Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TPC ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 12:49PM

It is because of their hatred of Islam and Judaism. Two religions who traditionally had beards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 12:57PM

Times change. Look at "christian" men in the 19th century. Most of them had beards. Most of the first mormons had beards...

I think the reason lies in conformity to their cookie-cutter all-American 1950s values.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:49PM

Nowadays a lot of evangelical "Christian" males have beards as part of the general drive toward "Manliness" started in the 2000s.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:52PM

De acuerdo, Senor. It's all about staying stuck in the fifties.

All I wanted was a Beatle haircut. All I got was a flat top.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:01PM

How did you come up with that? Gee, its as if you just made it up.

Beards used to be encouraged and even required for missionaries in the first half of the 20th century. It didn't change until long hair and beards became a "symbol" of rebellion, hippies, etc. during the 60s.

These days, they have no official stance on beards or their meaning. Not having one is just a grooming standard they have adopted over the years for various reasons....none of which have to do with hatred of Islam and Judaism.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:18PM

It was because they didn't want nice young Mormon boys to look like hippies. Even though they introduced this edict years after the last hippy had got a job as an executive.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:25PM

matt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was because they didn't want nice young Mormon
> boys to look like hippies.

Or Jesus freaks?

Date: February 02, 2021 03:49PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:37PM

I think matt is right. The distancing from beards seems to come from hippie times when more rebellious or liberal signals were to be avoided. It corresponded with the church dressing like business professionals.

I'll make up a different reason for fun. Beards are a secondary sex characteristic. Sex characteristics must be kept under wraps.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 02:34PM

If Jesus set foot on BYU campus, police would have guns drawn on him within 10 minutes.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 03:00PM

And then he'd spend an hour on an uncomfortable chair in the waiting room of the Standards Office.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 03:03PM

Every "prophet" from Brigham Young to George Albert Smith had a beard.

Date: February 02, 2021 03:11PM

Damn hippies. . .

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 06:36PM

I guess it's true then. They were just men of their times.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 06:48PM

I personally don't like what seems to be the current style for men to sport facial hair that looks like he hadn't shaved for a week. Not a beard, not clean shaven, something that looks like he's been out camping for a week and didn't use a razor.

Again, it's my personal opinion only. If you like it, it's okay by me.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 07:29PM

I consider it a privilege during these isolated times to remain as unkempt as possible.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: February 04, 2021 10:32PM

Wife makes such a fuss when I trim down to a respectable beard.

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: February 04, 2021 10:41PM

I don't grow a beard because I can't get past the stubble stage. It itches and feels scruffy.

Date: February 06, 2021 05:22AM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 05, 2021 12:05PM

I'm with Tumwater and hgc, but the real issue is surrendering yourself willingly to an organization that wants to exert such control over you that you are forced to conform to their imposed standard over such a mundane issue as shaving every day. At its core it is all about control.

Date: February 05, 2021 04:40PM

It seems to me that virtually every man who leaves the church goes through a hirsute stage. It's like women wearing clothes that expose their shoulders: people look for symbolic ways of shedding their Mormon restraints.

Facial hair seems to me a common stage in the recovery process.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 05, 2021 12:22PM

Maybe the last few prophets have only been to grow scruffy Castro-like beards, so it's too embarrassing.
I, on the other hand, play Santa. Perhaps if Dieter got up at GC sporting a Most Interesting Man in the World salt & pepper beard it would bring in the manly men and the women who love them.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 05, 2021 04:18PM

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/1971/12/standards-of-dress-and-grooming?lang=eng

Undated, but pleasingly restless and peeved, suggesting a writer dis-satisfied with himself (or possibly suffering of chronic constipation).
(Most amusingly read with a heightened Nazi-ish cadence and accent, jawohl mein kommandant)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 10:04AM

From the article, they quote a 1951 address to the BYU Student Body:

"With respect to lengths of skirts, there is a point—which need not and perhaps cannot be identified in inches above the knee—where the wearer is calling attention to herself, exposing too much of her body, and sending off signals and inviting responses that are not consistent with the standards of the gospel."

