Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 12:21AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The (Anonymous) Fiend ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 12:48AM

Okay, post crap on me. I know I deserve it, but I couldn't resist!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 25, 2021 01:18AM

The (Anonymous) Fiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, post crap on me. I know I deserve it, but I
> couldn't resist!

???

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 12:28AM

...which is hardly a required job skill with a locomotive.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 08:14PM

I've flown on a number of planes with female captains..all good.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 08:24PM

My kid is on scholarship to get her aerospace degree. She's a certified pilot with instrument certs. She's working on her multi engine license. She'll be a Delta pilot. I'd fly anywhere with her.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 27, 2021 10:43AM

Excellent!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 27, 2021 02:53PM

Good for her. Some of the best people I have shared the flight deck with are women. Just make sure she is prepared for a lot of sexism in the industry. Not excusing it at all, but all of my female pilot friends say it is rampant, and can be very difficult to deal with. I don't tolerate it in my flight deck, and as the captain, I get to set the tone. But there are a lot of jerks out there. Still, that being said, more female aviators is a good thing, and I wish her all the best.

Date: April 27, 2021 03:14PM

She knows. She's a tough kid. Plays college VB. My wife is a flight attendant and doesn't take crap from anyone, including me. She has 52 kids in her flight classes. Only 4 girls, she out flies them all especially the guys. Her flying instructors are impressed. But, she's been driving stuff since I built her a Go-Kart when she was 3. Can drive a stick shift (most of her high school and college friends can't) She's driven boats and wave runners at 12. She can drive a dirt bike, skid steer and a mini ex. Been to high performance driving school at Miller Motorsports Park, twice, and Skip Barber racing once. Couldn't be prouder. Like Mr. T,I pity the fool that messes with her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 03:16PM by stillanon.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 27, 2021 03:37PM

She sounds like a wonderful woman in all ways. I'm glad there are men in the industry like alsd, who can work as allies for such uppity women.

Such people produce progress in the workplace and the world. They give me hope.

Date: April 27, 2021 05:29PM

Thanks. She grew up not thinking it's a man's world. We lived near NASA in Houston and she knows astronauts and brilliant engineers, both male and female. To get to the top of that food chain, you have to be good. No one cares if you're male, female, brown, white black or green. Jewish, atheist, catholic, etc. Just be the best at your job. She doesn't give anyone crap unless they do first. There are a lot of guys in professions that give women their credit. Unfortunately, the small minded men that make stupid remarks get the headlines. I challenge any guy to stand across the volleyball net from her or her teammates and not walk away without "Wilson" smacked into their forehead. Truly scary.

Date: April 27, 2021 05:34PM

I'd love to know where she plays but recognize you wouldn't want to explain that on a public board.

Sports are great: they produce tough women. And the world, and confident men, need more tough women.

Date: April 27, 2021 06:29PM

Yeah, I appreciate your understanding of why I can't post that. She had many scholarship offers from D-1 schools. She took the one with the best Aviation and aerospace program.

Date: April 27, 2021 06:36PM

I offer her, and you, a virtual high five.

Date: April 27, 2021 09:58PM

Thanks, that means a lot. It's nice knowing I raised a kid that will be beneficial to society. Because we've always flown for free, she's been to 5 continents and 22 countries. She at first wanted to be a pilot for free flight benefits, but now she's hooked on flight and the physics behind it.

Date: April 27, 2021 10:25PM

She's a role model. Women won't become truly equal until they can stand up to men and, in their competence and confidence, demand equality in language as colorful as circumstances demand.

I'd imagine aviation is a little tougher than most professions since so many pilots came from the armed forces, which are not known for their progressive thinking or policies. But at least your daughter has the stature and physical confidence to put him who strays back in his place.

More power to her.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 28, 2021 10:58PM

If you don't mind saying, is she in the UND Aerospace program? They have pretty close ties with Delta. I am familiar with the program, and to a lesser degree, Embry-Riddle.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 26, 2021 08:25PM

females can't pee standing on the walk-boards of locos like guys can.

(past brakeman & conductor in male-only days)
in my days, most trains had an 'apprentice engr' which was actually called a 'fireman'....There was no licensing then...

