Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 04:46AM

For my ReportFest. Hoping it didn't disrespect your time but I would have hoped that the people on the forum would have respected your time by not posting endless politics here and, no, putting the word mormon in the subject line does not legitimize your political post.
I haven't been here as much but I come here to get away from that crap. Maybe the politics, along with a few posters who have become extremely tedious with their endless interpersonal sqabbles, is why I have spent less time here.
There are a few posters here with whom I would hate to lose contact. I am easily found through searching Siobhan Zen Violin and if you are so moved let me know you're from RfM.

Otherwise, I'm about done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 08:31AM by siobhan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 06:45AM

siobhan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For my ReportFest. Hoping it didn't disrespect
> your time but I would have hoped that the people
> on the forum would have respected your time by not
> posting endless politics here and, no, putting the
> word mormon in the subject line does not
> legitimize your political post.
> I haven't been here as much but I come here to get
> away from that crap. Maybe the politics, along
> with a few posters who have become extremely
> tedious with their endless interpersonal sqabbles,
> is why I have spent less time here.
> There are a few posters here with whom I would
> hate to lose contact. I am easily found through
> searching Siobhan Zen Violin and if you are so
> moved to let me know you're from RfM.
>
> Otherwise, I'm about done.

Hi siobhan,
Your voice is heard and acknowledgments made and we liked it, thanks for the squabbles.

Hate to loose contact too so don't stay away forever as growth continues throughout these big events.

Don't worry be happpy.

Posted by: never know who i am ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 12:43PM

I come here to find strength and support to overcome the detrimental effects of being brainwashed by the so called church.

I really wish that there was a separate forum for politics and endless debates over the true meaning of the constitution (I can go to a pro politico forum, but i come here for help with mormonism).

Thank you

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 01:14PM

never know who i am Wrote:
> I come here to find strength and support to
> overcome the detrimental effects of being
> brainwashed by the so called church.
>
> I really wish that there was a separate forum for
> politics and endless debates over the true meaning
> of the constitution (I can go to a pro politico
> forum, but i come here for help with mormonism).
>
> Thank you

Being part of the fabric that got maybe terribly hurt from Mormonism or Scientology or even Jehovah's Witnesses finds you in about the same boat as other groups. I now and again seem to even bump into other tiny tiny fringe groups getting out of Christian Science, wierd S. Utah Egyptian Cave mummie claims, and even this nut of guy William Branham. Good gosh, what the heck was that?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Branham

Stay sweet!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 07:00PM

> I really wish that there was a separate forum for
> politics and endless debates over the true meaning
> of the constitution . . .

The constitution is integrally related to Mormonism, as anyone familiar with the BoM or the D&C should know, both doctrinally and historically. You can't study the formation of Mormonism in the 1830s and 1840s or during the Civil War without it.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 12, 2020 08:36PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > I really wish that there was a separate forum
> for
> > politics and endless debates over the true
> meaning
> > of the constitution . . .
>
> The constitution is integrally related to
> Mormonism,

.....once again your "superior" "analytical" skills are left dangling in the wind......

MORmONISM "might" be integrally related to the US Constitution, while The US Constitution is quite independent of anything MORmON. There IS a difference on how /which one influenced the other ......OR NOT !!!

Date: November 12, 2020 09:02PM

Ah yes, once again demonstrating your powers of comprehension and eloquence. You're brilliant, Smirky. Anyone can see that.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 01:27PM

My guess is the recent allowance of certain posts was due to their relevancy to decency, and when decency trumps something, it is cause for celebration. My take away, anyway.

This time the elephant in the room could not be ignored. For many in the country the last four years has been excruciating and different to any politics America has ever known. Watch the Van Jones interview on CNN to understand exactly how so many of us felt. Speaks volumes. If his words don't touch you, nothing will.

Politics has always been disallowed here. This was an appreciated exception by me and I thank the Admins for that. I needed to discuss with some of my closest friends this occasion that has left a cloud over my life for four years. I am ready to go back to normal--- no politics--as we hopefully go back to real politics as a country--- Ugly, ridiculous politics but this time the ones that can stand up to fact checking and aren't so damn mean.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 02:31PM

+1 on the Van Jones recommendation. A lot of people were holding their breath and needed to decompress. The celebratory threads only appeared Saturday which was only 5 days ago. They are already drifting to the bottom of the page. Life is returning to normal and politics is starting to feel more like The Gong Show than an existential threat.