First, here's a simple fact that escapes the vast majority of humans alive today: When you write or say a word, what others see or hear carries no meaning. Your first thought is probably, 'EOD is being silly, finally!'

But I'm not being silly. It's the literal truth. Look at this: phylizgnotithics. Hopefully, I haven't accidentally written out a real word, something that Gladys night majored in...

My intent was to create a word to which your brain could attach no meaning. Then if I were to say that phylizgnotithics was the study of women's breasts during their second and third decades of life, a lot more of us would remember it, compared to telling you that it was the study of the various stages of dandruff in members of Mensa. Phylizgnotithics, the first example, has many, many devotees.

Here's the simple version of communication: I say or write a word because, in MY brain, the word means what I want to say to you. And the vast majority of us work on the premise that when I say it, you are hearing what I mean.

But all you hear is the word and you then ransack your brain to associate that word with the meaning YOU gave it. (Tone is often important, but again, it's based on shared meaning.)

Here's my favorite example. A woman had a daughter and the two of them shared the English language as their basis for communication. When the daughter began dating, and became enamored of one boy, and spent a good deal of time, the mother became a bit concerned. So she sat her daughter down and had a talk with her. She used the phrase, "I think you need to cool it with your boyfriend."

Mom had in her mind a kettle boiling on the stove, and that the heat should be turned down, and not kept at a boil. The daughter heard "...cool it..." which to her (because she was hip to that jive talk) meant she had to end the relationship with the boy.

So not wanting to end the relationship, she ran away with the boy, fell into poverty and wicked ways, etc., etc.

Your vocabulary is a bunch of small containers on the shelf of your mind, with the word printed on the side, and the meaning of the word within it. So when you hear a word, a little messenger guy in your head fetches the appropriate container (did he say 'meet', 'meat' or 'mete'?) and you look at the content and act accordingly.

Those who know about the risks involved use the process of 'paraphrasing' to help ensure that the two of you are on the same page. Assume... you know what that does.

Words only have the meanings we give them, and you mustn't assume that your audience gives a word the same meaning that you do.

So, to now get back to my point: mormon stooges who speak at conference assume that women know what people who look at them are thinking and so are complicit in the sin of "...sending off signals and inviting responses that are not consistent with the standards of the gospel."

I bet there are, and certainly there have been, church authorities who think/thought that just being a female is a sin...

(There! I've done my 2021 talk regarding communication! See you next year...

Still to go, the 'Rights, Powers & Privileges' discussion.)

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 03:44AM

This has nothing to do with hatred of Judaism or Islam. In fact, they think those are two groups that can be converted. Instead, it has more to do with looking nice, clean cut and professional. Its the same thing that declares white dress shirts and dark suits as holy.

Posted by: Winston Young ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 05:12AM

Wowza Wrote:
> This has nothing to do with hatred of Judaism or
> Islam. In fact, they think those are two groups
> that can be converted. Instead, it has more to do
> with looking nice, clean cut and professional. Its
> the same thing that declares white dress shirts
> and dark suits as holy.

It's to do with polygamy and findamentalism. But ssh don't tell them that. The thought police will be out.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 06:39AM

Agree that PR is the reason beards are discouraged. The Morg likes their members to look like they belong in a commercial.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 03:49PM

getting rid of it. My husband had a beard. Oh wait, I think I was my husband's beard (I hate being called that. Emily Pearson, Carol Lynn's daughter, calls us fruit fairies). But my husband had a beard and still has a beard. It may have been different than fruit fairies, but something along those lines.

Myself, I didn't start showing my shoulders. I always have dressed very "modestly." I feel more comfortable that way. No, I just am an adulteress and I wear the label proudly (I really do).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2021 03:50PM by cl2.

