Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Waren Jeffs ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 07:07AM

?????

If ancient Lehites or Nephites wrote what they thought was a sacred record of an eternal gospel,then why does it not occur to Mormons that either Lehi or other characters that were supposed to have written on gold plates,did not at least describe in some detail about proxy baptism ,or eternal marriages sealed in a temple?If Lehites or Nephites or any others seriously believed such beliefs,they would express it through their heart felt feelings in their writings.

The only example of anything in the Book of Mormon that is put in to practise in a practical way is a few instructions in Moroni about baptism or the duties of people administering sacrament.

I used to try and give Books of Mormon to any interested people which there were few as a teenager.I was a teenager from about 1987 to 1991.I still tried activities like that until 1994.As far as I remember,I must have thought the purpose of the Book of mormon was just to cause people to have a spiritual conversion.Maybe I thought the book was to convince people to believe in Jesus Christ.I never gave any thought about whether it was not realistic for such a book written by ancient authors for such an important spiritual purpose contained historical examples of significant Mormon practises.

How did this escape you in your time as a Mormon when you never foresaw yourself becoming an exmormon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 08:37AM

I suspect, at least in my case, as I was always told to follow the prophets and heed the local leaders, I wasn't looking for any anomalies in the BOM, therefore I never found any. After I stopped going to church, little by little, I began to notice things that didn't add up (not that I was still reading scripture); something would jog my memory and I would think about it critically. I haven't had this particular thought, so thank you for adding one more incongruity for me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 08:57AM

It didn’t escape me. I thought it was weird that the BoM supposedly had “the fullness of the gospel” yet made no mention at all about temple work of any sort.

I eventually left because the BoM and BoA were clearly not what JS claimed they were.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 09:48AM

The fact that most TBMs (including me for an embarrassingly long time) fail to realize is that the Book of Mormon contains virtually no unique Mormon doctrine.

Mormons, choose one:
1) The Book of Mormon is *NOT* the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of your religion.
2) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not what it claims to be.
3) Both 1 & 2.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 12:11PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fact that most TBMs (including me for an
> embarrassingly long time) fail to realize is that
> the Book of Mormon contains virtually no unique
> Mormon doctrine.
>
> Mormons, choose one:
> 1) The Book of Mormon is *NOT* the most correct of
> any book on earth, and the keystone of your
> religion.
> 2) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
> is not what it claims to be.
> 3) Both 1 & 2.

Definately 3

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 10:24AM

TBMs can always say that the temple stuff was in the sealed portion, because it's sacred. Or they fall back to the "line upon line" BS. There's always an out for them.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 11:30AM

Was it Holland who said that the BoM "is not a history book, a religious book with some history in it"?

Except it talks about senines and cureloms but nothing about BFD or eternal marriage. You'd think "New nd Everlasting Covenant" would have introduced a lot earlier if it was so important. And as for BFD, I suspect that, much like infant baptisms were designed to make people feel better about infant mortality, JS stole the one line from Paul where he asks "What about those who baptise for the dead if there's no afterlife?" (He was referring to a small local cult of early Christians). I'm sure JS used it as marketing tool, and of course now it's a monymaker for the temple.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 12:48PM

Waren Jeffs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did this escape you in your time as a Mormon
> when you never foresaw yourself becoming an
> exmormon?

I had been an exmormon teen.

I was also raised on the concept of "dispensations" where different times and different places did different "true" things.

I was a child of the dispensation of the fullness of times.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 06:51PM

I believe the book of mormon is silent on tithing.

It only mentions Teachers, Priests, Elders, High Priest and Seers. No mention of Deacons, Bishops, 70s, Apostles.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 07:04PM

How can they say god and his gospel never changes? Why no mention of funeral potatoes in the BOM? Why no recipes for lime Jello or sherbet/ pineapple juice punch? Did Nephite boys tie one hand to the bedpost overnight with their headbands? I mean, somethings never change right?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 08:47PM

Jello and Funeral Potatoes are both found in the Inspired Version of the Book of Mormon that JS was writing when he met his untimely demise.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 12:21PM

Obviously, the best recipes are in the Sealed Portion; that's where you find the curelom stew that can feed a family of 56 while spending very few senines.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 07:21PM

All the Jell-O recipes and whatnot were contained in the 116 pages. Once those got out, JS knew he couldn't recreate their perfection so he abandoned them to the world. Sure enough, years later someone "invented" Jell-O salad...but the Church was laying in wait to reclaim what was rightfully theirs. Nibley gave a lecture on this, IIRC, called "Work We Must, but the Jell-O Is Ours."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 08:34PM

When you make it up as you go, it's hard to keep your story straight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2021 08:34PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 10:17PM

Short answer.

The last person to hold the keys of sealing by proxy was Elijah.

Until they were restored, no one could perform a celestial marriage or baptism for the dead.

Sealings for the living do not require a temple.

Interesting side note. Until a few years back only elders and above could perform baptisms for the dead. Now teenage priests can do it while Laurels or what ever they use now perform matronly duties for the girls.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 03:51AM

I could NOT read the Book of MORmON, even though I was supposed to.

Sure, I would open it up, just like I was supposed to, look at the words in order, just like reading it, and mentally recite the words to myself, just like reading it, and tell myself that those words were of great significance, just like my MORMON seminary instructor had said they were.......while "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah" is what really went through my mind.

I could not really read the Book of MORmON with out becoming really bored and quitting, because Dr. Seuss made far more sense and was far more relevant .......or maybe I was reading the (POS) Book of MORmON in a larger sense -that it was an incoherent POS that was unworthy of my time or concentration my seminary teacher had said/ insisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktfQ8b_-rs

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.