Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 12:18PM

From those temples the saints sacrificed money and time etc. They are of historical value even if just seen by a few. Art work is great. Both temples had the old original style of endowment, going from room to room. They could have done what they did in cardston temple. They went to film and move from room to room. They could have done that with these two temples. Now all temples are the same. So everyone has the same experience. What great insight and wisdom.
I understand taking out the cafeteria. Saints now have to eat at the church mall. Shifting money to make more money by having Saints wander the mall and pay the stores that pay the Church. Sure would like to hear the talk at church tomorrow in SLC. I bet the older saints are furious.
Dusty Rusty sure wants to leave his Mark. Nothing is sacred to this guy. Nothing. He had to approve these changes.how low can he go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 12:29PM

? Need for a Living Profit!!

Can RMN file for unemployment if there aren't any new revelations to reveal? Would he receive severance pay? Would Wendi leave him or take over??

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 12:44PM

This may be why the shift is taking place!

You know!

From "Living Prophet" to Ğᶩöþᵃł Ḟåĭŧĥ ĻⱻѾďęř  

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 10:16PM

Wow, EOD, have you been taking lessons from ziller?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 10:38PM

...that's always been my dream!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 12:59PM

Probably because the low temple usage doesn’t justify the health code compliance costs of a cafeteria. What do you care what Rusty does with his secret clubhouse?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 01:20PM

I hate seeing that kind of art destroyed and it does have historical value as far as I'm concerned. They should not have done it. But . . .

Dusty Rusty is hell bent to go Generic as fast as he can. Art is offensive. Everything must be white. White I tell you! And he doesn't have much time left (Lord Wendy revealed that to him on his night stand) and he's got to get all the personality out of the church quickly so it can be so boring that even Oaks and Bednar will feel right at home.

They are only emulating their Omniboring God.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 09:44AM

“The omniboring God.” How perfect. Boring boring boring. Boring and generic because they can no longer whitewash the history and doctrine as easily, so they just whitewash the entire institution. Rusty is just continuing with what was really put into motion under Wrinkley Hinckley, followed by Monsoon. If it’s fun or cultural, it has to go. Activities for fellowship, youth conferences, dances, drama, cooking, sports, unique church architecture, art and unique temples, RS lessons on culture refinement, bazaars, ward campouts, missionary P-day sightseeing outings, scouting, actual focus on camping/hiking at girls camp, you name it... if it isn’t boring, it isn’t worthy of tithing dollars that could be in the rainy day billions account. They even had an apostle who made the mistake of infusing a little non-boring personality into the leadership (Uchdorf). They corrected that. He’s still there but you hear so little from him. You know he had to have been told to bore it down. Can’t overshadow the other zombie-like fourteen.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 01:35PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 01:31PM

the mormon profit ~

changed mormon temple art work ~

exmos are out raged ~

Date: March 13, 2021 01:53PM

Ironic. Of all the people who really shouldn't care . . .

Date: March 13, 2021 02:06PM

SOME of us do care about those moments / experiences in our lives that we remember...

The murals represent LOTS of time, energy, imagination that went into them;
(me): This is a robbery of those experiences.

Date: March 13, 2021 02:21PM

Oh. I agree. I treasure having had the endowment in the SLC temple. Great experience to have under your belt. The irony is that ex-mormons like us care so much. Plus my life is art, my career.

In a perfect world someday in the future the SLC temple would be in shambles and I could just walk in and find the old murals in tact for anyone to see. I also wouldn't mind turning the baptismal font into a jacuzzi. :)

Around the world many important murals are painstakingly moved rather than destroyed when it becomes necessary. All it takes is money and Rusty has plenty of that at his disposal.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 06:18PM

If you’ll smash your parents liquor collection, you’ll paint over murals. But now the walls are white and delightsome.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 02:18PM

It is part of the falling apart-disintegration scenario

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 03:17PM

Old Rusty wants everything to be pure, white but doesn't care about delightsome.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 03:31PM

It's interesting, but the RfM right-wingers aren't complaining about this instance of "cancel culture." Societies can legitimately cancel the histories of left-wing figures like Stalin and Mao, of African Americans and Native Americans, of the LDS church, but we must preserve the statues and monuments to the Confederacy and Jim Crow. I'm not sure I see much consistency in those facts.