Posted by: #Me Too ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 10:31AM

I must disagree with this claim that it's due to a hatred of Judaism or Islam. We were always taught the children of Abraham are the groups the Lord has special blessings for.

Church leaders want church members to stand out in the world and being clean-shaven is part of the "uniform."

On another topic, being clean-shaven (including other bodily areas) is much more hygienic. Beards are filthy. They are breeding grounds for bacteria, viruses, prions and other disease-spreaders. If you want better health – be clean shaven.

Especially in this time of COVID no one should be wearing a beard.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 11:01AM

#Me Too Wrote:
> ...being clean-shaven (including
> other bodily areas) is much more hygienic.

I don't remember the details, but I read an article a few years ago about research that showed removing pubic hair increased women's chances of vaginal infections. Pubic hair and secretions from follicles had some type of protective benefit.

Aside from that, shaving or ripping out body hair can cause micro wounds to the skin that provide access for infections.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 02:45PM

Beards are filthy? You must be joking, or maybe you just read it in a magazine and wanted to believe because you have a fetish for the shaved male face? All parts of your body need to be cleaned, beards are no exception, but that doesn't make them filthy. Beards are normal for males and there's nothing wrong with them.

"... saying that something is gross for being covered in bacteria is pretty ridiculous, because anything that exists in our physical realm is definitely going to be covered in bacteria.

I have bad news for y’all: You’re covered in poo bacteria. COVERED. Look to your left, look to your right. There’s probably poo bacteria on both sides and also in front of you. It’s okay. It’s really fine. Embrace the poo bacteria, it is a part of you because you are a multitude of microorganisms, each more special than the last.

But unless you’ve put it there intentionally, you almost certainly don’t have poop on your face. No matter how thick your beard is."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/study-find-mens-beards-filled-poop/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2021 02:45PM by eternal1.

Date: February 09, 2021 11:14AM

I have a lot of Pooh bacteria.

Winnie the Pooh bacteria is EVERYWHERE! The more, the better!!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 10:52AM

My theory is that it started with McKay wanting to modernize the image of the church. Beards were seen as a relic of the previous century and of folks like hobos, hillbillies and (most importantly) polygamists.

McKay modernized church architecture. He sent the church to the New York World's Fair and debuted "Man's Search for Happiness." Woo-hoo, a forward-looking church for the modern world!

Of course, the bearded counterculture cemented the church's resistance to facial hair — and a lot of other things.

Date: February 07, 2021 11:04AM

Because church leaders are prophets, able to communicate with the only real ghawd who matters to Earthlings, they are able to know 'Truth'. 'Truth' is something ghawd will never deny!

So if Latter-day Saints are, or were, discouraged from sporting beards, it's because ghawd said so. When has the Latter-day Saint ghawd ever been wrong, or changed his mind, or been wildly off base, when it came to 'Truth'?

So despite the manner in which ghawd designed us, we are to frustrate our facial hair follicles, deny their purpose in life, or else we are out of compliance with ghawd's plan? Maybe it's like a daily circumcision? We're our own mohel!

Yeah, yeah, mormon ghawd has been wrong, changed his mind, or been wildly off base more times than he's been correct, stayed the course, or been spot on.

We probably all have our favorites...

Mine is the prophetic warning, regarding sex, to only do what is "natural". Which in the case of this prophetic warning meant missionary sex involving one man and one woman, with the man on top ... only!

Everything else was 'unnatural'. No matter how natural it might seem, and how easily it all seemed to fit/feel/be, it was against ghawd's plan. And ghawd only revealed this to the super-righteous!

So then what would be the point of husbands having birthdays, if that were really the case?! Right?!!!!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 08:56PM

A long time ago, when I worked at the L.A. temple, I served as the exit "greeter" (big deal), while a priesthood MAN worked at the greeting end of the same table.

The man I was partnered with across from me, wore a mustache and beard, and his supervisor requested he shave it off, or quit the job. He choose the latter.

