Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:14PM

I'm posting the link to the whole thing, but if it has a paywall, I will hit the highlights...

https://mailchi.mp/sltrib/mormon-land-latter-day-saints-andtrumps-big-lie?e=e1154288aa

46% of mormons believe the big lie that the election was stolen from T***** (to use Steven Cobert's method of never mentioning his name again). Also mormons are least likely to trust mainstream TV news or to even watch it.(I have family members who fall into this camp big time...gag)

A religious studies prof at Indiana Univ thinks mormons should embrace and lean into the nickname "mormon" even tho Rusty said not to.

Gone are the golden questions. NO-church leaders want members to spread the religion in ways that are "less contrived" by focusing on the principles of love, share and invite. Global broadcast on Sat, June 26 to lay leaders and missionaries about this. (our old sales pitch isn't working anymore).

Proclamation on the restoration--I did not know this was a thing..done in 2020. Shows that the church is really starting to ramp up the second coming narrative. (to justify their $100B slush fund perhaps?)

Anyway, lots of little interesting tidbits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:21PM

I still have my golden question marks lapel pin. So is it now useless, or a collector’s item?

Even at the time (early 1960s) the lapel pin made me cringe.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:40PM

Thanks for the link, but I posted a link to this study earlier this week and it got immediately censored. Surprised at the double standard here?
Not me.

Where Latter-day Saints stand on the ‘big lie’
Mormonism was born from a young boy’s quest for religious truth, so it may seem odd that many of its followers are embracing a political lie.

But, according to recent data from PRRI (Public Religion Research Institute) U.S. Latter-day Saints:

• Are more inclined than other religious followers — save for white evangelical Protestants — to believe the false narrative that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from Donald Trump. Yes, 46% of Latter-day Saints believe the “big lie,” behind only white evangelical Protestants (61%) and ahead of white mainline Protestants (37%) and white Catholics (35%).

• Are the least likely to trust mainstream TV news outlets such as CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, local stations and public television, Religion News Service reports. Barely a quarter (28%) of Latter-day Saints say they trust these news sources. That’s lower than the 30% of white evangelicals who feel the same way. But 14% of Latter-day Saints say they do view Fox News as a go-to outlet for accurate information.

• May not watch a lot of TV news anyway. Some 44% of Latter-day Saints reported they do not tune in at all, compared with 37% of white evangelicals who skip those shows. At least half of Latter-day Saints, however, do say they watch Fox News, reports Ryan Burge of Eastern Illinois University.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:41PM

"Do you know how wacky mormons are?"

"Would you like to know more about how wacky mormons are?"

Posted by: exmormon2011 ( )
Date: June 02, 2021 08:50PM

Not really a surprise that so many Mormons believe in conspiracy theories like the Big Lie. After all, Mormonism actually started as a "conspiracy theory" of sorts. The establishment churches were all said to be lying and in league with the devil himself. That isn't substantively different from Qanon today and it's beliefs about Hillary Clinton and Pizzagate, The Mormon conspiracy theory said that you would know the truth if you put your faith in a crazy book (like the crazy Qanon posts on 8chan). Joseph Smith was the 1830s version of Q

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 02, 2021 09:39PM

“the church is really starting to ramp up the second coming narrative”

Really? I assumed that “boy who cried wolf” nonsense went away after Y2K.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 03, 2021 10:12AM

Would have been nice to have been surprised by this bit of news.

The issue isn't that they are stupid, but that they are empty inside. Those they are that are anxious to show they are not and fill themselves with secrets that prove they are in the know and you are not. Any secret will do. They don't even have to be sacred anymore, just contrarian. Still trying to play with the big boys.

Fear of ordinariness? A peculiar people as they loved to be called back in my day?

Alas, peculiar has two meanings: 1. Strange or odd;unusual, weird. Or, 2. Particular, special.

They think they are number two. Hahahah ha.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.