I have never seen the murals and am saddened to think they are going away. I would greatly prefer that they be moved to a museum where people like us could go see them--just as, I suggest, should happen to the Confederate memorabilia. People and churches move on, but it would be good if their greater achievements be retained.

Posted by: Rusty Nailed ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 05:14PM

I think it's a crass act of cultural vandalism. Minerva Teichert is a notable LDS artist. You are right to link this to cancel culture, it is a form of amnesia. A sad day for SLC and Manti's cultural heritage.

Date: March 13, 2021 05:27PM

I just ask for consistency. "Canceling" Mormon history is no different from cancelling African American or Native American history in favor of the Jim Crow mythology. They are all profound distortions of reality.

If society moves on from a certain understanding of history, it can remove offensive monuments from public squares or church edifices. But the distortions are history too, and they should have their place in museums and books.

One cannot understand Eastern Europe without the props of Stalinism; or Nazism without Nazi symbolism, so both should be preserved as much as possible. But that does not require the subjugated peoples of Eastern Europe to keep Stalin's or Hitler's imagery present in official buildings and public squares. Nor does fidelity to history require treating Jim Crow mythology as sacrosanct, for it is anything but.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 04:06PM

Remember what assume means. Just because some of us haven't posted doesn't mean we think it isn't a travesty, but what is new when it comes to mormon leaders and RUSTY. I have no doubt many mormons are upset about this including my daughter.

I thought they were going to do restoration of the old murals, at least htat is what I thought I heard when they started this. If nothing else, these old temples are unique structures in more ways than the murals.

I find it ridiculous that they sell the old chapels. There are several in Logan that have been sold. They are wiping out the wrong part of their history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2021 04:07PM by cl2.

Date: March 13, 2021 04:21PM

No assumption at all, cl2.

What I wrote was "the RfM right-wingers aren't complaining about this instance of 'cancel culture.'" That was a statement of fact, which you'll see if you review the posts in the thread before mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2021 04:43PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Rusty Nailed ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 05:17PM

Posted by: Anono ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 07:21PM

So do I.

Posted by: Anono ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 07:23PM

So do I.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 07:48PM

I think it's appalling. They could have kept the murals for historical reasons. The murals were not hurting anyone nor were they impeding changes to the program. To me, the murals were by far the most interesting thing about these buildings. They were a part of Mormon culture and history.

It's proof yet again that the church is run by money-hungry fools.

Date: March 13, 2021 08:00PM

I suspect the dinosaurs were the problem. It's difficult to imagine anything more anachronistic than Sauropods in the Garden of Eden.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 07:51PM

On facebook I saw a petition to "not destroy" the manti temple.

Date: March 13, 2021 08:04PM

the Context here is that the LDS Sheeple rarely raise questions / let alone doubt what leaders mandate.

When someone commands a certain choice/ action, a bit of resentment is soup de jour.

LDS leaders don't give a flying f**k about the rank & file, there's your #1 problem.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 11:52PM

I served a mission in Texas. Most meetinghouses were the modern cookie cutter style of the 1980s because growth had justified the church building the newer designs.

There was one chapel that looked different. It had been erected during the halcyon times when church members actually ponied up a good chunk of money to build it themselves. Inside it had a many tones of earth with its unique walls of river rocks and eastern Texas pine. As a missionary, I had met several of the "pioneer" families who had made several 5 hour drives in their personal vehicles to select and carry the rocks back to the chapel. Lumber had also been picked up and most members put a lot of their time building the chapel.

As missionaries, the unique walls were well documented as the obligatory convert baptism pictures were taken in front of the walls. Imagine the shock when I returned to the same chapel to finish the final months of my mission and all those unique and beautiful rocks had been crudely painted with a course brush. All the distinguished rocks were now white. Yuck!

At least one family was greatly affected about the new whitewashed stone work. I ended up going out on missionary splits with a high councilor. Since my mission had goals of reactivating the less actives, this was not an extraordinary assignment.

