Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 07:47AM

I was watching Mormon Stories #480 with Jeremy Runnells this morning and....seriously, f-ck priesthood blessings. Runnells is deaf(I wasn't aware) and he recounted a story where he got the opportunity to get a hearing blessing from an area seventy. The guy told him he would be healed, that his ears would be unstopped. So, this kid went home, so faithful in the priesthood being exactly like Christ's power, that he took out his hearing aide and set it aside. Then weeks went by and he's still not healed, he begins to wonder if his faith wasn't strong enough.

The church is a serious piece of shit. Because of course, in the cognitive dissonance battle, you're always going to assume that there is something wrong with YOU, instead of the logical conclusion that there are no super powers. How utterly destructive to think, "I'd just be healed, like that, if I were good enough." Or how about that setting aside the hearing aide? It's pretty innocuous, that. What about other blessings wherein the person sets aside medicine they need?

You cannot convince me, that the church is good for people. You cannot convince me that a local Bishop giving a blessing that you'll be healed of your ills is not as culpable or not as responsible for harm as the GAs. Spare me that bullshit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 01:15PM

In the nearly 85 years I have been alive I have N E V E R witnessed anyone being cured, by a "blessing", from any disease that they would not have otherwise recovered from. Zilch power display

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 06:42PM

Now that we have covid, even the smearing of the sacred vegetable oil has pretty much been suspended, since rubbing the head of someone who has an active case of COVID-19 is too irresponsible for even true believers to ignore.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 08:08PM

You specify "the smearing" of the (ahem!) "sacred vegetable oil" (cute, that!). Now, my serious question:

Is there a proscribed way to apply the oil? Assuming, for argument's sake, that the anointed oil has a certain benefit, even if it's only psychological. Could a Melchizedek priesthood holder simply drop a tiny amount on the subject's forehead from his little vial? Like from a Visene bottle? Is it required for the priest to apply the oil to his finger and then apply (or smear) it on the recipient's forehead?

If so, it seems to this never-Mo that that physical touching of the subject is required, which would preclude the use of say, latex gloves. Could the priest(s) place their hands on the recipient's head with gloves on?

Also, do we know for a fact that healing blessings have been suspended, either by edict or by common practice?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 11:56PM

In older times the oil was applied to the afflicted parts. Women (yes women) would apply the oil to females "restricted" areas and also do the blessings.

Later they moved to a universal application of a few drops to the head. Hence no need for women folk to help and hence no need for them to perform blessings.

Now we're told no covid blessings. Why? Simple. Imagine the thousands of blessings gone unanswered. The thousands of deaths after a blessing. The wolves can't afford for the sheeple to lose faith in their priesthood authority.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 08:48PM

Google searches on Mormonism just about ends rancid oil blessings that were really kind of cool during the old days, little did we know!
The covid19 has em pretty much finished it off for the time being, I bet.
I guess a sputtering of oil blessings could resume after the pandemic becomes more resolved, but it's hard to imagine anyone other than the most despairing individuals, asking for one.

What is a church like the LDS organization to do when maybe trying to get back to normal after all of this?

I could see it now, we're a fake church and this is a fake anointing of oil but I guess we can do it if you think it'll make you maybe feel better.. good grief!

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 09:39PM

thegoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

“from an area seventy”

==What’s that? One of the 70 guys that are at the top of the mormon church?

“The guy told him he would be healed”

==Did the priest give him a time frame? Did he say today, tomorrow, 2 years?
Maybe Jeremy Runnells has not been thought to ask questions.
Maybe he wanted to be fooled.
Maybe he needs to meet me and I’ll inject some logic, science, skepticism into him.

And if you are going to ask the priest to heal your ears, why stop there?
Maybe your bike tire is flat. Ask him to fix your bike tire.
Maybe there is a dent on your car. Ask him to undent it.
Maybe your toilet is jammed. Ask him to unblock your toilet.
Maybe your driveway is cracked.
Oh no! The grass needs to be shortened.

“The church is a serious piece of shit.”

==If we are not telling our family members to be science savvy, to be skeptics, if we aren’t all over the net injecting some logic into this world, then we are also pieces of shit.

The Top 10 most Aggressive and Violent Christian Pastors and TV Preachers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO9fPhpjye4
By louis tournas
Length = 21:22

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 11:36PM

I don't understand.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: October 29, 2020 12:52AM

thegoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand.

Which part?

~~~~iceman9090

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.