Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: annabelle ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 03:03PM

Hi All My non mormon & non religious husband and I (a former mormon) are moving to St George Washington County area for retirement.
Why? Well all my grandkids live there.
Yes my son stayed in the church and is raising his family in the faith.
All my husband requests is that the neighborhood is not too LDS. I know that will be hard as most neighborhoods have numerous chapels.
Any suggestions? LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 04:46PM

Mesquite?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 02:29PM

logged out today Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mesquite?
That is in Nevada

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 03:14PM

You have a firm grasp of the obvious. I'm well aware that Mesquite is in Nevada.

It's also just 40 miles away – close enough for frequent visits, yet far enough to maintain sanity. There are no doubt people who commute daily between the two.

There's no requirement that an "area" be confined to a single state.

----

To Villager below: I don't know of a Kayenta in Utah. Perhaps you mean the Kayenta in Arizona? If you do, I presume you're being facetious.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 02:54PM

Try Kayenta, Utah.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 04:56PM

Correct. Mormons retire to St. George and non Mormons to Mesquite.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 05:28PM

I'd suggest not moving to Southern Utah if you can help it. They're about to run out of water in 4 years and don't have a backup plan.
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/09/16/apc-water-shortages-in-us-west-likelier-than-previously-thought/#.YEak3p2QHOg

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 05:36PM

Cedar City.

I have a couple never-Mo friends from the Midwest who retired there, and love it.

As for water, if it does run low, it is farmers who will lose it first, and they use a lot of water. Cities will be the last to lose it. Too many voters in cities.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 05:42PM

Except that the pattern is the West is one of farmer dominance. In many places the residential price of water is 200X what farmers pay.

The beaches are strewn with the bodies of people who underestimated the political power of agriculture.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 06:39PM

Water rights in Utah are based on seniority. Whoever got the rights first gets priority. If there isn't enough water to go around, the most junior user gets shut out first. Since the farmers were there before all of the new residential development, they will have more senior rights and will get water first.

Somewhat perversely, if a user does not use all of their water they can lose the right to it. That means that if there is a drought, Farmer Bob is incentivized to continue to grow his alfalfa even if the city slickers don't have water.

Since the St. George area is marginal for agriculture, at some point it is likely that the city will eventually be willing to pay the farmers enough to buy out their water rights.The farmers will be able to comfortably retire, and the city will have more water. And the residents will pay significantly higher water rates.

Date: March 08, 2021 06:53PM

The laws on water rights vary from state to state, but the dominance of agriculture is enshrined in one legal edifice or another throughout the US West. More generally, farmers have disproportionate power over electoral systems all over the US--talking to you, Sugar subsidies and ethanol laws--and in Japan, the EU, and other rich countries.

It's an enormous economic distortion, one that prevents water from being allocated to its most rational purposes at great cost to consumers.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 07:15PM

ALL the laws in Utah are biased towards Mormonism & it's "values" (choke!)

I've got a gf who owns a house on the aves & we might be headed towards being partners / a couple, I hope we find a way to spend time here (Western WA) too if we pair up....

Date: March 08, 2021 07:24PM

St. George is covered in golf courses. And Vegas relies on Lake Powell, in UT, so St. George is fighting to get a pipeline btw them and Lake Powell. Good luck fighting over scarce resources.
They should all move to where there is plenty of fresh water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 07:29PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: March 08, 2021 07:39PM

Is St. George gov't being honest about water availability in tje future?

They should charge new residents development fees / surcharges so long time residents aren't paying for needed additional infrastructure, schools, roads, police & fire protection.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 07:47PM

Utah is one of the few places that don't charge developer impact fees.
That's because most Utah politicians are in the real estate, development and construction businesses. It's their cash cow and they will protect it at all costs. Besides, we're in the latter days. We don't need to conserve water or anything else.

