Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gaiuscottidianus ( )
Date: October 30, 2020 11:26AM

I just thought I'd share this as a pretty good, heartwarming piece of positive news. While certainly I think the Church still has a LONG way to go when it comes to racial issues, I still think this is a good partnership to see, and a good outcome and may be of interest to folks on this board. I can personally attest to at least a few of the locations/organizations that will be receiving this food, and their need for it!

https://www.wyofile.com/black-14-launch-180-ton-food-initiative-with-uw-mormon-church/

If you aren't familiar with the story of the Black 14, very briefly, these were 14 Black university of Wyoming football players who intended to quietly protest the Mormon Church's policy that prevented blacks from receiving the priesthood by donning black armbands during the 1969 BYU vs. Wyoming Football game. When they met with the coach prior to the game wearing the armbands, hoping to convince the coach to allow them to wear the armbands during the game, they were summarily dismissed from the team sparking protest and making some significant waves in the state and in national news.

For a good, in-depth, (but still fairly concise!) take on their story, I personally recommend this piece:

https://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/black-14-race-politics-religion-and-wyoming-football

The author studied History and Law at UW, and he happened to be the editor of UW's student newspaper at the time that the Black 14 were dismissed from the team.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 30, 2020 04:15PM

The church hates it when those marked as unrighteous because of activity in the Pre-Existence get uppity.

What? That's not why humans are born Black & Brown? But I have it on good authority, from a prophet even, that The Mark is earned!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 30, 2020 04:20PM

The Halloween thread: you have been summoned.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 03:39PM

Giving money/goods is much easier than the long journey the church need to make on racial issues.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.