Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:04PM

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/latter-day-saint-church-handbook-update-addresses-prejudice-misinformation?fbclid=IwAR0pGNd2iWNtL575mm0dGfJwZ0QOyeTB3Nbc9Z1kCBvkg15ATJtsYINx5iE

Latter-day Saint church handbook update addresses prejudice.

Prejudice (New Section)

"All people are children of God. All are brothers and sisters who are part of His divine family,” the handbook says. “Prejudice is not consistent with the revealed word of God. Favor or disfavor with God depends on devotion to Him and His commandments, not on the color of a person’s skin or other attributes. The Church calls on all people to abandon attitudes and actions of prejudice toward any group or individual.”

Really? "Prejudice is not consistent with the revealed word of God." ?

Blatant racism STILL in The 'revealed word of (a racist MORmON) God'

Demonization of 'dark' or 'black' skin.

2 Nephi 5:21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

3 Nephi 2:15
And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites;

Jacob 3:5, 8-9
Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins....

1 Nephi 12:23
And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.

Alma 3:6
And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

Mormon 5:15
And also that the seed of this people may more fully believe his gospel, which shall go forth unto them from the Gentiles; for this people shall be scattered, and shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us, yea, even that which hath been among the Lamanites, and this because of their unbelief and idolatry.

Moses 7:22
And Enoch also beheld the residue of the people which were the sons of Adam; and they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it was the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not place among them.

White Supremacy:

3 Nephi 2:15
And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites;

1 Nephi 13:15
And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the bland for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.

1 Nephi 11:13
And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

2 Nephi 5:21
And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Jacob 3:8
O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

Joseph Smith—History 1:31-32He had on a loose robe of most exquisite whiteness. It was a whiteness beyond anything earthly I had ever seen; nor do I believe that any earthly thing could be made to appear so exceedingly white and brilliant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:23PM

As the epitome of the Clueless Convert, I had NO IDEA of the racist teachings of Mormonism. I "read" the BoM, in a hurry, not focused, kind of just a sloppy skim, as the missionaries nagged me mercilessly to get baptized first, ask questions later. Surely anyone with cognition intact would smell fish at that point. But no, I plunged headfirst into their spiel, and later their font (and they dunked me twice just to make it stick, but we know it was a failed attempt, yay for me).

I hadn't heard much about Mormonism until I met a Mormon while engaged in some volunteer work, then met his wife, ended up being "friends" and became the recipient of countless dinner invitations where the mishies were omnipresent - I thought it was just a thing they did, not that I was the object of their fervent conversion efforts.

So, I didn't realize that Mormon doctrine was known to be racist by outsiders, firmly denied by the LDS church through the years.

To borrow from Scarlett O'Hara (and much later WKRP), "as God is my witness" I did not realize that the references to "white", "whiteness" and "white and delightsome" in the BoM referred to skin colour. I thought it was a literary device meaning purity. Even "dark and loathsome" I thought meant due to sin, definitely not skin colour.

I didn't discover the truth about the racist meanings until I came to RfM and I was horrified, both at the doctrine but also at my own general cluelessness and malleability. Reading those passages now, the doctrine is disgusting. I wince hugely as I read back the words that went swishing right over my head on my initial reading of the BoM and regret that I did not even later notice or realize the intent during the three years of my Mormon odyssey.

But then, to my ongoing shame, I am the same person who not that long ago said to my niece: "You're not Black" because her father is Jamaican. I had always thought Black referred to African-Americans and people in various other nations. I knew absolutely nothing about Jamaica, obviously. I found out the hard way that my education is sadly lacking in this area and am trying to rectify it. I also owe my niece an apology for my careless, hurtful comment.

But as for Mormonism. Yeah, hard to justify those words in "the most correct book on earth".

