Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 12:27AM

Does it have all the nasty stuff these wackos say too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 03:22AM

It's pretty good. There are some gems is there.

One of my favorites is on pg 27 under Apostasy. "As it has been in all ages of the church, so it is now ( and so it will continue while the net gathers all sorts of fish) there are unfaithful members, they have a name to live, but are dead; and being destitute of faith are destitute of good works, are faultfinders, backbiters, evil surmisers, false prophets, apostates." Millenial Star, July 9, 1853, In Messages, 2:110-19.
Just goes to show that the TBM attitude to exmos and inactives is likeley one of the few constants in the morg.

Here is a kind of funny one that should put an end to the ol' decaf debate. Found pn pg 505 "[A]s to the word of wisdom, the drinking of a beverage made from the coffee bean from which all caffine and other deleterious drugs have been removed is not regarded as violating the Word of Wisdom." Joseph Anderson, Secertary to The First Presidency, To J. Leland Anderson, AUG. 20, 1945

There are plenty of laughable quotes. But if you are looking for a bunch of hot button topics you will likely be disappointed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 03:23AM by luckychucky.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:07AM

Just curious...is oral sex's condemnation and subsequent lack of any mention whatsoever referenced in there?

Date: April 09, 2011 01:16AM

Certainly on pase 420. "Married persons should understand that if in thier marital relations they are guilty of unnatural, impure, or unholy peactices, they should not enter the temple unless and until they repent and discontinue any such prastices. Husbands and wives who are aware of these requirements can determin by themselves thier standing before the Lord." "Dear Brethren," Jan 5, 1982

I like the earlier opinion of the Church on pg 423."[T]he Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has formulated no special rules governing the associations of married people. Men and Women are required to be chaste and virtuous, before and after marriage, and husband and wife make solemn covenant to be loyal to each other; but as to thier mutual conduct in the marital relation, so far as sexual intercourse is concerned, they are left entirely free. The gospel of Christ is "the perfect law of liberty"; obedience to it does not come by coercian; and the exercise of unrighteous dominion is strictly forbidden among the latter-day saints." Joseph F. Smith To Frank S. Bellings, FEB. 17, 1905.

Date: April 09, 2011 01:40PM

All right then, I'll go with the....

Quote that's more recent?
Quote from a higher leader?
Quote that makes SENSE?
Quote I want to be true?
Quote I feel the spirit about being true?
Quote my wife says she feels the spirit about being true?
Quote my bishop says is the one to follow?

Look how the simplicity we seek in having leaders who speak for God creates the opposite. I was Ned Flanders.

Date: April 11, 2011 06:39PM

Or there is the option to go insane trying to live contradicting laws. All the contradiction was a big factor in me leaving Mormonism. I create enough complexity and comtradiction in my own life without the help of a money hungry cult trying to add to the load.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:26AM

luckychucky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Certainly on pase 420. "Married persons should
> understand that if in thier marital relations they
> are guilty of unnatural, impure, or unholy
> peactices, they should not enter the temple unless
> and until they repent and discontinue any such
> prastices. Husbands and wives who are aware of
> these requirements can determin by themselves
> thier standing before the Lord." "Dear Brethren,"
> Jan 5, 1982
>
> I like the earlier opinion of the Church on pg
> 423."he Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
> Saints has formulated no special rules governing
> the associations of married people. Men and Women
> are required to be chaste and virtuous, before
> and after marriage, and husband and wife make
> solemn covenant to be loyal to each other; but as
> to thier mutual conduct in the marital relation,
> so far as sexual intercourse is concerned, they
> are left entirely free. The gospel of Christ is
> "the perfect law of liberty"; obedience to it does
> not come by coercian; and the exercise of
> unrighteous dominion is strictly forbidden among
> the latter-day saints." Joseph F. Smith To Frank
> S. Bellings, FEB. 17, 1905.

SWK didn't get the message. Even though he stated in his 1982 letter that what goes on in a couple's bedroom is there business, he then goes on to state oral sex is an abomination, etc. etc.

