Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 01:47PM

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article253350493.html

Provo mom prays whether to get family vaccinated for COVID. The answer she gets is no, you’ll be fine.Husband contracts COVID and is still in ICU after almost a month. Husband admonishes wife not to give up faith in Jesus Christ or he won’t survive. Wife says she regrets listening to vaccine disinformation but neglects to mention any regret over listening to Jesus. So, believe in the entity who let you get sick or he’ll let you die. Talk about a twisted test of faith. “God works in mischievous——oops, mysterious ways.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 01:52PM

demonstrates limitations of navigating life by Belief

Hope he recovers
May be time for some olive oil

Date: August 08, 2021 02:00PM

Oh yes, olive oil! The original chloroquine.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 02:01PM

This woman has a lot more issues than religion.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 06:15PM

Have faith in jesus or jesus will kill you ?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 12:40AM

It’s the new gangsta Jesus. All the bling he bought at City Creek Mall went to his head.

Date: August 10, 2021 01:09AM

Things have changed drastically in a month. Hubby got the rona when it was kind of rare. What I think all of the fuss is about is better models. They know where the curve is headed before it gets there. It’s why they’ve been been beating the drum hard.

Today’s national case count is 25% of the January peak and climbing fast. The virus could mutate around the vaccines, making them a feel-good measure that only create super strains. My generally ignored advice would be do everything you can to boost your mitochondrial health.

The effects of the pandemic, as bad as they might get, are pretty tame compared to what happened to the Native Americans after Columbus.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 01:14AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The virus could
> mutate around the vaccines

That's a whole lot more likely if there are big pools of unvaccinated people around, for they are the petri dish in which mutations occur. Eliminate those pools and the rate of mutation will fall sharply.

Date: August 10, 2021 02:33AM

There are a handful of vaccines, so not much diversity. Like any species, the virus has a hive mind, or morphic field, that learns as it goes. The hundreds of millions of hosts with the same vaccine offers ideal training conditions for the virus. With those numbers, the virus is likely to find many successful mutations. The problem isn’t just that the mutations survive, it’s that all mutations everywhere are quicker to adopt that survival strategy.

This kind of low diversity, high volume mass vaccination has never been tried before. We’re going on theory, minus any theory of the Akash. Pure survival pressure is going to produce a vaccine race like the regular flu.

Countries with a 100% vaccination rate aren’t doing much better than us because it’s not a silver bullet. The old tried and true methods of 1918 are still needed.

Date: August 10, 2021 03:06AM

This is largely wrong.

------------------
> There are a handful of vaccines, so not much
> diversity.

The Covid vaccines exhibit more diversity than the vaccines against polio, smallpox, MMR, tuberculosis, and any number of other diseases.

---------------
> Like any species, the virus has a hive
> mind, or morphic field, that learns as it goes.

This is woo, not reality.

------------------
> The hundreds of millions of hosts with the same
> vaccine offers ideal training conditions for the
> virus.

False. What offers ideal conditions is hundreds of millions, or billions, of people without any vaccinations. That is where the mutation rates are highest and the variants capable of evading vaccines most likely to evolve, not through morphic nonsense but through random errors in replication.

--------------
> With those numbers, the virus is likely to
> find many successful mutations. The problem
> isn’t just that the mutations survive, it’s
> that all mutations everywhere are quicker to adopt
> that survival strategy.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of virology. Vaccinated individuals have vastly lighter viral loads and hence much lower rates of mutation. Your argument about numbers is therefore misplaced: mutations occur where the virus is least inhibited, not most.

-----------------
> This kind of low diversity, high volume mass
> vaccination has never been tried before.

See the list of diseases above. All of those were suppressed and are managed through what you call "low diversity, high volume" vaccinations--more so, in fact, than COVID, for which there are several vaccines.

---------------
> We’re
> going on theory, minus any theory of the Akash.

Akash?

-----------------
> Pure survival pressure is going to produce a
> vaccine race like the regular flu.

Again, misunderstanding. What renders influenza a moving target is its type: a particularly unstable virus given to much faster mutation. That's what determines whether a disease requires constant boosters.

COVID is a rapidly evolving virus too. Any chance of preventing its transformation into an endemic illness therefore lies in the urgent and comprehensive use of effective vaccines to shrink the pool in which mutations occur.

In my view it's probably too late given that half the world has no vaccines and hence represents a massive petri dish in which mutations can occur. But that is a function of the virus's nature, not of "low diversity, high volume" vaccines.

Indeed, the logical implication of your theory is that no vaccine at all is the right way to go--and that is demonstrably false.

