Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 12:39PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 12:48PM

at Beaver. He'd go elsewhere, but he likes the short drive. He learned to ski at Beaver 40 years ago and is a great skier. I'd probably kill myself if I tried to ski again. It has been about 25 years for me.

So he goes up alone and is on the lift with many different people. He said compared to other years on Sundays, there are a lot more people. One of the guys he rode up with last week said that he felt that the church encouraged people to go out and do something in Sundays LIKE SKIING. My boyfriend asked me if I thought he'd continue to ski on Sundays when they go back to church (my daughter is back to church here in Hyrum, so I would assume othres are) and I said, "No. Two hours of church gives him plenty of room to continue to ski on Sundays."

I've noticed the mormons are doing more things on Sunday than I've ever seen them do before that aren't "approved."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 01:27PM

Liberal Mormons have been faced for years with the problem of how to reconcile their sense of justice with the pronouncements and practices of the LDS Church. I am amazed at how many managed to reconcile the two enough to stay involved in the church.

For conservative Mormons, having the church leaders making pronouncements contrary to their political beliefs must be a new, and disorienting experience. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 01:56PM

In one word "absolutely"
the rank and file member is less inclined to "bow down" to what is said by a disembodied voice from afar.
The examples set by the heirarchy are not what their spoken words would have you believe. It seem that the whole thing revolves around
FIRST: GET THE MONEY!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2021 01:56PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 09:08PM

I think the church is becoming viewed more as a corporation and the prophet a CEO. The church has become cold and corporate. Not really a big seller for people looking for a community of real people. It’s a corporation that orchestrates programs. What human factor actually exists is the product of individuals and not the church itself.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 09:51PM

ChurchCo has to scramble to avoid the other decline of religious influence.

More like a corp. has been obvious to many at the same time that the majority of LDS don't see it or don't agree with / deny the loss of influence...

There are remarkably Few 'pure religious members' in ChurchCo because the GAs haven't presented it as such.

Posted by: Tommyboy ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 09:59PM

Yes, the church leaders are losing their influence over the Corporation of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Real Estate Developers. Well, maybe not the corporation part, but the church part.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 30, 2021 10:09PM

A step further:

The GAs come off like a bunch of spineless wimps.

the instant they stand up for something, it falls FLAT so THEY DILUTE EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!

Who might support a 'church' that dilutes the obligation - principle of Honesty?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 31, 2021 12:03AM

I can't tell you how many times a simple decision was compounded with mass confusion. Instead of common sense, the question arose "what would the brethren do/say" in this matter.

Example: a simple prayer at a ward picnic

It was complicated by a visiting stake leader and numnuts who didn't want to exceed their priesthood authority. Imagine parents trying to keep their little ones quiet for a dumb invocation to bless burgers and potato chips and these dufus can not agree on who is in charge to call on some sap to utter a prayer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.