Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 09:32AM

Time to time, when something even stupid by TBM standards comes up, it seems like I'm getting a warning.

"I know you might not believe..."

"It's not found in the press..." (Referencing a TBM's organic foods cure for cancer, which sadly didn't work.)

Or this one...

"We believe..." with "we" being Mormons and the TBM worried that you might easy refute what "we believe."

Am I the only one warned that we're about to enter the land of make believe?

If not, what other defensive statements have you gotten?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 10:33AM

It's both disturbing and annoying how many stupid things people try to push on you, and most of the people I had to deal with for my mother's cancer weren't Mormons. And yes, they'd usually start with hedges like "You might not believe this".

Everything from apple cider vinegar to custard apples to all-natural diets to salt water gargles to light therapy to praying to Saint Fill-in-the-Blank to getting rid of random items and so on....

Being simply told that these things don't work isn't enough, because they always come back with "have you tried it?"

"No, I haven't tried it, because I'm not willing to use my mother as a human guinea pig, and I'm not stupid."

If people aren't convinced of the general stupidity of humanity, it might be that they're on the stupid side themselves. Sadly, it's probably true too even if they are convinced.

Tyson

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.