Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shelley56 ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:19AM

Do they even work with a TBM and person of another faith, or an agnostic or atheist?

I can't see it working well. It would likely be years of the tbm with all their member friends and family continually pushing a the other one to convert or reactivate.

If kids are involved, can see it likely breaking those bonds, too one way or the other. Guess there are rare cases where the "other" has greater influence but overall, must be tough!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:23AM

Mormon guys didn't seem to like me and I worked where there were a lot of nonmormon guys. I had 3 ask me to marry them before age 25 and I finally ended up in a mixed orientation marriage because of my beliefs. What a hell I made for myself!

I'm with the first nonmormon who asked me to marry him back in 1978. I'm 64. We've been together 16 years now.

I would have been concerned about saving him if we had been in a mixed religion marriage, just like I tried saving my husband. Now he is more of the idea that maybe I'd like to be Jewish (he converted in his 20s), but he doesn't bring it up very often. We do pretty good for our age and being set in our ways. We choose not to live together. *I choose not to live with him and I drive him nuts if I stay in his territory too long, so it is what it is.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:12PM

Your situation is not unique, lot of seniors make this work. I'm in my 60s and I totally understand.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:38AM

Yep it was hard for our family. Pop was Jewish and Mom was Catholic. You shoulda seen Easter at our house !

Just kidding. Pop was a very good sport re Easter an Christmas. Our Jewish relatives always brought us Easter baskets.

Somebody has to be a good sport. And Mom was complimentary of his Jewishness. The Yiddish we learned came from her.

But, he would NOT allow us to become baptized as Catholics.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:49AM

I knew a couple in So. Ca. years ago.
he was Catholic and she was a devout nudist swinger.
It was touch and go for a while but 40 years later they are still together!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:07PM

Shelley56 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they even work with a TBM and person of another
> faith, or an agnostic or atheist?
===============================

Idunno.

Kinda depends on the tolerance of each, doesn't it.
Are Mormons taught to be Tolerant, or Righteous?
I have known many Righteous Mormons.

Do you know any Tolerant Mormons?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:41PM

I'm not in a mixed faith marriage. Only one of us has faith. We work out. Faith enough for both of us I suppose as long as we have faith in each other.

Posted by: Shelley56 ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 06:28PM

Um, I mean a tbm and non-believer or doubter.
Yes, some do make it work somehow but seems like a lot go through pure agony in the process.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 08:17PM

is what my brain tells me it is seeing whenever I go down the list of threads . . .

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 01:25AM

But you have the most mamacitas per capita.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 12:32AM

I don't know if any official surveys have been done on the subject of mixed-faith marriages, and I probably wouldn't trust the results, anyway, depending on what special-interest group is manipulating the data--

However, experience tells me that most marriages in America is "mixed", just like everything else here. Bring into the marriage almost any organized religion, or atheism, agnosticism, or whatever, things can be worked out. I believe that differences about career, where to live, children, lifestyle, pets, even politics can be worked out. I've seen this. Differences in morality and fidelity are unsolveable, IMO.

Beyond, and deeper than "love", I think a basic mutual respect is necessary. This includes an equality of husband and wife, and their perception of how valuable they are to each other, themselves, their families, and the world.

Mormonism comes from polygamy. Sorry, but the religion is patriarchal. Women are treated as second-class citizens. They are believed to be inferior to men. This is not "love". (Also, Mormons don't respect children as individuals, either).

A marriage will not work out, if one spouse believes in a cult of hate, such as Mormonism. If the wife is the sole believer, she still believes that she needs a temple husband in order to get into Heaven and be with her family. That's powerful, and she will hate her husband for denying her these blessings. If either the husband or the wife is a Mormon, and the other is not the marriage is doomed to unhappiness, IMO.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 01:01AM

What a nightmare

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 12:06AM

I was inactive and my wife was a non practicing but fully believing Catholic and I told her I wasn't going to mass and that I wouldn't be asking her to go to my church and we never exposed our kids to church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.