Can we please get the prophets to all agree on important matters? If the source is the same, shouldn't the answer be the same?

Date: April 12, 2011 10:43AM

For sure, I think it's funny that they haven't devised a way to make it clear when they are commenting baed on human understanding or giving revelation from god. You would think that the distinction would be important. For example ,the Pope has to issue infalable statements from the throne of St. Peter for the infalable statement to be binding and as far as I am aware it has only happened once, when the assumption of Mary was declared infalable dogma. Maybe mormon prophets should be required to give revelation wearing thier temple clothes and sitting in the holy of holies on BYU TV. I doubt you would get many with the balls to even do that one time.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 01:27AM

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 06:26AM

The Exmo community, indeed the world, needs a book (or site) like this that pairs contradicting quotes of church leaders.

Date: April 11, 2011 06:42PM

I agree, thats why I ponied up for a copy of the compendium. It's far from all inclusive, but it is a good start. Not to mention it is authored by a more church friendly pair, so it is easier to use the book in conversations with friends and family who are starting to wake up to the realaties of mormonism.

Date: April 11, 2011 07:49PM

I will be making a satire podcast and would love to have the Ultra-TBM host doing mental gymnastics to try to make sense of two contradictory quotes.

Whoever has such quotes and wants to feed me ones that would be funny on the show, let me know.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 12:27AM

"I saw a striking contrast in the progress of the Indian people today.... The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos, five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation. At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl--sixteen--sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents--on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather....These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness."
- Apostle Elder Spencer W. Kimball, General Conference, 1960

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:47AM

And for the reverse side of that coin

“No More Strangers”
Alexander B. Morrison

The cause of much of the strife and conflict in the world, racism is an offense against God and a tool in the devil’s hands. How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations.

Gospel Library > Magazines > Ensign > September 2000

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:06AM

There is a reason why one man is born Black and with different disadvantages, while another is born White with great advantages. The reason tis that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more of\r less to the laws that were given us there.

Those who werefaithful in all things there received greater blessings, and those who were not faithful received less.

-Joseph Feilding Smith Doctrines of Salvation Vol 1 page 61
---------------------
We are moved by a higher law. They talk sometimes about a higher law in the States. Greeley is a great man
to talk about a higher law, which means, with him, stealing (N-word)s. We do not care anything about that. We
want to do something better − something higher and more noble. That is rather too low for us; consequently
they need not be afraid of our stealing their (N-word)s: we will let them have all the benefits of them as one of
the grand institutions of Christians, together with the amalgamating process as another of the institutions of
Christianity. And another grand institution they have among them is prostitution.
JD 5:158, John Taylor, August 23, 1857
--------------

There is not a man, from the President of the United States to the Editors of their sanctorums, clear down to
the low−bred letter−writers in this Territory, but would rob the coppers from a dead (N-word)'s eyes, if they had
a good opportunity. If I had the command of thunder and lightning, I would never let one of the damned
scoundrels get here alive.
JD 5:111, George Albert Smith, August 2, 1857
-------------

... [speaking of prostituton]Well, so it is; and
this (N-word)ism in the South is about the same kind of thing, only a change of colour.
JD 5:158, John Taylor, August 23, 1857
-------------

Brother Robbins also spoke of what they term the "(N-word) drivers and (N-word) worshippers," and observed how
keen their feelings are upon their favourite topic slavery. The State of New York used to be a slave State, but
there slavery has for some time been abolished.
JD 4:39, Brigham Young, August 31, 1856

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:27AM

"I remind you that no man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ," said President Hinckley. "How can any man holding the Melchizedek Priesthood arrogantly assume that he is eligible for the priesthood whereas another who lives a righteous life but whose skin is of a different color, is ineligible?"
Gordon B Hinkley (Prophet) General Conference April 2006

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 08:04AM

It is so funny to me how their views change as time goes by. No wonder I hardly believe anything they say!

Frankly, I use my common sense and brain and I love it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.