Loco engineers ('drivers' in G.Britian) are now required to get some sort of licensing or certification in the U.S. (for operation on ? divisions / lines?)....

train enroute situation: crew of a conductor who isn't qualified as an engineer & a qualified, licensed engineer between cities / places to relieve urself; the engineer has to potty (most locos have a potty & hand-washing)... can the engineer let the conductor handle the train so they don't have to stop?

Yeah, I know it's a surprise that train crews have to potty like the rest of us...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 11:19AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 28, 2021 11:28AM

Having had to use the "facility" on a low-hood SD45, I would rather pee off the side of the cab.
For those who don't know, going to the toilet on a diesel like that is like going to the bathroom under the hood of your car.

Date: April 28, 2021 05:00PM

former / retired Ry employee CnB?

me: I touched them all: GN, NP, UP, & Milwaukee.

I worked 'summers' on the GN while I went to Hicks, the UP shortly & the Milwaukee for a few yrs before joining the ISP.

I was the first of my peers to get a 'beeper', that was interesting!

Not being able to schedule family events, doc & other appointments was always a killer, the worst part of those.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 28, 2021 10:20AM

Had a flashback to the number of times I saw the famous Flying Scotsman hissing and spitting but restrained at the platform in London. It looked fast just sitting there. Often, too, we kids thrilled to see the Golden Arrow roaring through the suburb of London where we lived. Today's trains just don't cut it for excitement no matter male or female at the controls.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 28, 2021 10:56AM

I have a female friend who just retired as an engineer from New Jersey into NYC. I don't think she misses the sexist flack she had to put up with.

Date: April 28, 2021 05:08PM

I remember when the short hood SD 45s & the GEs came out, the added visibility was nothing short of exciting, One, the GN 2517 initially had a 1 piece windshield where now most (all?) have 2, but the torsion & twists of body movement caused it to break & GN replaces it with 2 pieces of glass. the front door & hogheads front-facing window were in addition to the one(s) over the hood.

Ry crew employees were paid by the mile (currently?), so they didn't want to stop the train (at or between stations) on their way.

some (most?) of the EMD "F" units (+ Alcos?) had a 'toilet' in the back. I don't recall seeing a toilet in the nose of those, but I could be wrong.

I guess some hogheads trusted other crew members to take over for a few minutes.

I understand no Amtrak schedules have 2 ppl in the cab except for trainees / assistants, but not regularly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2021 05:53PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: April 28, 2021 06:04PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ry crew employees were paid by the mile
> (currently?), so they didn't want to stop the
> train (at or between stations) on their way.
>
Still paid by the mile. Crews want to move the train, however, new rules such as fuel saving throttle restrictions and the new 15K foot trains do not fit in current sidings so everyone has to wait for them to go by.

> some (most?) of the EMD "F" units (Alcos?) had a
> 'toilet' in the back. I don't recall seeing a
> toilet in the nose of those, but I could be
> wrong.

All North American wide body cabs (like the GE Evolution)have the toilet in front now.

>
> I guess some hogheads trusted other crew members
> to take over for a few minutes.

Nearly all cabs now have in cab cameras which are routinely monitored by management and the FRA. Having a cell ring or an iWatch light up on a moving train is now a $12,500 fine to the crew member. If an engineer handed off the control stand to an unlicensed crew member, both would be fired.

>
> I understand no Amtrak schedules have 2 ppl in the
> cab except for trainees / assistants, but not
> regularly.

Soon the freight train will be a single man crew. They are running test trains now, and working diligently to change law and labor agreement.

Recently retired. Miss my co workers but they are really making it a horrible job. It used to be fun to go to work.

Date: April 28, 2021 06:37PM

Where I worked (Cascade mtns on the GN) we sometimes had a knuckle break or pull a draw-bar.

IDK if a single crew-member would be able to make that change by themself; when it happened, 'back in the day', all brakemen assisted at replacing a knuckle (about 70 pounds).

When a draw-bar broke:

on the rear, the broken car was towed to a siding where people could drive to it either highway or other means.

on the front end: I think those were chained & towed, but I don't recall for sure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.