Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 04:22PM

I just saw a blerp about this. Anyone else know about it. Should be interesting since mormons have lots of murders in the news.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 04:35PM

Do you think that mormons outperform in this arena, like on a percentage basis? Like, do mormons hit way above their weight?

How many mormons would sign-on to "Fast for the Death of All ______s!" if the Big 15 said it was a worthy goal?

Date: July 15, 2021 05:53PM

I think their teachings do. If they are convinced sealing guarantees their family is together forever, those spouses that have control issues may feel murdering their family is necessary (in a sick kind of way). The Vallow/Daybell case shows how the two totally believed the bom and said those scriptures told them to murder.

Susan Powell family same pattern. Matthew Shepard was another one. There seems to be a pattern in how the cult teachings condone murder of family. There was another a year or two ago in Salt lake where teenager killed family.

This is just my opinion and I could be off base. Any ideas?

I am curious what the documentary says.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 16, 2021 11:49AM

Mark Hofmann was a con man, pure and simple. He used his LDS membership to gain access to the Mormon hierarchy to sell documents. I doubt he believed anything about the church. Susan Powell bought into the Mormon religion which blinded her from the behaviors of her crazy Mormon husband. Matthew Shepard was Episcopalian.

Ted Bundy converted to the LDS church during his rampage in Utah. Again a con man and murderer using the LDS church to his own advantage. I think all religions have some very bad people hidden in their ranks.

Date: July 16, 2021 04:00PM

My understanding was that Matthew Shepard was killed by two rms who believed he needed to be killed because he was gay. I was told this by someone who was in their ward at the time. It could be incorrect but that is what I was told.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 16, 2021 04:36AM

The documentary cover the forgeries and murders committed by Mark Hofmann many decades ago.

His story and its ramifications are often discussed here.

You may be able to call up some threads on it in the search function. Remember Hofmann is spelled with one f and two n.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 16, 2021 04:33PM

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2370593,2370593#msg-2370593
Murder among the Mormons almost didn't get made

The program is in Netflix, came out in March of this year.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2365045,2365045#msg-2365045
Murder among the Mormons, continued

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2381650,2381650#msg-2381650
future hulu limited series on Lafferty murders/Under the Banner of Heaven

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.