Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cindysue ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 12:36AM

of all the money the cult has i was wondering how much of that was given (taken) from little kids that were taught to give their few pennies. does anyone else remember stories about little kids wanting to give even a few pennies to pay their tithing.

i know my grown son still reminds me of how he was robbed of his hard earned money he earned cutting grass when he was 10.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 01:53AM

Oh hell yeah. The church doesn't even try to hide it. It's taught in the official church rags:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/liahona/2001/12/teaching-our-children-to-pay-tithing?lang=eng

In Primary lesson manuals:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/primary-2/lesson-33?lang=eng

And bragging about how it takes literal pennies (rather than simply accept the spirit of sacrifice behind it):

https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/2002-08-03/buckets-of-pennies-107090

Disgusting money-grubbing cult.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 10:38AM

I had an aunt that would gift us $11.11.

That way we'd have the dollar tithing for the ten bucks. The dime tithing for the dollar and the penny for thr tithing on the dime.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 10:41AM

Even worse was the three compartment banks.

One slot in the bank was for tithing.

The next was for your mission.

The third was for your personal spending.

It saddens me to this day when I look at all the tithing plus all the money spent on missions by my family members.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 08:39PM

Before - or after - laundering, "investments", losses, expenditures, swindling... hundreds of millions of dollars... Amounting to BILLIONS of BULLIONS today.

It's not just the MONEY, but the collective TIME, and the LIES, and COVERUPS, OBFUSCATIONS, MISAPPROPRIATIONS, MISDEEDS, MISGUIADANCE, (needless) GUILT, SHAME, and WASTE...

To steal these children's (OURS) attention.

It's to groom them
To keep them "dependent"
On 'giving', or, being
Taken From

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 20, 2021 03:28AM

It's all a drop in the bucket for LDS Inc.

If the church takes in more money than "budgeted" for, I believe they put that money into another account which is invested. Since that investment account is called something else it magically is no longer tithing because that account is called something else. Some people call that money laundering but the faithful call that "business interest." Because it is no longer called "tithing" they can justify its use on less Christlike investments or expenditures. Its awesome and amazing! The church is so smart! And good stewards of the money they take in because they don't spend it! It just keeps growing and growing for business Jesus when he returns because he can't be in charge of the world without lots of moolah!

Don't worry though! Every cent your son paid in tithing is has been carefully recorded and spent or invested by the church (the 1st Presidency & the Presiding Bishopric) as they desire it to be spent or invested.

Posted by: Cindysue ( )
Date: April 20, 2021 03:48AM

he wants to know if he will be getting a dividends check?????

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 23, 2021 11:51AM

I hate to think of how much my parents titled. Mid 6 figure money I'm sure. I never thought the cult was entitled to one red cent of my earnings.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 23, 2021 12:44PM

I didn't hand them a cent

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 23, 2021 12:21PM

When we were TBM’s, we were at tithing settlement this one year, and the wife of the bishop’s 2nd counselor was there, sitting on the floor, on a little blanket with their children, the youngest being pre school age, and they were counting out their pennies and nickels for tithing. It was almost like a show for everyone there to see how righteous, humble, and obedient they were.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 06:06AM

That's just grotesque if not necessarily surprising

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 02:54PM

It makes the children (feel) dependent on TSCC (though it is the other way around).

It's saying "You can buy your way into heaven".

It's laying a trap.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.