I understand that some people are deeply disappointed. That was inevitable this election. Politics will naturally die down here, probably with a few strategic deletions. Mike Lee can do some touch-up painting of his Captain Moroni doll and put it back on the shelf.

Date: November 11, 2020 02:37PM

With all respect if you allow any of these clowns of any political party to take up one minute, much less four years, of space in your head rent free you might find a hobby or something to cope.

Personally, I couldn't care less who gets elected but it's odd that on a forum this size 90+% seem to think that Biden is going to be any different than the rest of them and the few Trump supporters get insulted. I'm guessing that there are more Trump supporters who are afraid to say anything.

That's not what RfM is about and I'm sure it is off putting to many new visitors with mormon issues.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 03:14PM

No Trumpsters allowed here...They barely tolerate those who are conservative. I am no Trumpster, but am conservative/Libertarian re: my politics..

Date: November 11, 2020 03:31PM

So what I am hearing you say is if a trump supporter came here with a question of leaving mormonism he or she would not be welcome here because you speak for everyone?

And 'Trumpsters' are intolerant?

Really?

I am regretfully going to stop recommending this board.

Date: November 11, 2020 03:52PM

nonmo-1 was never elected nor appointed to be the spokesperson of the board. IF you are going to take his opinion as that, then I suspect that you didn't learn much from having been Mormon.

I also found that you "couldn't care less who was elected" unimpressive to say the least. And you are pretty adamant about all of this for someone who could care less.

Date: November 11, 2020 08:40PM

"nonmo-1 was never elected nor appointed to be the spokesperson of the board"...

Agreed...Also, when mine or other conservative viewpoints are presented, the hammer came down. Recovering Mormons are in the "other" pool for the same reasons they left Mormonism...

Just saying.......

Date: November 11, 2020 09:32PM

Hi nomo . . . I've been through 15 elections in my life that I remember starting with Kennedy. Used to be very clear cut what each party stood for. People disagreed but we weren't shooting at moving targets then.

I am very curious as to what are examples of being conservative means to you. In what ways do you identify as conservative.

Conservative in the Dictionary is "averse to change, holding on to traditional values." Like holding onto racism, homophobia, etcetera, you know, old time American values. Averse to anything new that might be to the advantage to anyone other than themselves. Marriage equality for instance.

I feel like today, one needs to define being conservative if claiming it because it could be anything, in particular that which is listed above.

One of the several Republicans I know who voted Biden had a bumper sticker that said "OMG GOP WTF." They are kind of done too with that brand of conservative.

It's not politics we are about, it is decency, it is fairness for all.

Best to you.
P.S. I don't consider myself Dem or Rep or Ind. I am me. Just want to be in the decency party.

Date: November 12, 2020 08:19PM

"Conservative in the Dictionary is "averse to change, holding on to traditional values." Like holding onto racism, homophobia, etcetera, you know, old time American values. Averse to anything new that might be to the advantage to anyone other than themselves. Marriage equality for instance."

Don't jump to conclusions or else you will "jump the shark.."

Anyway...anyone else getting an advantage at the EXPENSE of me...or anyone else is wrong..

I am a fiscal conservative, social liberal. (Libertarian)

I don't care who marries who, or who is in the workplace. Those are private matters.

Every marginalized, or pseudo-marginalized group looking to the govt (and taxpayers) to help them get a leg up is wrong.

Govt should go back to their original mission as stated in the Constitution.. enable interstate trade and provide for the common defense..

Equality means just that...equal for all.

Date: November 12, 2020 08:22PM

Just to add... I didn't vote for the current C-in-C (avoiding political filters). Neither time.

He has made an embarrassment of himself and a mockery of the highest office in the land..

Date: November 12, 2020 09:32PM

Thanks.

