Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 17, 2021 06:56PM

I was browsing through some old book from the 50s. One was Ancient America and the Book of Mormon. It has a list of "proofs" that the Book of Mormon was "true".

Proof number 68. Get ready for this....."people in ancient Israel and Central America....both.....wore.....sandals!"

Bet you'll head back to church Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 17, 2021 07:29PM

How did FairMormon miss that one?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 09:51AM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> America....wear.....sandals!"
>
> Bet you'll head back to church Sunday.

Only in sandals, at he beach, with SURFBOARDS, and me preaching rather than being preached to...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:07AM

Laughing. Hard. Oh those cute little Mormons!

Now if they could only find a two thousand year old pair of moccasins in a tomb in Jerusalem.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:52AM

Sandals? Pshaw - FOLLOW THE GOURD!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:55AM

Also along the same line was Dewey Farnsworth's
"The Americas Before Columbus"
He did a photo travelogue of Mexico, central and south american ruins and labeled the pictures so as to associate them with BoM characters and events.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 12:33PM

When my brother converted circa 1972, one of the proofs of Central America and the Middle East were "connected" was skulls with healed over holes found in both places was evidence of brain surgery. I've never seen anything more on the subject, but I bet that book has that.

'Sandals and Surgery' will be my new BoM proof book title!

Posted by: bluidyclavers ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 12:43PM

You obviously missed the other great book on Mormon Mesoamerican archaeology, Donny Osmond Listens to Voices from the Dust, Part 1. Thank God part 2 never came out.

I kid you not. Check it out on Amazon.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 01:34PM

I found a lot for sale but couldn't find anything that gave any details of what it was. Not hard to imagine though. Hard to believe it wasn't a best seller.

Made me remember my mother and others talking non-stop about the Central American ruins being Nephite/Lamanite and excited to have archeologists, historians, and the even the Smithsonian catch on and join in their excitement thereby speeding the second coming with missionaries finding it necessary to baptize two at a time just to keep up with demand.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 02:13PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9LDLcIh9g

I must have shown the film "Ancient America Speaks" over 100 times on my mission in the early 80's. But by the time I left the CULT 20 years later, as it turned out, what I was misled to believe and in turn misled others to believe, was completely bogus, based upon the DNA evidence, which proved there was no trace of Semitic DNA in any native American populations from Pt. Barrow to Tierra Del Fuego and that they were proven to be descended from Mongolians, not Jews.
The last time I attended church I went to the library to search for Ancient America Speaks and it was nowhere to be found.
I searched through the entire catalog of available media and no sign of it. It had disappeared completely. It's like it never existed and furthermore, there was nothing available about archeology or any other branch of science.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.