Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 03:35PM

the phone?
why will they only text?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 03:40PM

IKR?

Posted by: txt 4evr ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 03:45PM

TBH, IDK.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 03:50PM

I used my ancient flip phone up until around a year-and-a-half ago. People knew that if they texted me I probably wouldn't be able to see it, and definitely would not text back. So, they called. With my iPhone they know that if I text them back, it might be in a day or two. So, they call.

I've never been able to get the whole text exchange thing. I mean, I have a phone...you have a phone...why are we typing back and forth instead of talking?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 04:08PM

I prefer texting bc I don’t hear well on the phone.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 04:21PM

I know I’ll be seen as a relic from a distant past when I say this, but-texting is a really crappy form of communication.

Sure if you need to convey something simple like where and when to meet, texting is perfect. If you want your message to have any context, meaning, or emotion, minimal characters on a small screen just doesn’t work.

And text “conversations” are just ridiculous.

This is one case where technology has given us a path that too many people use to go backwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 04:21PM by CrispingPin.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 04:31PM

I ask the same question daily.

The kids text a question. In less than 10 seconds I call them. The won't answer. Drives me nuts.

New thing...voice texts.

The kids record a message and send via text.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 04:53PM

It's the least direct form of communication - sort of a buffer against the anxiety of actual contact with a (egads) living human being.
I mean, peeps be scary, maan.

(Plus, awesome avoidance tactic in the elevator -- bury your face in the phone, tapping like mad.)(Mutter some, and they move to the far end.)

It's a hypothesis

(Me, have copied "whazzzaaaaaap" and then quick-paste it to any text received. No complaints. Seems to work fine.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 04:58PM

I just respond with random emojis, never any words.

So very few people text me anymore, that aren't my bank, credit cards or giving me a log-in confirmation code...

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 05:07PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just respond with random emojis, never any
> words.
===============================

Waiting for a "moon" emoji

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 05:00PM

Phone calls are intrusive. They interrupt whatever you are doing. they've always been intrusive, but in the past, the only alternative was not to make the call at all.

Texts don't interrupt what you are doing. Well, they do, but at least you have the "not right now" option available.

But yeah, conversations via text are absurd. By the second volley, I just call the person. A ten text exchange to figure out where to have lunch is .........

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 05:44PM

Sometimes there's that person you need to communicate with who can't help but go into every excruciating detail... and you just don't have the interest.

Posted by: TopperToppington ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 05:46PM

I

fucking

hate

phones!

Always have... always will. Texting was a godsend.

TopperToppington (don't call me I won't answer).

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: June 23, 2021 02:30AM

Me too. I don't know why I find talking on the phone so uncomfortable. I tend to get jumbled and anxious.

I do my best to avoid talking on the phone whenever possible. I don't call to make an appointment for my seasonal tire change. I drive to the garage to make an appointment in person.

Texting gives me time and space to process my thoughts and put them into words without the stress and pressure of having to speak them into a machine in real time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 06:03PM

I do both. Texting allows people to respond when they are able. I can also conduct a text conversation while I am working. If I have a lot of information to convey, or just want to hear someone's voice, I call.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 06:44PM

How many of you communicated via telegram? stop

I last sent a telegram the day after the first Draft Lottery. stop

It was to my draft board, telling them to process my appeal without me being there. stop

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 08:06PM

Texting has been replaced by sexting.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 08:33PM

Brain-Dead Teen, Only Capable Of Rolling Eyes And Texting, To Be Euthanized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGXSPf9b-xI

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: June 20, 2021 09:54PM

Don't use a cell phone so I don't text. Hated it when I worked and haven't used one since retiring.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 12:04AM

You only use a landline? My landline gets so many spam calls it's become useless.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 23, 2021 06:56PM

We don't get too many spam calls. I don't know why that is. My wife uses a cell phone but we have a land line primarily for calls to England which are included in our charge sol we can speak for as long as we wish.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 10:27AM

I like the "think time" afforded by email, text, private messaging. I can edit, clarify, delete if I've said something stupid.

I like the efficiency. Get to the point. I'm not a small-talker except with a few close friends and relatives.

I don't think digital communication will ever entirely replace IRL conversations but it allows flexibility. Long winded types can choose not to text. Introverts can rely on emojis.

All other forms of relating info have been similarly criticized.

Printed books? Now every low class person in the world will be able to read! Grrrr.
Television? We'll thwart our kids imaginations! They're not getting enough exercise. Their attention spans are shortening.
Computers? Everyone will forget how to do math! They'll take over the world.
Etc.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 11:31AM

I still have a land line out here in the country...and 90% of the calls are spam...from Mumbai.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2021 11:31AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.