Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 05:50AM

I finished almost all of the Fender Play canned lessons. I am now redoing some of the ones I didn't master and taking the ones that have been added over the past few months. A lot of the lessons were on power chords, which work better on electric guitars.

I've been wanting an electric guitar anyway, because I've been curious. My husband, who is also learning guitar at a much slower rate, is also curious. For months, I've been eyeing Fender's acoustasonic guitars. They're basically hybrids of acoustic and electric guitars.

Well, after discussing it with my husband this morning, I pulled the trigger and bought one. Provided the credit card goes through (always a crap shoot when you live in Europe but have an American billing address), I should have my new gear in a few days.

I don't play that well yet, but I still want to learn and I had money saved, since traveling is out. And I do play a lot better than I did last May. I'm even starting to get barre chords, though they still need work.

In other news, I've lost three relatives over the past few weeks. Since one of them is being buried today, I decided to record a new song.

For those who are interested... (the song is called "Don't Know What To Say" by Beth Nielsen Chapman, Amy Sky, and Olivia Newton-John)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l6OdjSzhP8&t=16s

And just to add a little Mormonism to this post, last week my husband and I made a couple of CDs for his Mormon daughter in Utah. She had sent us a book of guitar chords for our anniversary. Prior to sending it, she asked what kind of music we like. Well, I have an HUGE library of music that spans many genres. Her dad and I sit around and listen to music all the time... we talk and drink wine and make plans for the future. So we made her two discs with some eclectic songs that mean a lot to us. We also included "liner notes" with explanations of why they mean a lot.

I don't expect her to like all of the songs, but maybe she will learn more about her dad and it will give her something else to talk about next time they Skype. I made sure to make the songs mostly Mormon friendly, although I did include one song by Paul Thorn, who is kind of irreverent. I could make playlists all day. If she likes those discs, maybe I'll make more.

That's about it... thanks for all who read this. This group has been especially supportive of my little pandemic project.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 08:33AM

I am not just supportive, I am in awe of what you are accomplishing.

What a great way to live through a pandemic!

I can't play the video right now (it is 5:30 AM where I am and someone is sleeping), but I will listen to it later today.

Way to go, knotheadusc!

Date: December 05, 2020 09:24AM

Aww... thank you. I have been wanting to learn for so long. It’s been very rewarding!

We also adopted a street dog from Kosovo a couple of months ago. Between the dog and the guitar, we’ve been learning a lot of new things!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2020 09:25AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 10:22AM

I play the guitar to please the Lord.

So far He hasn't given me any feedback...

Sometimes I wonder if He's really listening?

Do you ever download chord-charted songs from the chord/tab websites?

Date: December 05, 2020 10:25AM

I am a member of Ultimate Guitar. I dabble with it sometimes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 11:47AM

I signed up for Ultimate-guitar! I've begun wall-papering my walls with chord charted song printouts at eye level ...

It's not that good a look, but it's very practical.

Date: December 05, 2020 12:24PM

Bwahahhahaha! Sometimes it’s fun to see if I can manage any of the songs. I come pretty close with some of them. I haven’t tried since my semi barre chord breakthrough. Maybe tomorrow.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 05:33AM

Nice one Knothead

I'm too cheap to sign up with Ultimate Guitar but I do watch plenty of free lessons on YouTube. You can learn some nice tricks from them, and play your favourite songs a little bit more like the original artists do, not just strumming the approximate chords.

I started playing my electric guitar fairly late in life, but still able to improve (slowly) with practice, especially since I play with an equally talentless band (for fun only) once a week.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 05:37AM

Have you been on a walkabout, oldpobot? We missed you.

Date: December 08, 2020 11:35AM

Playing in a crappy band is a dream for me. I do sometime play long with recordings and I found one guy on YouTube whose videos are so friendly and nice. He was helpful as I attempted barre chords for the first time. I still suck at them, but I have improved.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 01:41PM

I'm learning the piano with "PianoWithJonny.com". Pretty cool. Perhaps I will be an ok Jazz Pianist by the time i'm 60.

Good luck on your guitar lessons!

Date: December 05, 2020 02:42PM

Goals are good... keeps life worth living. Keep practicing!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 02:12PM

I'm learning how to make sweet sounds with the kazoo.

Date: December 05, 2020 02:42PM

Cool. If you can sing, you have it made.

Date: December 08, 2020 04:52AM

The new guitar should be here this afternoon... it's not a moment too soon, since I was trying to change the strings on my acoustic this morning and broke one. And the string that broke is the only one for which I have no extras lying around.

I suspect my husband will soon have an electric guitar, only his will be a true electric guitar. Maybe we can form a duo in 2021.

ETA: The new guitar has arrived. I plugged it into Logic Pro. I think it will be fun getting to know my new toy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 06:42AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 12:04PM

Enjoy your new toy. You are talented for sure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.