Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 01:23PM

The new handbook says: Seek out and share only credible, reliable and factual sources of information. Avoid sources that are speculative or founded on rumor.

I wonder which category we fall under.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 01:27PM

If that's what Mormons truly did, they would all be heading for the exits at warp speed.

Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 09:17PM

They don't care to seek factual information or factual evidence. They don't care about finding truth. A big lesson learned and realization for me in the last couple years. They do not care if the religion was true or not. It was never about that in the first place. Ever. It was all about showcasing their false image and gaining supply from every gathering in that operation. Narcississts gravitate towards cults and even religions like a moth to a flame. Its a straight up harvest for them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 06:31PM

We could call it "Operation Warp Speed".

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 21, 2020 03:16PM

Utah Lighthouse Ministry - here we come.

Some years back when asking questions I had a Bishop who told me to "visit the Tanners" at Utah Lighthouse Ministry for truthful information.

Their copies of original documents was the main reason - as L-d$,inc did not open them to mere members.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 01:53PM

It would be cool to supply Mormons with a hard copy of the original printing of the Book of Mormon...

And maybe a daily quote from the old Millennial Star newspaper:

"The Latter-day Saints’ Millennial Star was the longest continuously published periodical of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and was printed in England from 1840 until 1970, when it was replaced by the church-wide Ensign. It was primarily aimed at British Latter-day Saints." --wikipedia

Some of the stuff in there would curl your hair...even Gladys' buffont!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 01:57PM

LOL. To be fair, the church seems to be addressing QAnon crap, and that has my approval. I wish they were more direct about it, though.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 04:36PM

I think they are addressing things like the CES Letter, and RFM and it's siblings. That the shoe actually fits QAnon better is a coincidence, though a useful one. I'm sure the Ammon Bundys of LDS Inc are causing them serious heartburn.

Any information that makes them look bad is, by their self-serving definition, unreliable.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 05:01PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any information that makes them look bad is, by
> their self-serving definition, unreliable.
===============================

By Jove, that makes complete sense.
Think you nailed it. Mystery solved.

But isn't that Q-phenomenon just fascinating?
Even if only in a train-wreck way fascinating

How is it even possible.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 06:35PM

> Any information that makes them look bad is, by
> their self-serving definition, unreliable.

Where have we heard that before?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 06:44PM

You're probably right. I mentioned QAnon because apparently it's really infiltrated the MLM community, particularly DoTerra, and we all know how much Utah loves MLMs.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 08:50PM

I just read the article in SLTrib about the new directives in the Church Handbook, and I revise my comment - I think it was aimed at q-anon-like sources. Perhaps not exclusively, but avoiding sources that “seek to promote anger, contention, fear, or baseless conspiracy theories” sure sounds like the q-tippers to me.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 12:05PM

What if my reliable source is The Da Vinci code?

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just read the article in SLTrib about the new
> directives in the Church Handbook, and I revise my
> comment - I think it was aimed at q-anon-like
> sources. Perhaps not exclusively, but avoiding
> sources that “seek to promote anger, contention,
> fear, or baseless conspiracy theories” sure
> sounds like the q-tippers to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2020 12:06PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 09:36PM

Could be a bit of blow back about the Daybell/Vallow crap too. There is a new 3 hour show on Sunday.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/doomsday-mom-lori-vallow-true-crime-documentary

On Sunday, true-crime network Investigation Discovery (ID) is airing a three-hour documentary titled "Doomsday: The Missing Children," which follows the Woodcocks' (Grandparents) quest to learn the truth. Cameras follow them as they travel the country to gather information from local law enforcement and concerned friends in hopes of creating a timeline for matriarch Lori Vallow.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 11:27AM

TSCC doesn't want [the members to have] the TRUTH.

It would rather have the members (and their money)!

MORMONISM showed me MORMONISM wasn't true. I didn't have to go looking anywhere else.

Posted by: Bela Fromaga ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 11:45AM

Mormonism: fact checking your divergent opinions decades before social media.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 01:40PM

The Mormon church has no moral authority to ask anyone to seek information from reliable sources. Their own propaganda machine is extremely effective at spreading mis-information and has been for several decades now.

