Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 03:24PM

Allegations about John Dehlin:

https://notepin.co/shared/tvamhwp

I know absolutely nothing about Mr. Dehlin nor about 'mormon stories'; I've never listened to a single episode. This is no doubt because I've been a non-believer 5.5 times the number of years I was a believer.

I've never trusted leaders... I certainly would never advocate trusting me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 03:45PM

I don't even trust Jesus after my experience in religion and that is saying something cause Jesus may be a legit individual. Maybe.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 04:04PM

the article suggests if not outright says that the writer knows the inner plans, goals, & motivations of JD;

I find that claimed insight as troublesome in most / nearly all cases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 04:04PM by GNPE.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 04:07PM

Do feel that way about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young?

Posted by: Adam the Warrior ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 04:06PM

From what I read in that link it does look like classic narcissist behavior. I have been a victim of narcissists in religion and it is no joke.

Date: April 25, 2021 04:54PM

I shouldn't say victim anymore I am a survivor.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 04:41PM

I wouldn't believe any of that story without significant evidence.

If a person sets up a non-profit corporation correctly, they will never lose control of it. If that is what John did, it isn't even news. He has the right as long as he abides by the laws of the state and the charter of the corporation.

To claim to know John's motives only causes the reader to be even more skeptical of all claims made in the story.

Any "grooming" behaviors between two equals who are adults isn't called "grooming", it's called "pursuit". It's not our position to know the state of John's marriage nor to judge him for the relationships that he persues or maybe even didn't pursue at all in this case.

The story appears to be a hit piece.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 04:47PM

I am friends with John and have spoken to him numerous times over the years, before he was ex’s and since he was X’d.
He’s a good man with good intentions. I know that. His sex life is his sex life. These he said she said situations are a tough call. I’ve seen it to both ways and I have had MORmON friends who have had false accusations leveled at them.
I’ve also seen sexual predators get off scott free because they were Mormon.
I’ve also seen ExMos slandered by the cult and cult members.
It happens more often than not, when abusers get accused of abuse they accuse the accuser of abuse.
It sucks no matter what the outcome.
Not good for anybody.

Date: April 25, 2021 04:57PM

the abused gets called or sorts of names which makes it very hard to talk and come forward against the real perpetrators.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 05:34PM

Adam the Warrior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the abused gets called or sorts of names which
> makes it very hard to talk and come forward
> against the real perpetrators.
Oh I know! I have seen both happen.
I am deeply suspicious of anything Kwaku has to say.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 05:12PM

I have never met any of the parties and know nothing of what went on. That said, I usually look to see if the evidence supports the allegations--and in this case you could drive a truck through the holes.

First, the author is anonymous, which does not inspire confidence.

Second, the author says all the evidence is there if one is wise enough to know where to look. Right.

Third, we are told that sexual harassment is not illegal if it occurs in small non-profit organizations. That seems highly unlikely.

Fourth, we are told that the sexual harassment did not meet the legal definition of sexual harassment. That seems a major problem for the accuser.

Fifth, the author cites two other instances in which Dehlin had conflicts with women as proof that the sexual allegations were likely correct. But said author acknowledges that neither of those cases involved sexual impropriety--meaning they aren't relevant.

Sixth, there is this passage: "John is terrified of becoming irrelevant. He's more terrified of that than he is of being exposed as having had an affair and being an abuser." That sounds like John left himself open to the sexual allegations but those allegations went nowhere.

Seventh, the accuser withdrew the law suit against Dehlin.

My conclusion from all of this is that Dehlin may be guilty of some sort of misbehavior but that this anonymous article by someone who claims to know Dehlin's inner thoughts but refuses to provide any underlying facts doesn't really support that contention.

The article is useless.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 03:44PM

Having your own bubble goes a long way.

Date: April 25, 2021 05:22PM

I am on the board of a non-profit. Officers, employees, and volunteers are all subject to, and benefit from OSHA regulations. Those regulations include protections from any kind of harassment. If there were to be evidence against Dehlin for harassment, no one exercised their legal rights to go after him. My guess is that it probably didn't happen.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 10:57PM

Date: April 26, 2021 01:37AM

Hedning Wrote: (Hedning's Subject Line is Incorrect)
> n/t

The OSHA General Duty Clause requires that employers provide their workers with a work environment that is free of known hazards. The link below covers harassment.

https://ehsdailyadvisor.blr.com/2012/06/sexual-harassment-and-osha-is-sexual-harassment-a-recognized-hazard/

https://www.osha.com/store/workplace-harassment-training.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 01:47AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 01:43AM

OSHA and osha.com are entirely different things. The latter is a company that sells all sorts of training programs, including those having nothing to do with OSHA.

--------------
Your other article is likewise an advertisement for a training company. Thus the statement "workplace safety and health laws administered by the OSHA are limited in their authority and reach concerning workplace harassment. . . About 12,000 workers file sexual harassment charges under Title VII, the federal anti-bias law with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) each year. The allegations in many of these cases include verbal threats, confinement, and physical assault, which also qualify as workplace violence."

It is confinement, physical assault, and verbal threats of any kind that fall under the OSHA rubric.

-------------
The bottom line is that OSHA does not offer any standard for sexual harassment. Those cases generally fall under other statutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 01:51AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: April 26, 2021 01:52AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> OSHA and osha.com are entirely different things.
> The latter is a company that sells all sorts of
> training programs, including those having nothing
> to do with OSHA.

The General Duty Clause and the requirements for any workplace to mitigate these forms of hostile workplace environments are a matter of federal statute, no matter who quotes them. Google it. The articles I linked to previously give examples of sexual harassment in-specific. Generally, the Quid-Pro-Quo are the most commonly to lead to fines. But a member of the board causing a volunteer to feel intimidated while the volunteer is receiving sexual advances in the process is also a good example. In the US, everything in a workplace falls under OSHA jurisdiction. And that includes non-profits. There are other acts that may be used also, if you meet certain criteria.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_duty_clause

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 02:06AM by azsteve.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 05:41PM

What happens between 'truly' consenting and mature adults is only my business when it's close family and / or co-workers that I'm affected by.

In an ideal world (there Aren't any!) Polygamy, polyandry, polygyny might be allowed or acceptable IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 05:41PM by GNPE.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 11:25PM

So on youtube I put in "kwaku lds" and watched a few of kwaku's videos. I have listened to many of John Dehlin's Mormon Stories podcasts. In my opinion, John's research is more accurate than Kwaku's.
By Anonymous?
John Dehlin and Kwaku both have their name and face for everyone to watch. By Anonymous who is he/she? Seams like a troll to stir up some drama.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.