Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 11:31AM

I remember going through a checkout line in a supermarket in January of 1981. I saw the National Enquirer, which had the headline “Top Psychics Share Their Predictions for 1981.” I couldn’t resist buying it. They asked a half dozen of the nation’s “top psychics” for a few predictions each. I kept the tabloid and checked back at the end of the year. Of course, none of the predictions came true. One interesting prediction was that President Reagan would suffer a stroke in May, and that Vice President Bush would do an outstanding job of leading the country during the President’s recovery. Well, Reagan was shot (not exactly the same thing as a stroke) in March (hey, March and May both begin with an “M”). I’m sure that some people would believe that particular psychic was on to something, but was just fuzzy on a couple of the details. I’ve certainly seen Mormon apologists give Joseph Smith at least that much latitude.

My question is: in the entire history of the world, has their ever been a real prophet (“prophet” in the sense of being able to foretell that future)?

In order for someone to be given credit for predicting the future, that individual would have to:
1) Show evidence of the prophecy or prediction being recorded and known prior to the predicted event;
2) Give predictions that are clear and precise in regards to names, places, dates, events, etc. In my opinion, everything that Nostradamus wrote was vague and ambiguous, and can be interpreted in countless different ways;
3) Be right most (if not all) of the time. Somebody throwing darts blindfolded will hit the bullseye occasionally. There’s even a term for this: “The Jeane Dixon effect” (so many followers of Jeane Dixson were so impressed with her occasional correct predictions, that they ignored the many times when she was way off the mark);
4) Not have advanced knowledge that would influence the prediction. I’m sure that people who engage in insider trading can do a great job of prophesying stock prices.

So….has there ever been a true prophet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 12:13PM

I don't use the term PROPHET the same way c.p. does, I think of it more generically as in a person who sees - understands & communicates visions of the future & best choices - alternatives...

Certainly no LDS President-Prophet!

If any doubts, read Profile of A Prophet.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2006/06/the-profile-of-a-prophet?lang=eng

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 12:28PM

I have often referred to that particular talk by Hugh B. Brown. I bet TSCC wishes it would disappear down the memory hole. Of the 16 characteristics identified by Brown, most Mormon "prophets" would score a 0 out of 16.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 02:32PM

ChurchCo re-published it not too long ago!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 12:28PM

Not really.

Prophet is mostly just a name someone gets, either by self claims or what other people want to call someone.

Being a prophet is based on:
-Speaking vaguely
-Emphasizing the hits and ignoring the misses
-Cult of personality
-Being observant and picking up cues
-Being able to fit anything that happens to utterances after the fact

Any of us here could be called a prophet if we selectively pick things to support our views and convince people we are special. It helps if you can convince people you have an inside communication with God. Sheep types looking for a leader seem to buy into the God connection and prophet mindset easily enough.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 01:01PM

The bar for being a prophet is pretty low but you don't have to be a limbo champion to get under it.

1. As the cliche goes, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." So you just need to go out on a limb and make it three and everyone will be in awe of your prophecy. (Helps to read the
Farmer's Almanac.)

2. Sheep are always looking for someone to follow. Just say you are a prophet and do it with the surety of a pathological liar and some major flair and the next thing you know, people who love to follow will be saying it for you and you can just smile knowingly and let them do the work.

Punch and cookies optional.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 01:39PM

Not a real one
Not in my lifetime

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 01:58PM

I don't know of any prophets, but I'm super impressed by your memory.

I have only vague recollections of listening to "Centerfold" by the J. Giels Band in 1981.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 03:00PM

The definition is tricky. No one can predict the future. But many of the people called prophets from the Old Testament saw themselves more as mouthpieces for God, and their job was to warn people about their behavior. It's not hard to "predict" that if you live a less than stellar life that bad things will happen to you. There's nothing supernatural about that- it's just common sense, and that's all the OT "prophets" were interested in. The flip side of their preaching was that if you did good things your life would be good. So their message was that the future is up to you and your choices so make good choices.

Just a thought.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 03:16PM

Well, there was once that guy. You know, uh... No, sorry. There's never been a prophet.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 03:57PM

There are many who have been "sustained" as such (whatever that really means ;-)

Otherwise, I'm with the general consensus: no. But there have been (and still are and subsequently will be) some very good science fiction writers who sometimes get tiny bits "right".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.