Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 03:33PM

If that is the path forward for LDS, Inc, then Elder Price in "Book of Mormon the Musical" is the ultimate example of this idea. Should I refer to the creators of South Park as Elder Stone and Elder Parker? Or should that be President Stone and President Parker. Those guys have a shit-ton of revelation coming out of their work. I cannot say the same for LDS, Inc.

I wonder how the Brethren would react if Elder Price changed his "I Believe" song to "I Choose to Believe"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2021 03:48PM by cheezus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WilliamtheOne ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 05:58PM

When you have Faith, Facts don't matter. (sign on front of a church years ago)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 06:25PM

I don't believe NOR do I have faith in much of anything.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 11:58PM

Faith is a choice, as is belief. Is it a bad choice? It’s interesting to me that the church uses direct experience to gauge truth. That’s really its value proposition. A healthy church is a big tent that allows many variations on individual truth. It doesn’t need correlation or micromanagement.

The modern church has lost touch with its mystical roots, probably because folk magic has fallen out of fashion. The church is anachronistic. It can’t get with the times because the GAs aren’t prophetic in any sense of the word. They are completely clueless, which should tell the Saints something about their religion. The best they can do is jettison whatever makes the church special and become vanilla Christians.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 11:37AM

Name one idea or concept that can be accepted on faith, but its opposite can not. I have posed this to literally thousands of people. Not one has provided an answer.

That is exactly how useful "faith" is.

HH =)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 12:49AM

To quote Mickey from “Rocky”, there is no tomorrow. Which is correct in that the tomorrow you don’t create now will never exist. So whether you believe one thing or its opposite, that’s the tomorrow you create. Or you can believe in nothing and let tomorrow just happen. Which could work except sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof. Getting to tomorrow in one piece is an act of faith. Maybe not faith in God, but faith in something. Society, money, or a cold brew at the end of the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 01:01AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 09:06AM

I certainly can't argue with that kind of logic. SMH

HH =)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 12:02PM

I always heard that faith is belief in things unseen. The dictionary seems to agree, "Faith . . .strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

Uh, apprehension? That being based on anxiety as far as I can tell---anxiety about the future-- is often the case. No need to have apprehension about the past as the past is known. Apprehension based faith/beliefs seems to be an unstable choice to me. Just doesn't work with my life philosophies based on what I have seen so far.

I still like to have some facts and reason to sort through. Even if I can't come to a conclusion, at least the journey is on concrete ground. And when I have apprehension about the future I prefer to form a plan, not just wish and hope that somebody else-- heavenly or otherwise--- will fix all.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 07:20PM

Apprehension has a secondary meaning of “understanding”.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 07:39PM

I know. But since it's secondary I sort of let it go in favor of the common meaning. haha. Because--- Seems like an odd second meaning. The two meanings seem to oppose each other. And shouldn't understanding be "comprehension" rather than apprehension.? Cuz, faith is what you need when things don't make sense, are not understood.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 12:26AM

.....which is derived from the Latin word.. 'Jalapeno'

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 09:53AM

I don't see belief or faith as a choice. You either believe something, or you don't. My friends who believe really do wholeheartedly believe it. To me, belief is being convinced of a thing.

I could choose to behave and live as though I believed it, but at the same time, I would know that I was lying to myself. I could say that I chose to follow it, but I couldn't say that I chose to believe it.

Maybe over time, you could convince yourself. But by that point, you'd have actual belief.

That actually describes my entire career in the Church. I'd have myself more convinced at times, but then doubts would eventually creep in again.

But once I found evidence that it was all a fraud, belief never happened again, and never will at this point. I know too much and I can't unlearn what I've learned about the true history of the Church. The evidence is too strong.

It's a bit of a side note, but I was just thinking about people who will not look at the evidence. Some won't look at it because they're afraid that they could be wrong, while others simply dismiss it because they "know" that they're right. So there's no point in looking at it.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 04:58PM

I believe many things, however, I do not act on all my 'beliefs' until they meet a certain criteria. I try to be open/it may be possible on all things that are not 'obvious' to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.