tradition passed down from Joseph Smith Sr, who charged $4 for a patriarchal blessing. That would have been a week’s pay for average folks. A PB is basically a psychic reading. There are some psychics who have “the gift”, but many are either fake or have little knack for it. It’s possible for a qualified patriarch to be called, one who can actually do a reading, but the stake you’re in has to have such a guy and give him the job. The odds are slim of that being the case. You would be better off going to a professional psychic. Since the planetary shift, it has become easier to access psychic gifts, so you’re more likely to get a decent reading.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 01:39PM

The "Murban Legend" is that Patriarchal blessings foretell the future. The church really doesn't claim much about them anymore. Same as if some one says bless you when you sneeze. Nothing in mormonism predicts anything-- as clearly demonstrated by whichever prophet is currently doing the prophesying and seering. So how you gonna get anything special out of a Patriarch?

I waited to have my blessing done by a Patriarch who did not know me. I didn't feel worthy being gay and all and waited til I got to the LTM and got it then. Unmemorable, uninspired, and was not worth fasting for. I coulda had German Chocolate cake instead. Damn.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 02:21PM

My dad was a patriarch. He would give a blessing, then spend hours and hours editing and tweaking it to its final version. I took a look in the folder where he kept them and they were almost identical, very generic, very man made. If it's all inspiration/ revelation, why the need to edit over and over?

It's all made up BS.

Date: October 12, 2020 05:46PM

I was long gone when my Dad became the Patriarch. I know he was really into it and believed he was inspired. I don't know how his blessings turned out, but he did get to know each person and always fasted before. Maybe they got better ones than we did.

I do think a few drinks before the laying on of hands could work wonders for the tired old practice.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 05:27PM

I received my PB when I was 16 years old. I was kind of disappointed by the whole experience because I was a super TBM teenager and thought that receiving the blessing would be a very spiritual experience. I thought the blessing would be specific to me and help to guide my life. It was all such a big letdown. The patriarch was unfriendly and intimidating and only gave me the blessing after he'd drilled me with questions for over an hour. Nothing in the blessing seemed very unique to me or had any impact on my life. Years later I tore up my PB and chucked it in the garbage.

When I joined the Mormon church as a 12 year old the ward I attended was in a university town and full of highly educated, professional and successful members. The bishop was a trial attorney and very intimidating during interviews. The ward patriarch taught physics and was a scientist. He was a brilliant man but not a very social one. I think he had Aspergers syndrome. As a teenager with divorced parents and new to the Mormon church, those men were my father/authority figures and I looked up to them. Instead of being kind and caring when I was alone with them in their office during interviews and blessings, they were stern, intimidating and terrifying. I don't think they were deliberately awful but just very clueless and unskilled in communicating with teenagers. They had such a hurtful impact on my young (and older) self when I was just a good, obedient teenager who believed the Mormon church was true. I wanted to please and do the right thing but was treated like an unworthy sinner. Curse them.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 06:35PM

I went in with no expectations and left with even less.
Still waiting for that sweet daughter of god to fill my gay life.

Date: October 12, 2020 07:01PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> give me your thoughts about the patriachal
> blessing
Another thing that I have noticed No recording of the blessing is allowed. That way the patriarch can edit it as he pleases

Date: October 12, 2020 07:02PM

This another reason why I only do documented interviews

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 07:25PM

Long before I had ever heard of Mormonism my wife's grandmother claimed to read my future in the tea leaves of my cup (Brooke B ond, I think). She was far more accurate in her predictions than my PB. She said she "saw" three things: 1. I would never be particularly rich (a relative thing thing) 2. I would travel to a distant country, and 3 She saw me in some kind of spacious building she could not identify where everyone was dressed in white. If I had to keep score I'd say grandma 3 Patriarch 0

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 07:42PM

> 3 She saw me in some kind of spacious building
> she could not identify where everyone was dressed
> in white.

Let's hope she foresaw the temple and not a COVID hospital ward.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 11:05PM

Never thought of that but I'll take comfort in the fact that hospital scrubs are usually green.

Date: October 12, 2020 11:59PM

Well in my hospital they all wore white.

At least I think it was a hospital. . .

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 07:39PM

I believe they claim not to see 'the future', but rather a future that may come to pass if you're worthy.

...unless of course ghawd decides to test you, or he needs you to cross over into Paradise to help out the work there...

...or... you aren't faithful enough to deserve all the goodies ghawd had in store for you.

The Pap-priarch didn't blow it, you did!

Date: October 12, 2020 07:45PM

I'll bet the patriarch was always priapic around you.

Date: October 13, 2020 09:37AM

Exactly. The Church of Jesus Christ of It's Always Your Fault!

Religion is a stacked deck.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 10:15AM

Mine was done 50 years ago by an elderly gentleman who was widowed. I have no qualms with it.

First he declared me a literal descendant of Joseph. That's it. No Ephraim or Manasah just Joseph.

There was very little canned stuff. Just avoid temptation.

There was a lot of fatherly advice. Pick a job that is enjoyable. Don't rush into decisions. Always learn new things etc.

Prophesies were few.

I'd have the joy of wives and children. I did. (Yes wives had 2)

I'd see the mountains on fire. I did.

I'd see floods. I did.

I'd see diseases ravage the earth. I did.

Yes these are generic prophecies.

Only thing not happened yet.

Being annointed a king (second anointing reference?)

calling my wives and children from the grave.

Overall it was a general blessing but I think it was more along ths old style given by a kind man that believed in what he did.

No there was not a pre blessing interview.

Fun side note. My grandmother's said she was a descendant of Joseph and a natural prophetess. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.