Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 07:35PM

No, it's not the Catholic Church I'm talking about, nor even the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It's the Boy Scouts of America, and both churches were involved with that group.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/13/934718112/magnet-for-sexual-predators-the-boy-scouts-face-allegations-of-sexual-assault

From the website:

"More than 60,000 men say they were sexually abused when they were Boy Scouts, and the allegations could threaten the very existence of the iconic 110-year-old
institution."

The audio of this report is 7 minutes long, and the above synopsis from NPR does not do this story justice. Wade Goodwin focuses the story on one case but includes a lot of statistics to show the broader effects. What happened in the Boy Scouts was wrong. And, both the Catholic and Mormon churches should take home the lesson of what could happen to some of their male officeholders and themselves if they don't report alleged cases to the proper authorities when they occur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 08:08PM

It was where my worst abuse came from.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 08:09PM

Then the Boy Scouts should be shut down. The logic strikes me as unimpeachable.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 09:32PM

LW:
After hearing this audio, I now fully concur with you. Specifically, the Boy Scouts of America made a decision at the highest levels of the organization to not report ellegations of sexual abuse to the proper authorities. *That* was wrong, and they should be shut down for that decision and its consequences. No amount of good that organization can make up for the harm that that decision caused.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 09:47PM

I used to have mixed feelings about such organizations: they do a lot of good and there is some bad. Then I gradually realized that there was a lot of bad and that the leadership usually know of it, tolerated it, and even concealed it in favor of the good they do.

But the price is children and their lives. And that is unacceptable. The cost is simply too high. A lot of those priests/managers/leaders deserve condign punishment.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 11:16PM

What is the purpose of Boy Scouts again?

Why not just go camping? If you know a kid who's family doesn't go camping, invite him/her.
Why can't I just get together with my friends and play baseball or football? Why do we need adults to create Little League and Pop Warner?

As you can tell I'm not much of a "Joiner". I was a "free range" kid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.