Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 03:46PM

I am starting a new thread about this case about a young man [appears to be Mormon from lifestyle and family interviews] who went missing from St George and was last seen in Henderson NV.

Here's a synopsis from a previous thread that has been since been closed.

The case of missing Steven Koecher. He disappeared at the age of 30, last seen on a neighborhood surveillance video in Henderson, Nevada where he parked his car after a two hour drive from his home in Saint George, Utah on December 11, 2009.

Unemployed, down on his luck, his landlord had been hounding him for past due rent he couldn't pay. He hadn't been able to find gainful employment in Saint George after moving there from northern Utah. He was active in church, loved his family. One thing his friends and family were certain about him was that he was not suicidal.

When his car was located by Henderson police all that was found inside were blankets, pillows, and wrapped Christmas presents waiting to be given to his family that Christmas. He was last seen walking away from where he'd parked his car with a package or manila envelope in a residential neighborhood, never to be seen or heard from again.

His family still has hopes of finding him, dead or alive. They haven't given up searching for him. Although another tragedy hit within one year of his disappearance when his father became suddenly ill and died.

**I wanted to add that notes from a recent sacrament talk were found in his scriptures. From what was shown it was underlined "When times get tough, the Lord will provide."

I am wondering if this young man put all his faith on the line and discovered that his god had let him down. It can lead to helplessness and despair [and the realization that it's up to you to solve your problems. All the mormon church propaganda doesn't help and makes it worse.] I went through this myself 20+ years ago after a fire destroyed my home. I was told to get over it ~ Count your blessings and be grateful. The church and leaders offered no support.

Back to the case, while mormons love to brag about families and their love, many families have communication problems. Perhaps in this case, the mormon expectation of being successful caused Steven to not tell his family his real problems. Apparently, he did not have an engagement to a young woman and that is a big problem for his future sense of mormon exaltation. [I am not saying that he was a closet gay, but that is a possibility].

Hopefully, he can be eventually be located so his family can have some sense of closure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 04:33PM

I knew this family years ago. I knew Rolf's brother and his wife. They were always feeling like the losers in the family and everyone praised Rolf for his success. I do think it was a strong family dynamic.

At this point, I do not believe it's likely that he's alive. I don't know if foul play was involved. I'm sure it's been a heartbreaking situation for the family. No knowing must be excruciating.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.