Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 06:07PM

Religious fundies are going into apoplexy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congress-sexual-orientation-civil-rights-gender/2021/02/25/1351bea4-7779-11eb-8115-9ad5e9c02117_story.html

Republicans have said that the Equality Act infringes on the religious beliefs of individuals and repeatedly raised the specter of women’s sports.

In remarks on the House floor Thursday morning, Rep. Andrew S. Clyde (R-Ga.) repeatedly referred to transgender women as “biological males” and said the Equality Act would violate women’s right to privacy and safety in locker rooms and showers. He also denounced as “child abuse” the bill’s provisions on medical treatments such as gender-affirming hormones and surgeries for minors.

“God help us,” Clyde said. “Have we lost our ever-loving minds?”

Members of the hard-right House Freedom Caucus delivered a broad attack on the substance of the bill Thursday, with many calling it part of a broader liberal attack on traditional Christian values.

Rep. Randy Weber (R-Tex.) called the bill “anti-life, anti-family and anti-faith,” while Rep. Yvette Herrell (R-N.M.) said it “moves our nation away from our Judeo-Christian values and takes away parents’ rights to decide.”

The Equality Act has been a pillar of the LGBTQ civil rights movement since similar legislation was first discussed after the Stonewall riots in 1969. Democratic Rep. Bella Abzug of New York was the main sponsor of the Equality Act in 1974; other prominent supporters of the legislation included Rep. Ed Koch (D-N.Y.).

In the ensuing decades, public opinion has shifted dramatically toward support of such protections. More than 8 in 10 Americans favor laws that would protect LGBTQ people against discrimination in jobs, public accommodations and housing, according to a 2020 Public Religion Research Institute American Values Survey.

More than 21 states have passed laws explicitly prohibiting discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations or other realms. But the patchwork of laws leaves large gaps in LGBTQ protections.

In 27 states, a person can be denied housing because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. They can be denied access to education in 31 states and the right to serve on a jury in 41, according to a statement released last week by the office of Rep. David N. Cicilline (D-R.I.), the chief sponsor of the measure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 07:48PM

'Equal Rights or Special Rights'

I don't think there's an easy answer to this, let alone a resolution of issues like this.

Society & laws aren't static, (me) they should adapt to changing needs & circumstances, but stay within the intent / meaning of the Constitution;

btw, if anyone will support my wanting to be a USSC justice, please send me a PM!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 08:06PM

So many people are of the opinion that there is only one correct way to live your life. They are wrong, but they won't accept that possibility.

"If I think it, it must be so."

And that only changes from within.

This is why I hold firm to being unprincipled. Some might call it clueless, but I prefer to think of it as 'only caring in the abstract.'

And stay off my lawn!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.