And. I'm sorry.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:35PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As the epitome of the Clueless Convert, I had NO
> IDEA of the racist teachings of Mormonism. I
> "read" the BoM, in a hurry, not focused, kind of
> just a sloppy skim, as the missionaries nagged me
> mercilessly to get baptized first, ask questions
> later. Surely anyone with cognition intact would
> smell fish at that point. But no, I plunged
> headfirst into their spiel, and later their font
> (and they dunked me twice just to make it stick,
> but we know it was a failed attempt, yay for me).
>
> I hadn't heard much about Mormonism until I met a
> Mormon while engaged in some volunteer work, then
> met his wife, ended up being "friends" and became
> the recipient of countless dinner invitations
> where the mishies were omnipresent - I thought it
> was just a thing they did, not that I was the
> object of their fervent conversion efforts.
>
> So, I didn't realize that Mormon doctrine was
> known to be racist by outsiders, firmly denied by
> the LDS church through the years.
>
> To borrow from Scarlett O'Hara (and much later
> WKRP), "as God is my witness" I did not realize
> that the references to "white", "whiteness" and
> "white and delightsome" in the BoM referred to
> skin colour. I thought it was a literary device
> meaning purity. Even "dark and loathsome" I
> thought meant due to sin, definitely not skin
> colour.
>
> I didn't discover the truth about the racist
> meanings until I came to RfM and I was horrified,
> both at the doctrine but also at my own general
> cluelessness and malleability. Reading those
> passages now, the doctrine is disgusting. I wince
> hugely as I read back the words that went swishing
> right over my head on my initial reading of the
> BoM and regret that I did not even later notice or
> realize the intent during the three years of my
> Mormon odyssey.
>
> But then, to my ongoing shame, I am the same
> person who not that long ago said to my niece:
> "You're not Black" because her father is Jamaican.
> I had always thought Black referred to
> African-Americans and people in various other
> nations. I knew absolutely nothing about Jamaica,
> obviously. I found out the hard way that my
> education is sadly lacking in this area and am
> trying to rectify it. I also owe my niece an
> apology for my careless, hurtful comment.
>
> But as for Mormonism. Yeah, hard to justify those
> words in "the most correct book on earth".
>
> And. I'm sorry.

Nicely done Nightingale, as always!

Hi, my name's joseph's myth and yes I'm too a recovering race-aholic free from too many years being LDS and hanging around bad doctrine.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:40PM

"Hi, my name's joseph's myth and yes I'm too a recovering race-aholic free from too many years being LDS and hanging around bad doctrine."

Glad to hear it. Takes a while, doesn't it.

(Sounds a bit like AA: Hi, my name's ...).

For the record, I did not, and do not, consider myself racist. I just did not understand that it is inherent in Mormon doctrine.

Date: December 18, 2020 03:52PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> "Hi, my name's joseph's myth and yes I'm too a
> recovering race-aholic free from too many years
> being LDS and hanging around bad doctrine."
>
> Glad to hear it. Takes a while, doesn't it.
>
> (Sounds a bit like AA: Hi, my name's ...).
>
> For the record, I did not, and do not, consider
> myself racist. I just did not understand that it
> is inherent in Mormon doctrine.

Reminds me of the hilarious Foxworthy skit, you might be a redneck if..

Date: December 18, 2020 04:44PM

My name is schrodingerscat and I'm a recovering MORmON (racist).
I just had a huge argument with my (Atheist) Mormon sister about this whole topic. (Long story but she lost her faith at BYU after hearing in a religion class that Joseph Smith was a money digger and got convicted for treasure hunting. She faked it and kept her membership to finish her degree and just never got around to resigning, but still defends the church, even though she knows it's bullshit.) She has been Mormon for 60 years and never knew about the racism in Mormon scriptures. Of course she's never really read the Book of Mormon, so it's no surprise. She said she never knew about the racism or Joseph's philandering until I started telling her all about it. The Cult does a pretty decent job of steering clear of the blatant racism STILL contained in their scriptures. I don't get why they don't just go through and redact it all out of the scriptures. Until they do, Mormonism is a Racist institution and continues to legitimize racism by keeping it in print and distributing it every day.
IMO, it's immoral to keep your name on the records of a CULT that keeps these hateful 19th Century bogus racist myths canonized as the 'revealed word of God'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 04:47PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:50PM

That's some solid documentation SC

So gotta wonder, with this revision:
Why now?
What problem are they trying to fix, or disaster forestall?

Is it in any way correlated to the nascent "it's (sort of) okay (we hope) to (humbly) question things" initiative?
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2348277

Date: December 18, 2020 04:38PM

Dr. No Wrote:
> That's some solid documentation SC
>
> So gotta wonder, with this revision:
> Why now?
> What problem are they trying to fix, or disaster
> forestall?
>
> Is it in any way correlated to the nascent "it's
> (sort of) okay (we hope) to (humbly) question
> things" initiative?
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2348277

I think they're just giving members a way to sweep the whole 'racism thing' under the rug, by saying, "Hey, look, We get a pass! Look at our handbook of instructions! It says prejudice is incompatible with the revealed word of God! Our current Prophet has denounced racism! It doesn't matter what anybody else said in the past. Or what our scriptures STILL say! WE"RE NOT RACIST!!!"