Date: March 08, 2021 07:57PM

That explains a lot about UT.
Except that the PRofit said we ain’t close to the end, so keep on stashing money into your 401 Ks

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 09:09AM

They say the end is near when it suits them and then say the end is far off when that benefits them. Always keep your marks off balance. It's like Schroedinger's Cat...

Date: March 13, 2021 08:17PM

Farmers usually don't have 'city water', they most often have their own wells if not on irrigation for their crops.

(irrigation sourced water isn't suitable for drinking / cooking, is it?)

Date: March 13, 2021 08:35PM

Almost all residential water is filtered somewhere along the line, and water from the Colorado or other rivers can easily be transformed into drinking water. This really is a case of a favored political lobby distorting the entire industry to the disadvantage of consumers.

Here's an article on the situation in CA that I just found.

------------
"2. Farms and cities mostly get their water from the same place.

The federal government and the state both operate a system of reservoirs, aqueducts and canals that capture rain and snow melt and sell that water to farms and towns.

The federal Central Valley Project's primary source is Lake Shasta (actually a dammed reservoir), and it mostly provides water to farms in the San Joaquin Valley. The California-run State Water Project draws most of its water from Lake Oroville (also a reservoir) and ships most of it to farms and cities in southern part of the state."

https://www.scpr.org/news/2015/04/15/50941/10-things-to-know-about-california-water-use/

Date: March 08, 2021 08:07PM

If you take religion out of it and look at it from a retirement financial point of view, Mesquite is a smarter option. By far. Nevada doesn't have State income taxes. Plus, Utah is one of 13 states that tax Social Security. Plus getting away from mormons will make you spend less on headache pills and blood pressure medication.

Date: March 08, 2021 08:24PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you take religion out of it and look at it from
> a retirement financial point of view, Mesquite is
> a smarter option. By far. Nevada doesn't have
> State income taxes. Plus, Utah is one of 13 states
> that tax Social Security. Plus getting away from
> mormons will make you spend less on headache pills
> and blood pressure medication.

Taxing social security payments ought to by made ILLEGAL EVERYWHERE! the income, part of which went to your SS funds, has already been subject to taxes, at least Federal.

Is there a set-aside for part of your SS income (say, first $ 20,000 a year) isn't subject to Utah taxes?

I'm all for a balanced tax system, but taxing $ that's already been taxed should be A BIG NO-NO!

Date: March 08, 2021 08:40PM

Also, Utah is the only State in the nation that taxes both Soc Sec AND unemployment benefits. It's forced tithing by Utah government.

Date: March 13, 2021 08:18PM

That's robbery.

OTOH (?) all taxes come from the residents, which pocket they come out of is the painful part.

Living in a state with no income taxes, I know whereof I speak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2021 08:38PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 10:15PM

I'm pretty sure that is not even close to true. Thirteen states tax Social Security benefits. Most states, and the federal government, tax unemployment benefits. There was a special exemption in the bill just passed a couple days ago to not tax the first $10K and change of unemployment benefits received in 2020. They are normally taxed. Yeah, that kind of sucks.

BTW, SS was federally untaxed until Ron Reagan and his party made them taxable, though if you are low enough income (convoluted formula, but very roughly other income less than $15k to $18k) SS is still not taxed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2021 10:19PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 12:00AM

which city, Mesquite or St. George, treats/takes better care of their Native American residents?

Back in the old days, before I-15 went through the canyon, getting from Vegas to St. George involved going around to the West of the canyon, through a, I believe, Shoshone Reservation.

When we've played golf in the two cities, obviously we stayed in Mesquite because of gambling. I noticed Native Americans pretty much everywhere in Mesquite and none in St. George.

This just occurred to me and I'm just curious.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 12:28AM

Thank you for your service.

I feel indebted.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 06:17AM

omigosh
And I was goint to move to Dixie downs

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 11:23PM

I vote for Ivins, Snow canyon is beautiful and they are right close to tuacahn, The most attractive southwestern gated communities seem to mostly be located in that part of town.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.