I wasn't really jumping to conclusions. Just wanted to know what conservatism was to you while listing what it means to some others as an example of a lot of what I have seen. Because, reading between your lines I didn't see you like them.

Maya Angelou's words often ring true. "We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." But labels can distract from that.

Lots of us really are very unalike however.

Date: November 12, 2020 09:44PM

The word "conservative" has several different meanings.

1) Judicial conservatism, meaning judges who think they must adhere to the constitutional text and its historical interpretation, meaning established precedents.

2) Institutional conservatism, meaning the preservation of traditional institutions like the constitution, the rights it embodies, respect for social mores that have been established for decades or centuries, and more broadly alliances and other national commitments.

3) Values conservatism, meaning traditional family and social structures, antipathy towards the inception of rights for "new" groups like ethnic minorities, foreigners, people of non-traditional gender identities, etc. This conservatism can contradict the first two definitions because values conservatives often want to overturn both established rights and norms and the institutions that embody them.

4) Conservatism as a banner title under which populists operate. This is really a rhetorical device since it has no political or judicial meaning. It is Orwellian Newspeak.

Those who declaim against traditional Republicans as RINOs are in fact populists, not guardians of established morality and institutions. They in some instances claim to espouse values conservatism--sometimes while violating the old mores in spectacular fashion--but for the most part they are revolutionaries trying to overthrow the first two sorts of conservatism.

Date: November 11, 2020 04:03PM

siobhan Wrote:
> it's odd that on a forum this size 90+% seem
> to think that Biden is going to be any different
> than the rest of them

You don't understand. We don't hope Biden will be different from a normal politician. Quite the contrary, we hope he gets us back to normal.

Date: November 11, 2020 04:58PM

Upthread siobhan said:
"With all respect if you allow any of these clowns of any political party to take up one minute, much less four years, of space in your head rent free you might find a hobby or something to cope."

A bit ironic coming from someone who appears to giving posters here rent-free space in their head

Date: November 11, 2020 07:52PM

BOJ I dealt with better bullies than you in elementary school.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 09:27PM

He's been here as long as I have and out of the LDS Church for decades.

I'll bet the price of a cab ride from here to where you live he also has considerably more education.

BTW, isn't "siobhan" a girls' name? It was on "Orphan Black" at least...

/remedial schoolteacher voice on

>>My tummy hurts over that use of an adjective in "better bullies."

Date: November 12, 2020 09:20PM

Lol. Thx, Cabbie. I just try to tell the truth as I see it. Apparently this time it hit a nerve.

Date: November 11, 2020 09:35PM

Someone using clear concise words to convey a point or opinion is not bullying. Might be called Check-mate though.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 02:16PM

And I had to come over and say to siobhan and Tyson that this is why I left the board. I'm only here to say I have the utmost respect for both of you for the contributions you have made to this board. I understand why you left. The board is NOTHING like it used to be. More and more and more are leaving for the same reasons you have posted about here.

Sorry they decided to pile on you like they have, siobhan. There are many of us who are sickened by how you are being treated.

Pile on everyone. I won't be back to see what you say to me. I have no used for this board any longer or your opinions.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 07:57PM

Sorry that happened Colleen. You have been missed.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 13, 2020 03:27PM

I'm sorry that everyone doesn't find what they need here. For many through the years this has been a temporary spot anyway to launch their post-mo life.

True enough, politics is by nature divisive, even amongst friends. This past stretch of time has been particularly so.

No place is perfect nor can it meet everyone's needs at any time, certainly not all the time.

It's strange how it happens, but true enough that we can develop quite an attachment to people we have never met and will be unlikely ever to do so. Some say so long but many others just fade away. Many would likely not ever realize that people they don't know but who have read and enjoyed their posts and interacted with them over a period of time will miss them and their insights, humour, wisdom, stories, or whatever it was they excelled at contributing here.

RfM can be a port in a storm or a second home or a friendly stop for a space of time for many, or not so much for some, which is unfortunate. Eric started the board with good intent to give people information about Mormonism and support in the leavetaking.

True enough you just can't be all things to all people all the time.

I wish happy trails to everybody.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 03:50AM

I miss reading your posts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.