Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 06, 2021 11:32AM

What a mess we have up here in Northern California.

This is no place to be unvaccinated, yet so many refuse to be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 04:30PM

I don't understand their reasoning for not getting vaccinated. I don't get vaccinated for things like shingles and pneumonia, but I had to get this one. It scares me too much.

We can't even see the mountains from our homes because of the smoke here. It looks like we are in Star Wars or something. The sun looked red last evening.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 04:45PM

Shingles is pretty awful too, cl2. I would at least think about that one. I haven't thought about the pneumonia one.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 04:58PM

The Shingles vaccine is a naked power grab by the roofing industry!

Don't say I didn't warn you!!

(Seriously, if they halved the price, the number of people getting it would probably double...)

Date: August 07, 2021 05:02PM

You're right about the price. It's around $250.00 here and yet MDs are busy telling everyone to get it. OK if they're covered but many are not for that particular one.

I usually forget that in the USA medical treatment is often not covered so that's a huge consideration for people. We're so lucky here not to have to worry for even a second about the cost of a medical visit, because there isn't any. My sis had to go to urgent care over the past weekend and there was no charge for anything, including MD, scans and follow up. That's one amazing bonus of being in Canada. Of course, it comes from our taxes but that way is much easier than paying out of pocket at the time of treatment.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 07:17PM

Had the shingles shot 6 or 7 years ago after my wife suffered a bout. I don't recall paying anything for it and had it at the pharmacy department of a grocery store. I believe they have a newer add better vaccine now so need to check to see if I need an update.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 06:46PM

Shingles is usually not life threatening, but it's a month of my life i'd have preferred to spend differently. Scarring is clearing up now a year later.

I got shingles just before i was going to get the vaccine. I've since been vaccinated as it often recurs.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 03:47PM

I went to the Instacare here as I had so much pain and the doctor told me I needed a colonoscopy. Okay, the pain was in the area of my ribs. He took a chest x-ray. Gave me a shot of Toradol and said I'd be fine. My doctor was out of town.

I went to my doctor when she got back in town and she said it was shingles without the rash. Oh, believe me, it is PAINFUL. Then it moved to the other side. I had it for almost a year. She had had the same thing so that is why she knew what it was.

I have postherpetic neuralgia and she said the shingles shot might help with that. BUT my boss got the shingles recently and she got really ill for over a week. Vomiting and diarrhea. She said she wouldn't do it again.

I can get it free. My "husband's" medication the drug company pays $7500 a year on it and that covers our deductible, so after he gets 3 refills, everything is free. I've got enough going on right now that I'm not going to take on a shingles vaccination. I had shingles 6 years ago.

Date: August 07, 2021 04:47PM

Us too in B.C. kathleen. A nightmare on many levels.

Many of the small towns we used to vacation in as kids are in danger from wildfires. It's a shock to hear the familiar names being placed on evacuation alert.

What a summer. What a year.

Good point about the virus and crowded evac centres. I guess/hope everyone will do the best they can in the tough circumstances.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 06:04PM

Smoke's been covering everything for days up here in the Palouse. Northern Cali sounds like a nightmare right now, even without the anti-vax fools.

Stay safe, kathleen.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 06:18PM

ookami Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smoke's been covering everything for days up here
> in the Palouse. Northern Cali sounds like a
> nightmare right now, even without the anti-vax
> fools.
>
> Stay safe, kathleen.

Yes, please stay safe, kathleen.

My heart hurts because I love so much of northern California--and I always feel so deeply for the animals (wild animals, farm animals, pets) who get caught up in wildfires--and for everyone who "is" (at any given moment) losing everything dear to them.

Some years ago my husband and I took a trip around the ghost towns of northern California. (He was prepping for writing a potential new novel series, which turned out to never happen.) The ghost town areas were beautiful territory (even when we were walking around buildings which had literally fallen down), and I felt my California roots very deeply--and, once again, I felt a great sense of gratitude to my parents, who were responsible for me being a native Californian.

I am sorry for everyone caught up in this, including everyone on RfM to whom northern California is home.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 07, 2021 07:02PM

Best wishes as you weather these storms, Kathleen. I can't imagine the combined tragedy of COVID and the annual northern Californian holocaust (small "h").

I hope you and yours remain safe and happy.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 01:30AM

Thank you everybody. I think we will all be okay--after growing up in a "Volcanic" park, we park-service kids gained a certain heightened vigilance. We've stayed in tight touch w/each other into our old age, and are constantly texting to make sure the others are safe.

However, once our beloved Lassen Park caught fire, many of our texts are ... "No words."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 09, 2021 10:27AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, once our beloved Lassen Park caught fire,
> many of our texts are ... "No words."

I know how much that place means to you. Sorry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.