Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 09:56PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 10:11PM

I think the standard ploy is to come up with an explanation that places the blame somewhere other than on the 'prophet' having misspoken. (i.e., made it up...)

If you can get a group of people to believe something you made up a first time, you know you're working with a pre-qualified group who have a good chance of yielding to your blandishments yet a second time!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 10:39PM

Admit it failed because of (insert sin here) the night before and it's all my fault.

I the lord am bound when you do what I say. But when you do not what I say you have no promise.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 10:41PM

D&C 82:10

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 10:44PM

翻转桌子

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 10:54PM

I’d rather flip something else.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 10:40AM

Fall back 5 yards and punt

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 12:50PM

Laugh at the sheer stupity of "prophecy" and the expectaion people have that it will be fulfilled.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 01:38PM

Call Visa and cancel the payment to the Psychic . . . or Prophet . . . or President, or . . . hey, why does it all start with "P"? Even Parler!

Beware of P-Anon?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 01:40PM

Ps&QsAnon?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 02:49PM

When I fail...

What will profits do?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 03:07PM

Find a new prophet.

That's what a lot of cultists do.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 04:09PM

I was tricked by a serpent! No, really I swear! I won't let it happen again! You see, even the elect can be deceived! How much more deceived must you followers be? I'm still your best bet at salvation, so keep following along. God won't let me lead you astray, besides, even if he does, you'll be blessed for following...

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 05:43PM

There was a whole book written on this subject in 1956

https://www.amazon.com/When-Prophecy-Fails-Psychological-Destruction/dp/0061311324

When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of A Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World

They all follow the same pattern.
Look at the faith we inherited, Mormonism.

Joseph Smith gave an exact date when Jesus was supposed to return to Earth, in the scriptures. 1891.

When that day came and went to no consequence, the Mormons, many of whom had crossed the plains and sacrificed family along the way, had too much invested at that point to just pull up stakes and leave. So they stayed, my family among them, in the oxbow of the Jordan River, which sounds like a kind of heaven on Earth for them, all living communally across the river from the Snows and the Youngs were spread out all over the West. They had waaaay too much invested. Life was good for them. Why leave? Why denounce the faith you'd invested everything into, for what?
A trip to outer darkness, or hell? Hey, this shit's working for me, shutup about science and philosophy and any kind of real education.

So they stuck with it. Willfully ignorant to the rest of the world around them. Completely ignorant.

It's called 'sunk cost fallacy', "I've got so much sunk into this belief that if I turned back now I'd have to start all over, so whatever you have to say is nonsense!"

They were brainwashed. They brainwashed my Grandma and her son, my Dad, who believed there was nothing wrong with Mormonism, except that god didn't exist, because he didn't work. My father was a very practical man. At 18 he went away to college and started partying and decided he'd better find out for himself if this whole Mormonism thing was true or not. He knelt down and asked god if the Book of Mormon was true and if Joseph Smith was a prophet. He asked God to please send him a sign that he'd heard him.
God never answered him.
So he figured that God either, didn't exist or didn't care to answer. Either way it made the same difference,
none.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 05:46PM

There is no indication in this post that you even read the book.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 05:48PM

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 07:31PM

A prophecy isn't a prophecy unless it comes true. That's how you can tell if something is really a prophecy. Duh.

(Circular reasoning is to be expected when your God's "course is one eternal round." "Row, row, row your barge ....")

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 07:40PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2021 10:12AM

Haha Heavenly Father is so mad at you he isn't even talking to Russ! Nobody gets any more revelation until cl2 cleans up her act! :) The Burning Bush hath spoken.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 09:23PM

I heard it in the mail

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 03:02AM

Bring him before the Sanhedrin along with at least two independent eyewitnesses. Then Stone him to death and bury him outside the city.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.