Long story short: The family was terribly hurt about the painting of the rocks. The high councilor did NOT whip out his scriptures and tell these members to get their butts back in the pews. Instead he agreed with me when I boldly stated the church shouldn't have wiped out local church history.

I later asked the high councilor if the building had suffered a break in and had been vandalized. He said No, but relayed that a visiting representative had previously observed that church's standard of interior decorum was not in "harmony." Without any notice, a painting crew was hired to paint the offensive stonework. Later another crew came and painted the stained wood work a blotchy dark paint. It looked hideous and offended many.

Date: March 14, 2021 12:02AM

And that is an apt metaphor for the sterilization that occurred throughout the church after McKay’s descent into dementia.

Date: March 15, 2021 03:16PM

I was also briefly involved with a member-built chapel, Duluth, MN.

I recall that instead of purchasing the lumber locally, members had to go to a railway 'team track' to unload lumber from a boxcar & shlep it to the building site.

I always wondered which GAs and/or COB types got their pockets lined in that & other similar deals...

Date: March 15, 2021 03:19PM

Russ plainly needs a LIFE with better things to do;

- go back to surgery if he's still able

- follow Jimmy Carter & pound nails on a Habitat House

- serve food in a soup kitchen

- be a mentor for disadvantaged children / students

- be the monitor at a shelter for a few weeks

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 09:12AM

Are you really surprised by this? Look at what the Mormons did to Downtown Salt Lake City.

TSCC lied about the destruction of the Provo tabernacle. TSCC bull-dozed the Coalville Tabernacle to the ground in the dead of night, while a lawsuit was pending with the city to save it.

AS I said before, "Follow the money". The Mormon CEO's do not want to pay out money for restorations. It's far cheaper to just destroy and re-build. The Mormon builders are ready and waiting. Someone ought to estimate how much it would cost to hire professional artists to restore those murals, and how long it would take. There's your answer.

Date: March 15, 2021 10:19AM

Whether chopping off a head or razing a building or just shocking shit out of some gays, if it's God who said to do it, what can you do? Such a handy one-size-fits-all excuse, this God.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 10:04AM

Very sad for art / history lovers but since many of us are no longer or never were members we'd never get to actually see the interiors in person anyway

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 10:39AM

It's too bad they are going to destroy the murals because the dinosaurs in them are what made the murals unique and interesting.
Of course, anything unique and interesting is frowned on by TSCC.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 03:49PM

Mormons value music!! The Tabernacle Choir!!, after all. But then they down-graded music so much that,today, a large portion of the church is seemingly unfamiliar with a lot of the hymns. Mormons value history!! Yet they hide or even destroy history when it doesn't share the right message, i.e., that the church is true no matter what happens.

I was always saying that, if any historical building were deemed more valuable as a parking lot, the church go with the parking lot. This was more or less proven when the church, ostensibly at the behest of Boyd K. Packer, decided to pull down the Coalville tabernacle. People believed that Packer just didn't want their tabernacle to compete with Packer's beloved Brigham City tabernacle, an exact duplicate. Whatever the case, the church decided to pull it down, and people intervened, pointing out that the tabernacle was protected as a state historical monument. And the church members in Coalville were horrified that their beloved tabernacle was being destroyed for no apparent reason. While negotiations over the tabernacle's future were taking place, the church sent in contractors in the middle of the night to reduce the building to rubble, protected monument or not. Yeah, "We love history" doesn't pass muster anymore. (Of course, the state IS the church, so the church can apparently decide what should be protected, and what should not.

I have no idea why Rusty wants the historical and beautiful murals painted over, but that's apparently what they want to do at his behest. I no longer believe in the temple at all, and otherwise wouldn't care. But to do away with Manti's murals by Minerva Teichert is an especially grave action. Does it somehow boost earnings? That would normally be my claim, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 02:29AM

I think Rusty has plans to change the endowment ceremony so much that he doesn’t want the old murals on the walls. He wants neutral temples to show updated movies in.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 03:58PM

but you all must understand, like it or not, he is in command and can do what he damn well pleases.
Societies ebb and flow do to circumstances like this

Date: March 15, 2021 04:12PM

agree.

Does Russ know that he's more Destroying than changing / creating?

I.Doubt.It.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.