Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 09:02AM

dogblogger: I am currently of the opinion that the P/NP and Gödel incompleteness preclude our developing a TOE/GUT.

Muon g2 will break most every theory currently operating.

And new computational tools are likely necessary generally.

But we live in times of speedy development.

Salvati: Well, as I understand it, both are problems associated with the limits of computation. This seems to suggest that you think that a viable GUT/TOE (as currently exist) are sufficiently computationally complex to run into these types of problems; and/or that they could not be confirmed by either an sufficient (and efficient) computer model or experiment(s).

> Muon g2 will break most every theory currently
> operating.

I assume you are suggesting that the current Fermilab g-2 testing will eventually undermine the Standard Model such that it will no longer accommodate (will break) such theories. Is that right?

> And new computational tools are likely necessary
> generally.

Well, that seems unlikely given your comments above. In principle, what computational tools are you suggesting?

> But we live in times of speedy development.

Well, Gödel's theorem has been around a long time; as has AI. It seems that as time goes by these problems become more entrenched, not less.

Finally, I have always thought that GUTs are theoretical constructs, that are removed from computational issues. After all, confirmation of such theories is difficult (if not impossible) in principle by their nature (e.g. confirming multiple dimensions and universes in nature); computational issues (e.g. solving their complex equations) notwithstanding.

P.S. Is my understanding of your above points correct? I am not a mathematician or a computer scientist, and I have not thought about these connections (TOE/computation issues) before. Moreover, I readily admit I am over my head here; but thought I would seek clarification.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 05:16AM

Nassim Haramein must be waiting for the muon G2 results with baited breath. His TOE pictures every proton as a “black whole” connected to every other proton in the Universe.

I’d be interested to know if Garrett Lisi’s E8 theory predicts unusual muon properties.

The problem with the anomaly is that it’s not big enough to rule out chance. Three sigma sounds impressive, but three sigma results in physics have sometimes been flukes. Imaginations run wild with speculation until a mundane explanation is found. Like strange communication signals from alien civilizations turning out to have been caused by employees shutting off the lunch room microwave by opening the door instead of hitting the “off” button.

On a more serious note, a hole in the standard model would make a new space for “the God of the gaps”. All of this excitement could be a yearning for meaning. Although scientists are supposed to be objective, many are like the Fox Mulder character in the X-files. They “want to believe”. The current excitement is reminiscent of the search for the “God particle”.

What if you could prove God? Suppose you’re right and the muon anomaly is real. Maybe it opens an entirely new frontier of Physics due to new forms of computation being developed since necessity is the mother of invention. Suppose we find God in the new physics. That knowledge would sweep the Earth like a flood. Would that be considered the second coming of Christ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2021 05:17AM by bradley.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 06:46AM

If you can "find" ghawd and define "him", how could that be anybody's ghawd?

I'm okay with fusion being ghawd and fission being the devil. Although the H-bomb muddies the water...

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 17, 2021 08:16AM

A brief article for those who want to get their muon on:

https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/first-results-from-fermilabs-muon-g-2-experiment-strengthen-evidence-of-new-physics

Snippet:

“The long-awaited first results from the Muon g-2 experiment at the US Department of Energy’s Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory show fundamental particles called muons behaving in a way that is not predicted by scientists’ best theory, the Standard Model of particle physics. This landmark result, made with unprecedented precision, confirms a discrepancy that has been gnawing at researchers for decades.

“The strong evidence that muons deviate from the Standard Model calculation might hint at exciting new physics. Muons act as a window into the subatomic world and could be interacting with yet undiscovered particles or forces.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.