Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 01:07PM

Gloria Gaynor's song "I Will Survive" plays on the radio.

Mormon: "I don't really like this song."

Homophobia?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 01:20PM

No.

I certainly don’t know this particular Mormon. Being a Mormon certainly increases the likelihood that he/she is homophobic, but disliking this (or any) song, in itself, proves nothing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 01:22PM

ha! Mormons claim 'we're all children of common parents' but when it comes due to put words into action(s), well....

U know how they (don't) do that!!!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 02:35PM

The song is about betrayal and getting stronger from the betrayal. Most anyone can relate to the lyrics, even find a bit of grit from them. I never liked it much and then got really sick of it when lot's of people would say, "I'm a survivor" to make themselves sound special.

To see homophobia in this song is a verification of what Mark Twain said, "To someone with a hammer everything looks like a nail."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 02:37PM

Agreed. It's just not a very good song so there are plenty of reasons to dislike it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 03:23PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> To see homophobia in this song is a verification
> of what Mark Twain said, "To someone with a hammer
> everything looks like a nail."

What's the complete saying that starts, "To someone who is a nail, ... "

Date: April 24, 2021 03:35PM

Oh you! Hahahaha..

Seems like everything works both ways!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 02:36PM

It might of course have been a guy (mormon or otherwise) whose former girlfriend did this to him in similar circumstance... You go girl ;-)

Posted by: Just Saying ( )
Date: April 24, 2021 02:53PM

According to Merriam-Webster, homophobia is defined as:

"irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or gay people."

This is a broad brush, leaving little room for people who might just have religious or even biological *beliefs* that are related to a reluctance to accept homosexuality as a normal alternative lifestyle.

In principle, I suppose it is possible to have such beliefs without associated "fear, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality" but in reality it seems that such emotions go hand in hand with one's beliefs. As such, I think that the broad definition is quite intentional. The gay community, and its supporters, do not want to leave any logical space for opposing homosexuality in the absence of fear, aversion, or discrimination. That way, any discussion of homosexuality as a lifestyle--pro or con--is subsumed by a connotation that there is no rational ground to object to it, under any circumstances and in any context.

This explains why Richard Dawkins' was ejected from the AHA.

Date: April 24, 2021 03:51PM

The point you make applies to a broad range of phobias and bigotries. Your point is why I have such issues with wording that groups everyone with one common characteristic into a category that makes them all the same by virtue of that one characteristic when most of them are nothing like each other.

When someone treats me poorly or unfairly I like to first assume that they are jealous of my brilliance :) and it has nothing to do with me being gay. I don't consider myself part of the gay community or any community. Contributes too much to an "us-vs-them" mentality that pervades this country. Of course when they use the "F" word or some other slur that changes the game. My favorite were the housepainters calling us "mariposas" having no idea my Spanish was better than theirs. Thank you mission.

Still unsure what "logical space for opposing homosexuality" might be, but I'm sure it would come down to the definition of the word "logical" in the end. Cuz one man's logic is another man's . . . personal agenda?

One reason I like working with a very diverse group of people ethnically and age-wise is that we see each other as individuals.

Of course grouping yourself together because you have one common cause can be powerful. NRA for instance . . . just saying.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 11:59AM

I think most Mormon "phobias" can be grouped under a an aversion of things that are different.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.