Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 11:29AM

Sexless marriages are common. So are marriages lacking romance or even affection. Marriages of convenience are nothing new. And society has become somewhat accepting of same-sex marriages. But I suspect a wave of outrage is coming with the news some platonic friends are openly and unapologetically marrying primarily for the benefits. And because they like each other a lot — just not in that way.

I imagine there will be cries these couples are gaming the system, or that they're further destroying the meaning of Marriage®, or that it's just too weird.

Hey, I'm in favor of defining and creating whatever form of consensual, non-exploitative familial arrangements one desires. So go for it, if it works for you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 11:45AM

I might go back if I could be sealed to myself for all Eternity.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 12:04PM

the reason I didn't get a divorce is because I didn't have the emotional, mental energy at the time he left me. He and his boyfriend were being very abusive to me. The kids even felt he wasn't their dad. Our son still calls him by his first name and he left us over 25 years ago. And the kids get along with him good now. There will always be issues as he did abandon them, too. Not just me. I told my niece to fight for custody of them if anything happened to me and my kids said, "He doesn't want us." They were 10.

So my therapist told me to decide what I was going to do. Well, my husband and his boyfriend wanted me declared nuts and they could take the kids OR they wanted 50/50 custody. Over my dead body. My husband at least knew deep down he couldn't do that to me. For one, he wouldn't have spent the money. He could see them anytime as long as they weren't around his boyfriend and he is glad I did that now. REALLY GLAD.

So I got not child support. I got no spousal support. I paid for the house. Now we live here together and he pays all bills because I don't divorce him NOW and take half his pension and half his 401K. I did all the work and HE KNOWS IT.

He has a boyfriend, I have a boyfriend. His insurance at his job did ask to prove we lived at the same address and we do. That is all they expect. Legal marriage, live together.

It worked out better this way. I watched many friends and family members lose everything and we didn't. (We're both almost 65.)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 12:04PM

I say good for them. Why should people get more benefits than others just because they are married?

Nowadays more couples both have jobs and do well with the pooled resources. Meanwhile the singles struggle all on their own. The break for being married makes no sense.

SICKENLY, Now here in L.A. the trend is for couples who are romantically involved and even have children NOT to get married. The woman claims to be single with children and gets all kinds of government assistance. I mean lots. Meanwhile the guy has a good paying job and the assistance goes for perks. I know of one couple like that with two new BMS's and third high end car.

These are the people scamming the system, not the best friends.

Marriage is a legal contract that comes with a tax break and a chance to screw your spouse in a divorce. It's basically a business transaction.

I never wanted to be married. The thought still makes me ill though I am. Had to do it so I could get into the hospital to see beloved. That is the way it was for us gays. We need the rights, no the tax break.

All comes down to the fact that there is no separation of church and state.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 12:30PM

If both people work, and have roughly comparable incomes, getting married is actually an income tax penalty.

The tax benefit of being a single mother are mostly if the woman is low to moderate income. She gets to file as single head of household, but that is still a lower standard deduction than filing as married filing jointly. There is a slight benefit there to being able to file as single head of household.

She may qualify for earned income credit, but that would only apply if she were low to moderate income. Child tax credit applies whether filing married or single.

There are of course other reasons to get, or not get married, besides the tax code.

Date: July 15, 2021 12:34PM

Thanks. Never taken the time to really look at the details. I am so bad with numbers---mostly from lack of interest, haha. I just thought there was an advantage to filing jointly.

I have personally witnessed the scamming going on here with a lot of people. I over hear things constantly by people who have no idea I speak their language.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 01:38PM

It's very difficult being single. I had to live in shared housing situations (with either roommates or family members) into my 40s. I pay all of my mortgage, all of my bills, etc. There is no splitting anything. Our society is structured for couples and families. Not singles.

Date: July 15, 2021 01:40PM

Thanks. That was the point I was trying to make.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 02:39PM

Financially, it's difficult being single.

After 35 years of marital bliss--not--I'll live (relatively) poor and alone thanks!

I used to be so afraid of being old, poor, and alone. Not so bad actually.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 03:09PM

everything the kids needed including getting them gifts, school fees. I called to ask for some lunch money for the kids one day and my "husband" said, "I gave them $5 on Monday." It was Thursday. $5 to share.

My therapist told me to have my kids ask their dad and that worked better. If her dad says, "no," she slams the phone down on him. He deserves it. He doesn't say no to her very often anymore or his son. He helps so much more and it is such a huge relief. But I paid for this place for 15 years by myself. So, NOW, if we divorce, I would have to give him half the house. So I got screwed in every way.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 01:45PM

I know a gay couple, not married. One of them landed up in the hospital and only family could visit.

All my friend did was say the patient was her sister. She got to visit and get personal medical information about her partner.

The partner all she had to do was acknowledge the other was her sister, problem solved.

Date: July 15, 2021 02:41PM

Also, with an FLDS polygamist couple, the guy could just say his fourth wife was his niece. Of course that wouldn't be a lie.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 01:13PM

Kinda makes one wonder what is marriage actually about, anyway, doesn't it

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 02:28PM

Could each woman in a Lesbian couple marry a man from a Gay couple if the need was to hide from mormon scrutiny while employed by a mormon business?

For mormon public perception, they would present themselves as two, very close, heterosexual married couples.

If they were White & Delightsome, I think they could get away with it, at least in terms of their mormon jobs.

Or am I just a dreamer?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 02:31PM

I imagine this has happened many many times.

Date: July 15, 2021 02:38PM

It could work that way, but Sheri couldn't find anyone.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 03:25PM

You are a bad man, D&D. A very bad man!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 03:00PM

Maybe the ways laws are set up for children and spouses ought to be looked at to ensure equality for all adults. I don't think the tax structure should be necessarily set up to encourage marriage or endless children. I see problems either way. Children should have support, but not as a money making plan for income. I'm glad I'm not in charge of this because I don't have answers.

I see benefits and problems with marriage when it comes to finances, taxes and laws. It's a trap for some women and men financially and a great benefit for others. People shouldn't have to marry or divorce to game the system.

I wish we (and businesses) could be rewarded according to how we limit needless consumption, generation of plastic waste and the size of our individual carbon footprints. The encouragement for endless impulsive buy buy buy and toss mentality is not good, IMO.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.