Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 10:43AM

This morning's Salt Lake Tribune local news said that Oscar McConkie,jr died from COVID complications. He was 94 and was the team of Kirton-McConkie: The defenders of the faith and protectors of the realm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 12:35PM

From Wikipedia - McConkie was a key figure in the process of getting official recognition of the LDS Church in Zaire in 1986.

And he was Bruce Almighty's brother. Seems like he was a very junior mover and shaker in the faith.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 04:21PM

Very junior? He was head of the Church's law firm. I imagine that gave him more clout that many of the Q15.

Plus he was a Democrat. So was Bruce, iirc. And Spencer's eldest kid (Spencer H Kimball) founded the Utah chapter of the ACLU.

They were obviously from a different era.

Date: November 05, 2020 04:38PM

I am probably wrong about junior. He was an attorney and they handle the church.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 10:13PM

Could he bill for attending Elders Quorum?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 10:58PM

There are lots of jokes about attorneys billing lots and lots of hours.

I like the one where the 45-year-old attorney is called home to heaven and when he meets St. Peter, he complains about being called home at such a young age! St. Peter pulls out his tablet, taps a couple of taps, then looks up and tells the newly dead attorney, "Based on your billing records, you've billed so many hours that you'd have to be 80 years by now!"

The notion behind 'billable hours' is that it is right and proper to bill a client when you are involved in accomplishing an activity that benefits the client's interests.

So if you're in the EQ on Sunday morning and you happen to do, see or hear something that benefits a client, why wouldn't you bill that time & mileage?

Date: November 06, 2020 08:01PM

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe McConkie is firm received and reviewed resignations from the Utah attorney who helps people submit their resignations.

This may relate to why resignations now have to be notarized.

I think it takes a lot longer for your paralegal to review a notarized resignation.

It really does leave me wondering how much did McConkie make every time somebody resigned?

What a gig.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 02:18AM

Resignations do not need to be notarized, unless you resign using that law firm. If you do it yourself (and there's no particular reason not to - it's not complicated) you don't need to notarize or even sign your resignation.

I think the notary bit is basically a tit for tat thing. If they get a resignation through a law firm, they have to send it to their law firm to make sure the other law firm didn't put something in the resignation the church doesn't want to agree to. They probably do that for every letter they get from a law firm, on any subject. It's just due diligence.

My guess is the trouble and expense of the legal review pisses them off, so they make the resignee get their signature notarized in retaliation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2020 02:20AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: November 07, 2020 11:55AM

Makes sense to get a little tit when you resign.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 05:34PM

He would definitely be a member of the council of 50.

Date: November 05, 2020 01:47PM

I wonder if there are cabals amongst the Twelve & 1st Presiduncy, trying to give The Covid to certain non-cabal members?

Do all the other 14 yearn to have Bedknobs lead the church?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 02:17PM

There are really people who yearn for THAT? After Monson and Nelson, that would really cement the theory that they're all vampires ;-)

Date: November 05, 2020 02:26PM

Maybe when Hinckley styled their president as standing for something. Monson just stood and now Nelson performs surgery on what Hinckley stood for.

The cabal is probably small. A few juniors working behind the scenes for someone like Holland. The cabal for a bit more charisma.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 06, 2020 01:25AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe when Hinckley styled their president as
> standing for something. Monson just stood and now
> Nelson performs surgery on what Hinckley stood
> for.
>
> The cabal is probably small. A few juniors working
> behind the scenes for someone like Holland. The
> cabal for a bit more charisma.

Charisma? You didn't get the memo...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 06, 2020 10:22PM

One of the things that the MORmON church really stood for .....and then had to abandon

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kVup1EWVo

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 06, 2020 10:23PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 10:32AM

I saw his obit in the SLTrib this morning. I noticed the link at the bottom to the live stream of his funeral. Yeah, that's what I want to watch...NOT!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 12:05PM

Gee, why not? There's nothing else happening. ;-}

I wonder what it looks like when someone with COVID gets a priesthood blessing. Do they put on PPE or do it over Zoom? Oh the irony of priesthood power. The visual of putting magic oil on someone's head while wearing masks makes me chuckle.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 01:27PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, why not? There's nothing else happening. ;-}

Hah!

Date: November 07, 2020 01:06PM

Apropos of nothing in particular... Anyone ever heard of a priesthood blessing that cured a raging case of gonorrhea?

...asking for a friend...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 02:04PM

Let's not denigrate any dead, MOLeaders or otherwise, OK?

it's not disrespectful to truthfully tell their ACTIONS however.

their family is entitled to mourn him & cherish their good memories.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.