Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 02:30PM

I gotz ta know!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 03:05PM

Do you think they would sanction polygamy even if it were to become legal?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 04:03PM

If the revelation came from Nelson or Oaks, absolutely. Look at how fast everyone ditched the “Mormon” name after it was revealed that it makes Jesus sad.

Mormonism needs a schtick. Polygamy might just be it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 01:26PM

I believe that it is "The NEW and everlasting covenant

Date: July 27, 2021 01:28PM

The Devil made me do it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 03:14PM

In or out of the Covenant?

Date: July 27, 2021 03:32PM

Covernant ...

Covernut ...

Cumberpunt!

Date: July 27, 2021 03:34PM

You should loosen your cummerbund. It's obviously too cumbersome.

Date: July 28, 2021 11:07AM

I am a man
I would be in favor if the woman had the final approval and there was an equality among the wives and they were not just baby factories.
There I've said it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 11:11AM

Would you be equally in favor if you were one of several husbands ?

Date: July 28, 2021 12:06PM

Preach it, Sis. Kathleen!!

I am on record here as totally favoring the notion of 1 wife with 5 husbands!

The STRENGTH of such a union! The support the kids would have!!

But most of all, one husband takes her shopping and the other four go play golf.

I'm knocking my ghawd exams out of the park!!!!

Date: July 28, 2021 01:18PM

I'm actually thinking polyandry is a grand idea, EOD, especially for me who likes to buy old houses.

I'd like an engineer in the bunch, a few scientists, and I'd charge my friends $15 apiece to come and watch my contractor take off his shirt.

It's a Win/Win. :)

Date: July 28, 2021 02:36PM

Crack that whip, Kathleen!

Date: July 28, 2021 03:24PM

:D

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 06:15PM

The New and Everlasting Covenant never went away. Just that now the husband has to outlive each successive wife before adding a new one.

Date: July 25, 2021 06:37PM

Or you could divorce the one you have and marry another one without securing a "temple divorce."

Or you could have one in Mexico, one in the USA and one in Canada like they did back in the day.

Expensive, a lot of fuss, but doable.

Date: July 25, 2021 07:14PM

“Doable” is a wonderful adjective! ...as well as a predicate nominative...

Date: July 26, 2021 11:13AM

May all your nominatives be predicate!

what fun!

Do they still teach the art of diagramming sentences?

Date: July 26, 2021 01:27PM

I learned that skill in Mrs. Taylor's sixth-grade class, at Fifth St. Elementary school (home of the Fighting Tigers), in 1955.

I saw no evidence, in the course of raising cinco 'esquincles', that the continued education in this skill remained in vogue.

As much as I would have appreciated the coolness factor of taking the chalk from The Cat's science teacher and then explaining to the class how to identify a prepositional phrase, and then how to graph it!! -- and watching the cute cheerleader in the front row get all turned on -- it never came to pass...

Yes, I know, very, very sad!

Date: July 26, 2021 01:37PM

Apologies if this is too personal, Jesus, but was that your second or your third year in sixth grade?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 07:53PM

I doubt they could get away with it because of all the negative press from the splinter groups.

Any shade of bad PR is avoided. To reinstate celestial marriage for the living would need strict rules on age and relationship.

Although Joseph married sisters and mother/daughters I think the church would have to disavow such marriages.

Although Joseph married girls "almost 15" there is no way the church could allow that. I am willing to bet they'd set an age of 21 to enter into the covenant.

Although Joseph entered into marriages without Emma's consent, D&C requires consent. The church would need to rule on that.

Now....if the church were desperate enough for converts from countries where plural marriage is legal and accepted I'd wager they'd find a way to get these converts.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 07:54PM

With all of Russ's efforts to make the church a mainstream faith and himself a global faith leader, the Everlasting Covenant (pologamy) might be a bit too quirky. The church elite could always take a lesson from Joseph Smith & practice polygamy in secret.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 08:37PM

Probably many other people. Bring it on!

Date: July 25, 2021 08:53PM

Anyone else here wonder if Wendy has asked her Eternal Companion what his Sacred Temple name is, and has tried to get him to commit to her being the #1 wife?

Or did she get Rusty to also be sealed to Sheri and the two of them don't give a rat’s ass what his plans are?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 25, 2021 09:31PM

"come on, man!" .....according to LDS Inc PR and their MORmON BS artist apologists, "the new and everlasting covenant" applies to MORmON temple sealed marriages or "eternal" marriages, and it does not necessarily invoke or automatically apply to plural marriages..... so, the new and everlasting covenant is still in effect, of course the same POS also insist that the modern Book of MORmON church has "nothing whatever to do" with (MORmON) polygamy

the thing that LDS Inc and its Book of MORmON church SCAM does get away with is performing a "Bernie Madoff" every year, year after year after year, and they get away with it by doing their crime in the name of God

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 11:29AM

Aren't they trying to appear to be just a "normal" Christian denomination now?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 11:30AM

Not in your lifetime.

I could see it happening if the church becomes so small that in needing a religious base to keep their much bigger and grander schemes as a profitable corporation going.

Think Qanon morphing into some kind of reaction to all the progress made over the years for women. It definitely appeals to men who want harems of women and don't care if other people see them as extremely sexist.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 01:13PM

It wouldn't make sense to re-start polygamy now that the Mormon church doesn't believe in an eternal chain of progression anymore (getting your own planets and universes to become God of). There is no eternal purpose that says you will need to procreate in the hereafter, nor that you need more than one wife to do it. The whole Mormon plan of salvation as we once knew it is dead, killed by the church itself. To apise the rest of the world, the church sold its birthright for a bowl of porrage. It's all right there in the essays that explain how man becomes like God, which description agrees with just about every protestant and Catholic position on the topic. The church now disavows that as man is, God once was (that God was once a mortal man who committed and repented of his sins). They also disavow that as God is, man may become. From what I can tell from those Essays, beyond this life, you don't need even one wife. That's how far the whole Mormon theology has been watered-down by the church itself now. Why would you require an opposite sex partner if you're never going to be having kids, ever?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 26, 2021 01:51PM

Those are bold assertions without any examples or anecdotal evidence.

The Mormons I know are unaware of "the essays" in content and purpose. The only know they exist and many, if they teach from them, risk being considered less than true believers.

Date: July 27, 2021 01:29PM

What is the definition of the "new and everlasting covenant of marriage"? The "new and everlasting covenant" is a man and a woman being sealed for eternity by the power of the holy priesthood. ... Celestial marriage is essential to a fullness of glory in the world to come.
As far as I can see it has nothing to do with plural marriage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2021 01:31PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: July 27, 2021 03:18PM

The New and Everlasting Covenant is polygamy, no more and no less. The notion that it is "a man and a woman" is modern spin.

If you reread D&C 132, you'll see.

Date: July 27, 2021 03:19PM

"New and Everlasting covenant" is a code word for plural marriage, and you can't get into the highest degree of glory without it. You just can't.

So when they prohibited plural marriage (it took several go-rounds before it was really really prohibited, and maybe even now it really isn't) -- when they prohibited the N&EC, what is a heaven seeker to do? I mean what?

In order to reach the highest degree of glory you have to do something we forbid, and we will ex you if we catch you.

Sheesh!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 11:23AM

They could get away with it if there is a written promise to those who want to participate in the Great & Everlasting Covenant, that no woman will ever have to make another donut, ever.

Date: July 28, 2021 12:11PM

Is ghawd nothing more than a glazed torus?

Toruses or Torii Spelling?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 04:06PM

I don't see it happening as long as the U.S. continues to be the headquarters and center for the church. Of course, "never" has to last for a very long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 04:07PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.