Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 12:31PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 01:54PM

Those religious classes are required and contrary to academic standards. The accreditation should be questioned and investigated.

Like many "Bible Colleges," graduates should not be considered to have received an actual education by potential employers.

BYU is damaging their reputation even further, IMO.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 02:25PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Like many "Bible Colleges," graduates should not
> be considered to have received an actual education
> by potential employers.

I sent three of my four children to Christian "Bible Colleges." I would say that the three so educated came out better prepared than the one who went to a secular one. They're all well-adjusted and well established in starting their careers and personal lives.

No college debt, either.

One once said (paraphrase), "When I'm with my (liberal) friends, they spend a lot of time griping about how their parents screwed them up or how tough it was getting their (adult/career) lives going. There's nothing I can say along those lines."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 05:07PM

>>One once said (paraphrase), "When I'm with my (liberal) friends, they spend a lot of time griping about how their parents screwed them up or how tough it was getting their (adult/career) lives going. There's nothing I can say along those lines."

I think it just depends on the family. I'm not sure that politics or religious affiliation has anything to do with it. My parents paid all of the expenses of my public university tuition, and most of my brother's (very expensive) private university tuition. My dad, who was first generation college, worked three jobs to get through school and wanted to spare my brother and me the same experience. Due to that, my family strongly discouraged us from working during school. They wanted us to focus on our studies. They did not respect families who could afford college for their children, but who refused to provide for it.

A very religious friend of mine went to Liberty University, and she seems to have gotten a decent enough education. She later got a Master's degree from a well-regarded public school graduate program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 05:08PM by summer.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 11:56AM

I feel sorry for your "secular" one. Not for the reasons you stated.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 12:17PM

Yeah. Me too.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 06:52PM

Does BYU still have a sense of being a marriage-go-round, where mormon young adult females can go to gradumate*?

*according to the Urban Dictionary, I did not invent this word:

verb: to attempt copulation with several peers weeks before graduating from an institution.
I'm trying to Gradumate with every girl I met the first day I arrived at Bard College.

But that is obviously a heathen definition. I think my use of the word to describe marriage as the purpose of going to the Y has merit. Please, if you use this, email me a nickel for each use, unless you'd like to license its use, which in perpetuity would cost you ... a nickel...but this week only.

Thank you.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 07:08PM

So now you're trying to raise nickles from unsuspecting RfMers in order to pay back the dime you stole from me?

Damn Howler Monkey!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 07:11PM

That's MISTER Brown Howler to you, Gladys pale face!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 07:14PM

Hey, don't out me--or I'll tell everyone you are really a Nepalese carpet weaver who learned Spanish from pirated Telemundo videos.

You have been warned.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 07:41PM

A Testimony is more important than a PhD in Religion at the whY.

No wonder they have a long history of Accreditation problems.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 03:08PM

The primary reason I was not invited bsck to Ricks for my sophomore year was my refusal to get up for an 8AM Old Testament class in a blizzard.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 12:10PM

It's a twofer. Education and Indoctrination. Harder to untangle than a Rubiks' cube.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.