I bought a skirt that was not quite white enough, and was questioned about it. I ended up with a nurses uniform, which was white and long sleeved, and very ugly for the job--especially when aided by the green apron and other items which covered one shoulder--which were nearly impossible to keep on one's shoulder.

A meeting was called for all women temple workers. It was held for the purpose of telling us all that women could no longer work behind any of the counters. The women appointed for this job approached me with tears in her eyes, and bemoaned the fact that she had just lost her job. She asked me, "What can I do now?" (Her husband was a temple worker, and they would come together, every time the temple doors were opened.)

One of my jobs was to sit at the first seat as woman came into the temple to change from street cloths, to all white. There was a BofM for all that waited while seated, but nary a Bible. I went to the counter across from where I sat, and asked for a Bible to read while I waited. The Matron told me there was only one Bible in all the temple rooms, which was sitting on the shelve behind her, verses all of the BoM's which were placed on each and every bench or chair in the temple. This surprised me.

Once, I approached about four men chatting with each other, which would make them late to attend to their duties. You should have seen the look they gave me for reminding them regarding what they should be doing at that time--otherwise, the whole 'party' would be late. Me, a lowly female, telling them--the priesthood bearers--what to do, didn't go well.

When I first started my work in the temple we were horded into a vacant room full of seats, with an isle separating the women from the men. First we sang a religious song, next we received a lecture about being 'sealed forever' to each other. As we marched out, we were partnered with whomever was across the isle from us. As my about-to-be-sealed-to husband and I were not partnered together, I was very worried that I had just been "sealed forever" to another man. (The parents of both of us had never been inside a temple themselves.)
-----

While working in the temple, one of my jobs was to work behind the clothing counter, and pare cleaned socks together (a very important job). I also took care of the 'lost and found' cupboard--which was never approached during my tenure.

The long, windowless hallway we marched thrugh to the next room gave me claustrophobia, and was likely against fire rules.

That did it. From then on (as far as I can remember), I never went to the temple again--with the exception of when my older sister--who went for the first time---and then the door was closed in my face, because the room was already full.

Then, there was the afterwards reception at our Ward.

The greeter at the door was a friend of mine from work, who was sitting on a chair next to the opened doors, and took care that everyone who came into the room signed the registry. I'm sure she was wondering why we hadn't used the inside of the building, where we could have walked down an isle, and were everyone who cared would be sitting on the benches, watching us be married.

Our parents where supposed to be in the greeting line, however, my father refused to do so (as he wasn't very happy about whom I was was wedding), and my husband's father was in the hospital. However, both of the mothers stood there, appropriately dressed, and a friend--one of my bridesmaids husband--stood in line for my father.

However, I did have sense enough to send 'thank-you' notes to all who had attended and left a present for us. (Something many brides seem not to bother with, anymore.)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 09, 2021 12:51AM

After I graduated from HS (1967), I spent the summer in Germany and came back with a chin beard, probably all I could grow at the time. I really took head from the bishop et al.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 09, 2021 01:52AM

>I really took head from the bishop et al

Was this another example of bishop sexual abuse?

(I know it was a typo, but I couldn't resist)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 09, 2021 10:40AM

TPC Wrote:
> It is because of their hatred of Islam and
> Judaism.

No one seems to care about this statement but it is totally false.

Mormon leaders don't hate Islam and Judaism. They probably respect Islam more than most Jesus worshippers. And as to Judaism, they think they are adopted into The House of Israel. They are fake Jews but don't hate real ones. Growing up with a couple of Jewish converts to Mormonism we idolized them as not having to be adopted by Elohim.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: February 09, 2021 11:08AM

It is likely not coincidence that the grooming standards adopted by the LDS happened around the same time that the Disney organization was founded and also demanded that their members comply with the 1955 version of clean cut and modest.

Both deal in fantasy and illusion...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.