Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 04:33PM

For those who don't know Jo Jo Siwa is a 17 year old female celebrity. You may have seen her recently on the masked singer.

She has a huge line of merchandise sold st walmart, target, khols etc. Basically shoes, clothes, hair bows, bedding, underwear etc.

Recently she posted a photo of herself wearing a t shirt saying best gay cousin causing a series of speculations about her sexual orientation.

In an interview she committed the mormon unpardonable sin stating she wasn't about labels and she was just going to be herself.

I wondered what ramifications would follow.

Today at my local walmart in northern utah I saw a large amount of her merchandise in the clearance section and a noticable lack of her usually prominently displayed items.

I wonder if this will spread to other retailers and if the same is happening on other religious strongholds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 04:49PM

How do Mormons figure into this?

Merchandise carried by big box stores is not controlled by local bishops, or even local store managers. They don't get to tell corporate HQ that they refuse to carry someone's merchandise because of a photo she posted.

I suspect the decision was made some time ago to discontinue the merchandise, and it had nothing to do with anyone's sexual orientation. It had to do with sales figures.

I've never heard of Jo Jo Siwa. I consider myself lucky. I still roll my eyes every time I hear the name Justin Bieber.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 04:57PM

Q: How far did you get today?

A: Justin Beiber, Utah... Gonna make Vegas tomorrow, for sure!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 05:12PM

If a retailer knows a majority of its customers will boycott or shun a product they'll take it off the shelf and replace it with something that will sell.

How many mormon mothers will let their girls wear underwear or pajamas or sleep on sheets promoted by a gay celebrity?

How many mormon girls will continue to wear hair ribbons if they are associated with a "sinful" person?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 05:23PM

How many Mormon teenagers were allowed to listen to "I kissed a girl" sung by Katie Perry? I think you are broadly painting a demographic as fundamental that in this particular case probably isn't.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 05:10PM

The sexual orientation of singers doesn't seem to affect many Mormons I know. The ones I know who are anti-gay love groups like Queen and artists like Elton John. I don't think Jo Jo would lose much of her Mormon following since the hard core Mormons wouldn't have let their kids listen in the first place.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 12:19AM

But what about Jo Jo Rabbit ?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 01:24AM

She first came to national notice through one of Abby Lee Miller's shows, Ultimate Dance Competition. Later, Abby brought her to Dance Moms. She is an ok dancer but very limited and not really interested in growing in it. When Abby wanted her to do a ballet routine she threw a fit and with no notice her mom just took her and left. Bad example for her daughter and the girls that watched the show. Then she traded on that exposure and became an "entertainer". Then came the blitz of low quality crap marketed to the tweens. They did try to push empowering messages but I have been surprised at the longevity of it. You find a lot of it in bargain bins and sale sites. As she gets older her target audience will continue to shrink unless she does something else. Her big signature item she has been known for since day one was a huge oversized bow in her hair. It's cute at 7. As she gets older it is just starting to look... odd. Not to mention what it has done to her hairline.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.