And at the risk of sounding partison political, I am going to concede something first that is contrary to my own political positions to make a valid point about the use of mis-information. It is possible (and I truly don't know and neither does the average person anywhere) that the whole of the election fraud claims that the Trump Administration is currently making could be knowingly (by him) false. Before everyone piles-on here (and please don't), let's just say that it will be settled on Jan 20th either way and that either Trump is lying or is a coward if he does nothing significant now, given the existing claims and the implications of those claims, if true. Please don't pile-on here. There is a good reason for bringing this volatile issue up right now as an example (see below). If nothing else, claims of poll fraud make a great cudgel in attempts to win at another related issue that has less to do with this specific election (fair or not) than the larger issue that is really being fought over.

Mis-information can be an effective cudgel. Is this un-ethical? The question can be better understood by asking if picking up a crowbar in a street fight is un-ethical. What is ethical or not ethical when your life is on the line? Was the Russia collusion narrative and impeachment against President Trump ethical? Are the "China collusion" claims that are currently brewing against Joe Biden ethical? Ethical or not, mis-information makes for great weapons. Using the election fraud claims as an example (only), one side sees no way to implement election safeguards to the election process because the other side is against putting those measures in place because they fear that some people will be disenfranchised as a result of those very measures. Let's not try to decide the best answer to that issue in this thread. Whether one side is being disenfranchised through too stringent of rules or whether the lack of rules harms election integrity is a matter of opinion that I hope we won't be discussing here. My point is that both sides are using mis-information as weapons in attempts to win their own way about ethical issues on other related but different issues. Many people are picking up that crowbar as they believe is justified when maybe they are not justified in using that kind of a weapon in the given situation. We pay our legislators to work these details all out. Hopefully people realize this isn't and shouldn't be war (at least yet), whether or not they admit it to others. We can have opposing world-views and should be able to get along without being all-in in the belief in any dis-information, even if that information matches our own world view and thus, is easy to accept (oh yes, I know my church is true and everything I see proves it). We've all either left a cult of dis-information or we're currently in the process of leaving a cult of dis-information here. Hopefully in that process, we learn about critical thinking and how to do it for ourselves. We can also try to play fair (unlike too many others in this world), instead of picking up that crowbar or just believing what our own camp tells us. I know that a lot of people in my political party lie as much as those on the other side do. But I don't believe all of what they say and tend to dismiss information that supports my own world view routinely, when that information comes from certain sources or is discredited through other means as I try to dig out the truth.

The church will never tell you how to use critical thinking skills. Nor will they tell you to dismiss any information from even them, or to dismiss information that may be otherwise "faith promoting". The church's interest is to keep the sheep in line, whichever way the course goes. Go to church. Pay your tithing. Nothing should be more important than that. Pesky things like understanding your world and trying to make a better place of it tend to get in the way of that.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2020 02:07PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 03:59PM

The inauguration has no bearing on the election. That was finalized with the electoral college vote as the constitution requires.

Saying the inauguration will determine the presidency is like saying a birth didn't occur until the birthday party.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 05:29PM

The church makes deity claims that they know can't be disproven by science.

The facts regarding its ugly, tawdry (but spicy) history have to be ignored. The basic claim now made by the church is that the church is true; that the humans in its history were flawed so ignore what they did and said and just listen to what we say they meant.

"The only claim of the Mormon church worth anything is the one about the paper plates on which Relief Society cookies are served being clean enough to eat off of. Yay, ghawd!"
--Judic West, fierce apologist and idolator of the Church of Henry VIII

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 10:23PM

If this (seeking information from reliable sources) coming from ChurchCo isn't the Most Ironic tidbit of advice...

U get my drift?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2020 11:22PM by GNPE.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 21, 2020 02:08PM

I am the reliable source mentioned.
If you don't believe it Just ask me and I will tell you YES I am the reliable source.!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2020 02:10PM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.