---------------
> Countries with a 100% vaccination rate aren’t
> doing much better than us because it’s not a
> silver bullet.

That is utterly incorrect. The higher the vaccination rate, the smaller the COVID problem. And that will remain the case until the enormous pools of the unvaccinated spawn variants that can circumvent the existing vaccines.

------------------
> The old tried and true methods of
> 1918 are still needed.

That's both temporally and factually specious. Variolation, the use of attenuated material to induce immunity, was practiced in China a thousand years ago; and in the Islamic world centuries ago. In the West smallpox was banished that way starting in the 19th century, and Pasteur developed the rabies vaccine in 1885. So vaccines are far older than 1918.

And factually, "the tried and true methods" were and remain vaccines. Whether they work depends on 1) the stability of the virus, and 2) the number of hosts in which the virus can mutate. Your implied solution would blow the lid off the latter and rob the world of any chance of preventing COVID's becoming endemic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2021 03:12AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 10, 2021 06:03PM

Lot’s Wife, I admire your command of facts and command of language. You wield them like a machete, hacking through the misinformation, specious conclusions, and utter nonsense. Thanks for taking the time to clear the trail.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 06:09PM

She's Dudley Do-Right in a pinafore, with a big caboose...

Date: August 10, 2021 06:16PM

Thank you, Mahu74. Babylon/Bradley is good folks. But this COVID stuff is deadly serious and deserves to be treated as such.

Here's hoping, perhaps against hope, that there's still time to prevent its becoming endemic!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 03:33AM

The only place with ~100% vaccination is Gibraltar

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 06:22PM

So how are people supposed to know which warm fuzzy was a yea or nay from Jebus? He obviously isn't clear in how He communicates.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 10:20AM

Is it asking too much of the Savior to at least "Knock three times on the ceiling" if the answer is yes, "twice on the pipes if the answer is no?"

Date: August 10, 2021 10:47AM

That's what those pesky ghosts do which is why so many people get confused. ;-D

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 06:39PM

> So how are people supposed to
> know which warm fuzzy was a yea
> or nay from Jebus?

I think it's safe to say that each and every religion, sect, cult, mood, and feeling has someone to whom you can be referred for the answer you're seeking...

Otherwise, you'd be in the position you're describing!! "How do I know what it all means?"

Do you think ghawd would leave your eternal salvation, and such, up to chance?! This is why there is only one true ghawd, with one true religion!! And Gladys Lot is her spokesfemale, blessed be her name...

Date: August 08, 2021 07:26PM

Yeah. Too bad they don't have a prophet who communicates with God or something for large groups of gullible people.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 08, 2021 06:59PM

Why didn't he stand on his priesthood hind legs and say, "Let's all go get vaccinated."?

If he dies, the guilt's on her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 07:00PM by kathleen.

Date: August 10, 2021 10:33AM

And if he lives, then was it just a "trial by fire" like they passed. Like Job. Proving that great faith would pull them through?

Religion gives you so many options when it comes to damage control. In the end, it's all about the spin you put on things.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 11:03AM

. . . well, ghawd just needed "another little angel."
"Works in Mysterious Ways."
- Or something.

See, the profound advantage of Belief is:
- no decisions
- no responsibility
- Everything is Awesome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g55SloahAj0

Date: August 10, 2021 10:51AM

" . . . but neglects to mention any regret over listening to Jesus."

I love that line. Made me laugh. Some times a few words are worth a thousand pictures.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 11:11AM

I think if there is a God or whoever made it possible that we are actually existent, gave us a brain for a reason.

Me saying that? In reality, I was so fucked up mentally when I found out my boyfriend was gay, I have had a death wish for all those years since I was 25. I'm 64 now. I cared about him and wanted to make sure he wasn't alone as he didn't know what to do with his life either, so we married to get the bastards out of our lives and figure it out ourselves.

What a mess that all has been. Because I didn't use my brain, but listened to those lovely leaders who just messed my brain up more.

I've said before that when my dad figured it out, he used to ask me, "Did you know before you married him?" Finally I said that, yes, I knew. My dad said, "You are far too intelligent to marry someone gay. They are born that way." But I told him some of the story--my job to save him. My dad was not pleased with what the leaders did to me.

But we have a brain. I give a lot of credit to my neighbor who has her 13, 15,and 17 year olds vaccinated (others are too young) and she is a very good mormon lady. Not taking any chances with her kids. They have the option of using masks here in Cache Valley and she said that her kids will be wearing masks to school.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: August 10, 2021 11:47PM

So many people get confirmation when they pray, that God wants exactly the same thing that they wanted anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.