Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 11:28PM

That was the question posed by Jana Reiss in her column this week.
https://religionnews.com/2021/05/20/why-so-many-new-mormon-temples-when-lds-growth-is-flat/

Her closing statement:
"But temples have never been about what is purely sensible. That’s all the more true lately, when they have become less a reward than a hoped-for catalyst. If yesterday’s temple was a prize bestowed on area members when they had achieved certain milestones related to growth, today’s temple is a jumper cable, a tool to re-energize the sputtering engine of the Church. Each announced temple represents our hope that positive community interest today could translate into converts tomorrow: “If you build it, they will come.”

But will they?"
"It takes maturity to admit we’re no longer attracting and retaining members like we used to. Instead of that, we are doing what most businesses do when they’ve had a string of less than stellar years: we pivot. We emphasize the shiny new product line, which in our case is temples. Temples, temples everywhere! Let’s think positively, people!"

Jana did mention one thing that I find very troubling.

"Those are 2019 numbers, as the Church has yet to release its country-by-country figures for 2020. Generally, these are released very soon after General Conference in April. But this year, the Church issued the overall statistical report on April 3, right on time, but not the individual statistics for each nation. I have contacted the Public Affairs department to ask when these will be made available, and hope it is soon.

In my more cynical moments I worry that they won’t be, that this one concession toward transparency—the closest thing ordinary members have to a shareholder report—could quietly disappear. "

I share her concern. All LDS Inc would have to do is announce that membership figures by country for this year will be delayed, or will resume next year, and people wouldn't worry that they will stop releasing those figures altogether. But noooo. They want to keep the option to simply stop the reporting with no explanation. Jerks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 11:28PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 11:39PM

"...And then he said, 'It's possible that before I die, I will see some of my puny efforts to break the back of the church flower and bring forth fruit.' I would like to think that he did! Now let us all bow our heads and diddle ourselves."

--Judic West, at the memorial for Elder Olddog, after EOD's UFO abduction on a lonely stretch of I-15 north of Cedar City, whose temple he had just graffitied that same night.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 07:10AM

Was that you I saw lifting his hind leg next to Joseph Smith’s grave?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 08:30AM

I was thinking that the temples are like a frequent flyer's airline VIP lounge at the airport. It gives the customers who are spending the most money with a corporation their own private space where they can rest, feel special, get some extra attention from staff, and be removed from the rest of us. Airlines see it as an investment in customer retention and loyalty. I think the Mormon church sees it in much the same way.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 10:47AM

You're onto something. Made me think they decided, "Hey, let's at least upgrade everybody to Business Class."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 05:45PM

They need some good snacks though. And drinks. The "no alcohol" policy is killing them. :D

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 12:59PM

From the article: "We may be struggling, but this market for religion simply sucks. Much of that is not our fault."

Well, whose fault is it? Tell us, Jana, so we may know why religion is in decline. Maybe because the product is substandard? Just a thought.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 07:36PM

When people reject snake oil, maybe the salesman has some culpability there. ;)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 02:03PM

I believe only convert growth is flat, & the birth rate is tanking; However, ChurchCo is large enough not to panic for another 50 yrs or so.

Most if not all current GAs won’t be returning calls or messages then...

Temple & chapel construction will continue as long as most of us are living...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2021 02:04PM by GNPE.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 06:18PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe only convert growth is flat, & the birth
> rate is tanking;

Then, factor in the inactivity increase of members (aggravated by Covid), outright apostasy, and reduced retention of the Millennials and Gen Z...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 01:18AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Temple & chapel construction will continue as long as most of us are living... >

Well then let's stop! Dang it!! lol What are we waiting for?

They've got nothing better to do with the (free) money.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 11:31PM

Brother of Jerry wrote in part:

"Jana did mention one thing that I find very troubling.

"Those are 2019 numbers, as the Church has yet to release its country-by-country figures for 2020. Generally, these are released very soon after General Conference in April. But this year, the Church issued the overall statistical report on April 3, right on time, but not the individual statistics for each nation. I have contacted the Public Affairs department to ask when these will be made available, and hope it is soon.

In my more cynical moments I worry that they won’t be, that this one concession toward transparency—the closest thing ordinary members have to a shareholder report—could quietly disappear. "

I share her concern. All LDS Inc would have to do is announce that membership figures by country for this year will be delayed, or will resume next year, and people wouldn't worry that they will stop releasing those figures altogether. But noooo. They want to keep the option to simply stop the reporting with no explanation. Jerks."

That's why independent news media is supposed to exist: to hold those who are in power accountable by ferreting out information, such as what you cite above, that the powerful (re LDS church leaders) don't want to give out.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 02:08AM

When did the church decide that a temple "open house" generates convert baptisms?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 06:45AM

I believe people need to register for the free tickets. This generates a large number of names and contact information for the missionaries. Plus some percentage of people will be curious or impressed with the building, and be willing to talk to missionaries.

It may not create many converts, but any is better than almost none. Temple open houses were always seen as recruiting tools, even more so now that they re trying to rebrand as “the church with all the temples”, as opposed to the BoM, or even worse, the polygamist church, a reputation that still dogs them.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 12:59PM

If you like to prank your friends and enemies, see if you can get hold of their return address labels that almost every charity organization send out.

Stick those address labels on everything fund raiser, charity group mailing etc. you can get your hands on. PCH is a good one.

Watch your F/E's mail box overload with junk mail.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 01:34PM

in order to keep the con running you have to keep up the illusion

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 07:14PM

Like McDonalds...mormons love real estate and speculation. With a $100 billion in cash and church with investments so that it could operate for another 100 years without members contributing a dime...they will continue to make temples to continue the farce religion. At least the bishops aren't raping the young men as much as the Catholics.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.