Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 12:30AM

I watched the devotional and felt it did not end in a positive way. But maybe it is me. I re-watched it again. This is my impression.
1. Rusty explains he is an "authorized servant" that can leave us with a blessing. Why not say "as the prophet, or the CEO or an apostle." I found that strange.
2. Then he did some weird hand movements by lifting his hands off pulpit 1 to 2 inches. As he does this he is saying what he wants to do. "leave you with my blessing.' This is something I have seen on TV with other ministers when they are about to give a blessing.
3. I have been raised in the Church and taught that when we give a blessing we do several things. Bow our heads. Close our eyes. And use the words "Heavenly Father" at the beginning. And end in "the name of Jesus Christ." Rusty only ended it that way.
4. It did not seem like a blessing but rather Rusty giving a talk.
5. My last comment has to do with instructions I was taught about giving a blessing. When we give a blessing we state that it is through the power and authority of the Priesthood. I would have expected God's prophet to make a similar statement.

My take away about his Christmas message was it was all about Rusty trying to impress us that he is important.

As far as the blessing content it was weak. He blesses us with peace at Christmas. Really. With all the stuff that is happening we need to be blessed and comforted by knowing God is looking after us. We need some direction and there was none.
Again just my thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 01:19PM

It just goes to show that's all he's got....which is a whole lot of nuthin!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 02:08PM

He's sustained as God's prophet by millions (?) of people, isn't that proof enough?

O wait...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 08:57PM

He is a global faith leader. He no longer presents himself as a prophet.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 11:02PM

Is it possible that a future leader would hold themselves out as an all-knowing prophet? And any chance people would believe him?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 09:15PM

By that logic, isn’t a deacon an authorized servant?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter what he does. The true believers will swoon over any nonsense he says. Senility only deepens the mysteries of God.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 11:02PM

There was a song that preceded the actual talks with stained glass visuals-animation. It was very strange for "Mormon" standards.

https://youtu.be/K9uJdPHu-zQ?t=201

I'm a 40ish-50ish guy who went through the extreme correlation that brought church policy to forefront of every church meetinghouse. The rise of handbooks dictated how a person should worship, act, and see.

I have terrible memories of seeing pictures of Jesus being thrown out of the meetinghouse's library because they didn't meet the new standards of the church. A lot of other religion's denominational art depicting different stages of the life of Jesus were tossed. All of this because someone decided that a Jesus with a glow near the heat or a giant halo of brightness above the head was irreverent.

So I'm going to state what I see in that video. The Mormon church trying damn hard to have a catholic reformation or revival of Christianity.

I think that I have finally figured out Rusty's dream. I think he sees himself as some sort of modern day reformer such as Martin Luther. I think he wants church members to have some sort of faux Christmas tradition that dates back to the 1300's.

The only problem with all of this is that there are too many members who still have or remember all the Pharisees of Mormonism. Have you ever been told off for saying "God bless you" when a person sneezes?

I have.

I think the next logical step will pressure each ward chapel to purchase a crucifix to be displayed inside the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 11:03PM by messygoop.

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 01:25AM

So we get a give thanks message on Thanksgiving and a Christmas message on Christmas. Profound.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 05:48AM

I was listening for any comments on the (then 230,000) Americans killed by the pandemic, or words of sympathy and encouragement for their families.

A real blessing should have had "good health" or to tell the "angel of death" to pass over our door, or to fast and pray fervently, or at least to wear a damn mask. But--nothing.

He would have too much liability, when whatever he did himself, or told others to do failed to work. It would prove him to be a false prophet (or a false global leader, or whatever). How about "A tiin-man cult leader who takes people's money and gives NOTHING in return."

Anyone who invites people to gather in large groups indoors when the scientists warn people that they might DIE, or might infect someone else to might DIE. Russel Nelson thinks he is entitled and above the law, and a virus wouldn't DARE invade his sacred body. (The little girl and her family be damned.)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 05:51PM

Having nothing to say he spent half an hour proving It!!!!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 12, 2020 06:14AM

First Presidency Christmas Devotionals are always so blah. It’s General Conference light with Christmas decorations.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: December 12, 2020 08:13PM

BILLIONS [who didn't see it]

MORMON PR

Self BOASTING

IDOL (Idle) worship

I hear better things than that Every Day, in Music, Strangers, Nature, a Machine, My Head, etc., etc. etc...

Nobody listens to or watches this kind of drivel but those that HAVE TO (practically): the LDS (the lost, dead or superstitious). I think that's what it stands for. Acronyms~

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.