When in point of fact, saying, "We're not racist because our PRofit says we're not racists!" is contradicted by the racist scriptures which the PRofit could easily redact, just like the thousands of other edits the church has made to the "Revealed Word of God" over the past 150 years, but take away the blatant racism from Mormon scriptures and it's just another one of 35,000 different Christian denominations.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 05:28PM

Makes perfect sense.
Had forgotten entirely that hypocrisy can be a way of life.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 04:13PM

" If there is one drop of negro blood in my children, as I have read to you, they receive the curse, There isn't any argument, therefore, as to intermarriage with the Negro, is there? "Now we are generous with the Negro. We are willing that the Negro have the highest kind of education. I would be willing to let every Negro drive a Cadillac if they could afford it." -- Mark E. Petersen

Date: December 18, 2020 04:49PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> " If there is one drop of negro blood in my
> children, as I have read to you, they receive the
> curse, There isn't any argument, therefore, as to
> intermarriage with the Negro, is there? "Now we
> are generous with the Negro. We are willing that
> the Negro have the highest kind of education. I
> would be willing to let every Negro drive a
> Cadillac if they could afford it." -- Mark E.
> Petersen

That's an easy one to dismiss by MORmONs who just say he was speaking as a man, not as a PRofit!
Not so easy to dismiss the blatant racism STILL canonized as the 'revealed word of God' in Mormon scriptures however.

Date: December 18, 2020 05:06PM

You do know that all of this hate of the negro Joseph Smith couldn't reconcile has to do with his acquaintance with Black Jake? That's the guy that maybe got old Joe so high on an elixir of uncontrolled substances like special wine and mushrooms. Smith was never the same again, messed up worse than ever. He never forgave him.

Later in the sacrament wine in Nauvoo suffered the people the same. A real nasty person Smith was proving him self to be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9OCSkqec5A

Date: December 20, 2020 05:29PM

josephssmmyth Wrote:
> You do know that all of this hate of the negro
> Joseph Smith couldn't reconcile has to do with his
> acquaintance with Black Jake? That's the guy that
> maybe got old Joe so high on an elixir of
> uncontrolled substances like special wine and
> mushrooms. Smith was never the same again, messed
> up worse than ever. He never forgave him.
>
> Later in the sacrament wine in Nauvoo suffered the
> people the same. A real nasty person Smith was
> proving him self to be.
>
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9OCSkqec5A

NOTHING would surprise me, but I shouldn't have to go back to 19th C. hearsay about Joseph's Myth to discredit the predatory "MORmONs" and get them to shut the fuck up about their GD abusive CULT. Racism is abusive to those it dehumanizes.
Sexism is abusive to women.
Homophobia is abusive to homosexuals.
Kids get abused every day by MORmoN Penis Holders who get away with child rape because MORmONs circle the wagons whenever one of their own is being attacked. And they attack all accusers as something worthy of being disowned, discredited, dishonored, hated. When they're just telling the truth.
It's for them that I speak up.
Because I know them and can name 10 names of kids I know who've been abused by this CULT. and just because of the secretive nature of it, a lot of crimes are committed by this CULT because its just not convenient or polite or respectful to "The Lord's Anointed" to accuse them of anything inappropriate, because for heaven's sake, we wouldn't want to bring dishonor on the "good name of the church." Better to dishonor the good names of innocent children, who were brainwashed to believe they were absolutely powerless when it came to saying "NO!" to an adult who was being inappropriate with them.
It's for them that I speak up whenever I have a chance, about the abusive CULT of Joseph's Myth of Doomsday Supremacists, whenever I can.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 09:13PM

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 09:31PM

Didn't the Handbook of Instructions, a couple of editions ago, still encourage members to marry within their own ethnic group?

Date: December 18, 2020 09:57PM

No doubt, strike down (kill) the couple where they stand if caught together. Even if family. BY

Lucky me, found Blazing Saddles and the healing rolled in like the calvery.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zkVl1zfM_G4

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 08:50PM

The amazing thing is that tbm's won't see the irony in still holding racist scripture, yet disavowing racism. They don't think they are racist at all. The world just persecutes them because of the devil or something.

Date: December 20, 2020 08:59PM

macaRomney Wrote:
> The amazing thing is that tbm's won't see the
> irony in still holding racist scripture, yet
> disavowing racism. They don't think they are
> racist at all. The world just persecutes them
> because of the devil or something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5qArvBdHkJA

What?! Dare to suggest possible denial, blatant blasphemy I say, blasphemy ba ba by-George!

Ha Ha..

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 22, 2020 03:37PM

They're beating the old dead horse. They seem to forget that for 148 years they openly and enthusiastically supported racism. There are still plenty of active Mormons (like me) who grew up with this. It's going to take decades and abandonment of the Book of Mormon for it to fade away.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 22, 2020 03:44PM

I'm usually pleased when the church makes progress. It hopefully results in either helping the die hard members become incrementally better people, or in awakening those who are not so dedicated to the realization that TSSC's history is dirty, not divine.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 22, 2020 03:45PM

+1

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.